Penn St. leaving Paterno hanging on a contract?

faba

PSU's Paterno unconcerned with retirement, contract situation

Associated Press

Updated: March 30, 2008, 7:27 AM ET

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. -- Munching on a slice of pizza in between sentences, Penn State football coach Joe Paterno didn't look or sound too worried about his future.

So what if he's entering the final year of his contract?

[+] Enlarge

AP Photo/Carolyn Kaster

Joe Paterno, who is 81, will enter his 43rd season as head coach at Penn State this fall.

"I don't even care if I get a contract. I'll be very frank with you," Paterno, 81, said Saturday in his first meeting with reporters in three months. "I think the university will do what they think is right, whenever the time comes. Right now, I'm very comfortable."

"What do I need an extension for?" he asked before joking that he could coach "just another 10 years."

Asked later whether he would feel comfortable going year-to-year, Paterno said "Absolutely. Absolutely. Why not?"

This fall will mark Paterno's 43rd season as head coach, though the man who holds the record for coaching longevity said he isn't mulling retirement. He tried to downplay speculation about his future during the 35-minute news conference following a rare practice open to reporters.

"I have no problem. I'm not looking for a contract, I'm not looking for anything," Paterno said during the often lighthearted exchange with reporters.

School president Graham Spanier and athletic director Tim Curley have spoken recently with Paterno, and Curley has said there is no timetable to make any decisions.

Joe Knows Football

213.gif Penn State coach Joe Paterno leads the list of "mature" coaches in the college football ranks. Here are the oldest coaches in Division I:

NameSchoolAgeJoe PaternoPenn State81 yrs., 3 mos.Bobby BowdenFlorida State78 yrs., 4 mos.Howard SchnellenbergerFlorida Atlantic73 yrs., 8 mos.Dick TomeySan Jose State69 yrs., 9 mos.Rich BrooksKentucky66 yrs., 7 mos.

Paterno, who has no agent, said he hasn't had negotiations, though he has spoken with administrators "about the situation." Save for one instance during his tenure, Paterno said administrators approach him about contract issues, not the other way around.

"I don't see any reason to get into all this stuff," Paterno said, adding that he was hesitant to do anything that would be detrimental to the program's future. "You don't think I'd put this many years into this thing and, you know, want to screw it up?"

Paterno took over as head coach in 1966 from Rip Engle after serving as Engle's assistant for 16 years. The former aspiring lawyer has become the second-winningest major college coach with 372 victories, one behind Florida State's Bobby Bowden.

Paterno said Saturday he wouldn't mind seeing someone on his staff follow in his footsteps, a sentiment he's expressed in the past. Defensive coordinator Tom Bradley, a Paterno assistant for 30 years, might be the top in-house candidate, though JoePa on Saturday steered clear of endorsing a succession plan -- let alone naming names.

"Whether that's in the cards, I don't know right now. It depends on when I get out of it," he said. "If I'm going to leave tomorrow, I would hope that it's in the cards, but I'm not planning on leaving tomorrow."

In practice, a vintage Paterno -- without his trademark khakis rolled up at the cuffs -- stomped up and down the field offering encouragement and needling players after mistakes.

"If the wideouts don't catch the ball, we'll be running off tackle all game," he yelled after a dropped pass over the middle.

Paterno's future doesn't appear to be a hot topic among the players. With eight starters back on offense and seven on defense -- not including suspended tackles Phil Taylor and Chris Baker -- the team has veteran talent that could contend again in the Big Ten.

The focus has been on improving on last year's 9-4 record, linebacker Sean Lee said.

"I just feel that's been an issue for the last 15 years," Lee said about Paterno's future. "People have been playing like it's his last year for a while now."

Receiver Jordan Norwood said contract talk isn't a distraction.

"This is the last year of his contract? See, that's news to me because I don't pay attention," the three-year starter said.

Also making news during the offseason were the suspensions of six players, including Baker and Taylor, for academic or disciplinary reasons. Paterno said the Nittany Lions were "working our way through" the off-field concerns.

"I would hope all of them would be out in the fall, but right now none of them are out," he said.

Finding a quarterback to succeed two-year starter Anthony Morelli is a question that appears more pressing to Paterno than sorting out his contract.

