IF our offense is a run first offense than.....

NY JET 29

Chad will start. Here's why. If were a run first offense there will be a lot of 2nd and shorts, and a lot of 3rd and shorts. Therefore Chad can do his famous dink and dunk throws, and get us many first downs, while our RB's do the dirty work.

I'm telling you Chad will start if we plan on being a rushing offense.

If were a pass first than Clemens will start because he can throw the long ball, but our FA signings lead us to believe we will be run first.

Chad will start. Here's why. If were a run first offense there will be a lot of 2nd and shorts, and a lot of 3rd and shorts. Therefore Chad can do his famous dink and dunk throws, and get us many first downs, while our RB's do the dirty work.

If were a pass first than Clemens will start because he can throw the long ball, but our FA signings lead us to believe we will be run first.

Can we wait until the draft until we proclaim starters. plz. For all we know Tannenbaum could be loading up to draft a crazy receiving core.

Like drafting Donnie Avery and Arman Shields, then everyone will say Clemens is starting because both of those guys can run sub 4.4

Why would Chad Pennington start over Kellen Clemens? Last year Kellen was throw into the fire with a horrible O-Line, Clement as the RT? Montgomery as the LG? Some running game huh?

Look at all the young QB's around the Leauge, Cutler, Vince Young, Romo, Rivers, Brees, Anderson, Big Ben, even Carson Palmer got a chance to shyne as a young QB. Its about time we see what we have in Kellen behind a Solid offensive line with Ferguson and Mangold both entering thier 3rd year as starters, a RT in Woody who has been to the pro bowl and started for the SB Patriots 2001 SB team, a RG in Moore who is becoming a veteran and a 7 Time Pro Bowler in Alan Faneca who is now the starting LG with a running back in Thomas Jones who will be in his 2nd year as the Jets feature back behind a MUCH improved O-Line. Lets actually give Kellen a full offseason with TC and Preseason to gain chemestry with the O-Line and players such as Leon Washington, Thomas Jones, Coles, Cotchery, Baker, and maybe even a rookie that we draft.

We already know what we have in Pennington, a shell of what he once was- a shell of what he could have been. Why slow up the progression of a young QB with potential in Kellen for Chad Pennington? I'm sorry, but this will be Kellens 3rd year in the NFL, if the coaching staff doesnt give him a chance at winning with a solid offense, then why did they draft him in the 2nd round?

Now if we start off 0-2, 1-3, 3-6 or something like that, then yeah, lets see if Chad can save the season, then we may need to draft a QB in the 1st or 2nd round again, but I feel Kellen can be a solid QB for years to come.

Why would Chad Pennington start over Kellen Clemens? Last year Kellen was throw into the fire with a horrible O-Line, Clement as the RT? Montgomery as the LG? Some running game huh?

Look at all the young QB's around the Leauge, Cutler, Vince Young, Romo, Rivers, Brees, Anderson, Big Ben, even Carson Palmer got a chance to shyne as a young QB.

Brodie Croyle, Tavaris Jackson, JP Losman, Rex Grossman, Kyle Boller, Joey Harrington, Byron Leftwich, David Carr, Alex Smith, Matt Leinart.

Just thought I'd throw out some other names. For every example of QB's that panned out there are examples of QB's that have not.

Brodie Croyle, Tavaris Jackson, JP Losman, Rex Grossman, Kyle Boller, Joey Harrington, Byron Leftwich, David Carr, Alex Smith, Matt Leinart.

Just thought I'd throw out some other names. For every example of QB's that panned out there are examples of QB's that have not.

And all the QB;s that I named were actually given a chance to win as a young QB. The players you named like Harrington-Carr never had an O-Line to protect them, Rex Grossman is one of the worst QB's Iv ever seen, Croyle also played behind a horrible O-Line with Herm as the coach as a rookie, Leftwich was a good QB before his injurys, Matt Leinart is still learning and Jackson has some potential

Give Kellen a chance, if he has a season like the plays you named... Well then draft another QB because Pennington is far from the answer

And all the QB;s that I named were actually given a chance to win as a young QB. The players you named like Harrington-Carr never had an O-Line to protect them, Rex Grossman is one of the worst QB's Iv ever seen, Croyle also played behind a horrible O-Line with Herm as the coach as a rookie, Leftwich was a good QB before his injurys, Matt Leinart is still learning and Jackson has some potential

Give Kellen a chance, if he has a season like the plays you named... Well then draft another QB because Pennington is far from the answer

Actually probably the fairest QB to compare Clemens to is Jackson who came out at the same time and was drafted straight after him.

He's probably in a better situation than any other QB in the league in Minnesota and has done **** all with it. Admittedly, he will probably improve but if Clemens plays anything like Tavaris did last year I can guarantee we wont make the playoffs.

In Chad, we'd know what we're getting. In Clemens we could get anything between Rex Grossman to Tony Romo. We just can't be sure.

It all depends on whether Mangini has the balls to go with Clemens or not, Chad would be the safe pick as he's proven he can get good teams to the playoffs before.

Thanks for stopping by Coach Mangini

Welcome to Jet Nation!

You see that's exactly why I think Mangini will go with Pennington. He can't afford to have a bad year this season, especially after Woody making all those signings. If the Jets don't crack .500 this season, I think the Mangini era is over.

That's why I don't think he'll take the risk on Kellen Clemens at QB.

In Chad, we'd know what we're getting.

Exactly.

In Chad, we have a QB who is a shell of what he once was-What he could have been. We all know that we have a QB in Chad who struggles to make a simple out route to the sidelines without it being picked off and taken the other way for 6, opposing CB's wait for the chance to jump a pass from Pennington for an east pick, its sad-but true. Herm Edwards use to support Chad and actually gave him alot of confidence to go out there and make the throws, with Mangini, you can tell that Chad has lost all the confidence inorder to be a winning QB in this game, his swagger is gone.

If Kellen turns out to be a Rex Grossman, so be it, oh well... Another losing season then its time to draft another QB, but if he's the next Carson Palmer and we let him ride the bench for a washed up QB, the only ones that are losing are the Jets.

Derek Anderson BLEW two years ago. They fixed the oline and he had a good season. I think either way, Chad or Kellen can have a good season next year. I'd rather see Kellen though.

No, Anderson is a product of:

1) Braylon Edwards being an amazing, almost can't miss type target.

2) KWII being an amazing, almost can't miss type target.

3) Great Pass Potection

4) Great running game

Admittedly we may have the last 2 (Although we'll never have a 'great' running game with Jones as HB) but that's assuming the O-line does indeed step up in a big way.

However, that being said. Take Winslow and Edwards out of that team and DA sucks IMO. I doubt he's anything more than the product of an absolutely GREAT situation.

Exactly.

In Chad, we have a QB who is a shell of what he once was-What he could have been. We all know that we have a QB in Chad who struggles to make a simple out route to the sidelines without it being picked off and taken the other way for 6, opposing CB's wait for the chance to jump a pass from Pennington for an east pick, its sad-but true. Herm Edwards use to support Chad and actually gave him alot of confidence to go out there and make the throws, with Mangini, you can tell that Chad has lost all the confidence inorder to be a winning QB in this game, his swagger is gone.

I agree with all of this and I'm not talking Chad up as a great QB or as the QB of the future.

However in the past he has shown he can get teams to the playoffs. IMO Mangini feels he needs a successful season, which is why I doubt he'll risk going with Clemens.

You see that's exactly why I think Mangini will go with Pennington. He can't afford to have a bad year this season, especially after Woody making all those signings. If the Jets don't crack .500 this season, I think the Mangini era is over.

That's why I don't think he'll take the risk on Kellen Clemens at QB.

Why does everyone think like that? Look at what Mangini is doing for this Jets 3-4 Defense- Rhodes, Harris, Jenkins, Pace, Coleman, Revis... If he has a losing season its just another losing season. He has learned from BB and BP's, look at BB with the Browns, sometimes its the players and not the coach. Running Mangini out of town could be the worst thing this Jets franchise could ever do. Give him another 3 seasons because I like what this coach has done. When he went and drafted a LT and a Center with the first 2 picks in the draft, I knew we had a football coach who knows what it takes to win in this league.

If the Jets front office were to force Mangini's hand into playing Pennington because he's the "Veteran QB", that would be a mistake by the FO

If he has a losing season its just another losing season. He has learned from BB and BP's, look at BB with the Browns, sometimes its the players and not the coach. Running Mangini out of town could be the worst thing this Jets franchise could ever do. Give him another 3 seasons because I like what this coach has done. When he went and drafted a LT and a Center with the first 2 picks in the draft, I knew we had a football coach who knows what it takes to win in this league.

If the Jets front office were to force Mangini's hand into playing Pennington because he's the "Veteran QB", that would be a mistake by the FO

Why in the name of God would you be prepared to give him another 3 years??? What has he done to deserve that type of special treatment???

If Mangini doesn't get us over .500 with the talent on this team then he deserves to hit the ****ing road.

If defenses do not fear the long ball, then they will stack 8 men in the box and there will be no running game, then your 2nd and short 3rd and short concept goes out the window. You need a qb who is at the very least a "threat" to toss it down field, and Chad is not.

If defenses do not fear the long ball, then they will stack 8 men in the box and there will be no running game, then your 2nd and short 3rd and short concept goes out the window. You need a qb who is at the very least a "threat" to toss it down field, and Chad is not.

I'm sorry but until proven otherwise defenses will fear nothing from Kellen Clemens.

I'm sorry but until proven otherwise defenses will fear nothing from Kellen Clemens.

Just the fact that he has the arm to throw down field, will keep the defenses honest, Just check out the 2nd half of the Ravens game. Teams may not fear Kellen in terms of getting dominated or scared to blitz, but they wont beable to stack the box inorder to stuff the run for the simple fact Kellen still has a strong arm

Not only does Chad Pennington lack the arm in the passing game but because of that-he also hurts the run game. Also, if teams do stack the box, Kellen has the Arm that can beat them deep with one throw

Just the fact that he has the arm to throw down field, will keep the defenses honest, Just check out the 2nd half of the Ravens game. Teams may not fear Kellen in terms of getting dominated or scared to blitz, but they wont beable to stack the box inorder to stuff the run for the simple fact Kellen still has a strong arm

Not only does Chad Pennington lack the arm in the passing game but because of that-he also hurts the run game. Also, if teams do stack the box, Kellen has the Arm that can beat them deep with one throw

He does have the arm, no one's debating that. That doesn't mean teams will respect him.

Teams will stack 8 in the box vs Kyle Boller, Rex Grossman and Tavaris Jackson (who actually tends to get 9 in the box) and until they can prove that they'll consistently take advantage of it, defences will continue to do that.

Same applies to KC.

If Chad starts, unfortunately, there won't be as many 2nd and 3rd and shorts as you think. 9 men up in the box to stop the run with no fear of us going over the top = no running game.

If Chad starts, unfortunately, there won't be as many 2nd and 3rd and shorts as you think. 9 men up in the box to stop the run with no fear of us going over the top = no running game.

No teams will play '9' in the box vs Chad. He will easily go over the top vs that, even if it is a floater pass.

I'm not debating that at all, I'm just saying that nothing will change under Clemens until he proves he can take advantage of it.

He has a much better chance than Chad.

I understand that the Jets QB situation is precarious, but I think Clemens give you guys a much better chance than Pennington.

I understand that the Jets QB situation is precarious, but I think Clemens give you guys a much better chance than Pennington.

I cant believe I agree with a Patriots fan, it must be because it's easter, nah im jk, your a good poster

Its just amazing to me how a fan of another team thinks Chad is no threat to beat his defense. Im done with Chad and it's sad... If not for the Injurys, I believe he could have been a top 5 QB in todays NFL

No teams will play '9' in the box vs Chad. He will easily go over the top vs that, even if it is a floater pass.

They've done it already... they'll do it again. 8 or 9 in the box will be the norm except in obvious passing downs. Any team with 2 decent corners will walk BOTH safeties up... If they're a little worried, they'll only walk 1 up and have 8 up there. A team like the Pats will have the front 7 and Harrison up there.. that stops any run we would like to do.

They've done it already... they'll do it again. 8 or 9 in the box will be the norm except in obvious passing downs. Any team with 2 decent corners will walk BOTH safeties up... If they're a little worried, they'll only walk 1 up and have 8 up there. A team like the Pats will have the front 7 and Harrison up there.. that stops any run we would like to do.

You're crazy. No team will consistently put 9 guys in the box and leave no safeties back unless they're down big and desperate to force a team to throw.

The only team who faces that kind of defence consistently is the Vikes and thats just simply because their running game is almost unstoppable and their QB seriously blows.

Leaving BOTH Cotchery and Coles 1 on 1 at the same time is suicide for any defence no matter who the **** the QB.

I agree. Any defense would LOVE to play against Chad, especially knowing how he can't stretch the field.

You're crazy. No team will consistently put 9 guys in the box and leave no safeties back unless they're down big and desperate to force a team to throw.

The only team who faces that kind of defence consistently is the Vikes and thats just simply because their running game is almost unstoppable and their QB seriously blows.

Leaving BOTH Cotchery and Coles 1 on 1 at the same time is suicide for any defence no matter who the **** the QB.

The Jets haven't had a high scoring offense since 1998. Thats a long time.

Below is where the Jets have ranked in points since 1999.

2007: 25th

2006: 18th

2005: 29th

2004: 17th

2003: 23rd

2002: 15th

2001: 17th

2000: 17th

1999: 19th

Thats sad

And if Chad is the starter once again, look for another 17-25 type of Offense

LOL, how does that apply to my point???

I'm not trying to talk up Chad as a great QB or even a good one. I just think he could take us to the playoffs next season.

Archived