"You know what I'll do when I go home right now?" Paterno asked as he reached into a pocket to reveal a crinkled sheet of paper. "I'll take out this big sheet I got and say, 'So-and-so stunk out the place, and we better get to work on this.' "

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

I know someone close tpo program, and he says they have a 'handshake ' deal with Schiano from Rutgers to take over program when Joe gone. But teh handshake deal is only for about 2 more years, then its off..thats why the panic at PSU. They dont want to lose Schiano, and Joe would go till he was 100 if allowed..

My friend said Joe has zero life outside game..great man and family man, but zero hobbies etc..afraid to leave game..

JoPA is killing penn st

what top flight recruit wants to go play for a 82 year old fart, who could croak in a country minute

If JoPa wants the best for PSU, he would step down now.

assmop is right..and assmop knows i am right about schiano deal,,he knows my contact as well...

haha,,sorry dude,,

maybe you have another source,,

does your source also say schiano??

cause its true...

i have met a former SID from penn state (and florida) a few times who works up at Umaine now. he gave me and my friends courtside passes to a umaine womans game last month right at the stat table.

but i was just busting your ovaries, i wouldn't be surprised though if Paterno was forced out in the next 2 years if thats the case. Joe Pa is damaged goods.

JoPA is killing penn st

what top flight recruit wants to go play for a 82 year old fart, who could croak in a country minute

If JoPa wants the best for PSU, he would step down now.

It's long past time to go. Go travel,sleep late, fish, play golf, play with your grandkids. Though in Paterno's case his grandkids have been out of college for 15 years. PSU has to give him th mesage, and if it upsets peopel, too bad.At this point it's better for evryone including for Paterno that he move on and they get someone else.

As to Schiano, Rutgers may still be Rutgers, but he has a swet deal and he's building something great, and doing it in the biggest media market in the country. WHy go to a Big 10 school when Rutgers figures to be an easier road to a big-time bowl coming out of the Big East? I suspect that the job Schiano really will be gunning for is the one the day 2 or 3 seasons from now when Tom Coughlin puts Exit 16W in his rear view. He might not even have to move.

It's long past time to go. Go travel,sleep late, fish, play golf, play with your grandkids. Though in Paterno's case his grandkids have been out of college for 15 years. PSU has to give him th mesage, and if it upsets peopel, too bad.At this point it's better for evryone including for Paterno that he move on and they get someone else.

As to Schiano, Rutgers may still be Rutgers, but he has a swet deal and he's building something great, and doing it in the biggest media market in the country. WHy go to a Big 10 school when Rutgers figures to be an easier road to a big-time bowl coming out of the Big East? I suspect that the job Schiano really will be gunning for is the one the day 2 or 3 seasons from now when Tom Coughlin puts Exit 16W in his rear view. He might not even have to move.

Schiano HAS a gentlemans agreement,,100% true

Why would you root for Bowdon over Paterno- Joe has been a class act all his career -let him finish number one over Bowden

bowden not all that bad either,,,

remember what he did for marshall ,, not many coaches would have done that

bowden not all that bad either,,,

remember what he did for marshall ,, not many coaches would have done that

I have an incredible respect for Bowden. he is a gentleman and has done a heck of a lot for the sport.

He is much more "hands off" in his coaching, and has delegated a lot more than Paterno in recent years. And that may be to the detriment of the PSU program.

One thing has to happen, Jay Paterno (Joe's son) must leave. Quarterbacks have gone backwards under his tutelage.

I`ve heard Bradley is suppose to replace Paterno but who knows. I dont see Schiano going to PSU, he turned down 2 more prestigous schools in Miami and Michigan to stay at RU.

there is a very good reason he turned down those 2,,becaus eof the handshake deal he had with PSU,,he used to coach there and insiders say his family prefers to live ther elong term over Miami..

the Bradley thing is a Paternmo request,, not whats gonna happen

Joe is going to go when Joe wants to go. And the FO and Alumni are perfectly content with that. You guys who have no idea about Happy Valley or have never been there save for maybe a weekend visit once in your life have no concept of understanding the icon that JoePa is there. In Happy Valley they have the Holy Quaternity-Father/Son/Holy Ghost/JoePa. In fact, JoePa takes precedence over the other 3.

Joe is going to go when Joe wants to go. And the FO and Alumni are perfectly content with that. You guys who have no idea about Happy Valley or have never been there save for maybe a weekend visit once in your life have no concept of understanding the icon that JoePa is there. In Happy Valley they have the Holy Quaternity-Father/Son/Holy Ghost/JoePa. In fact, JoePa takes precedence over the other 3.

that is correct,,but they DO have a handshake with Schiano and certain factions want it sooner rather than later..That is a fact...

doesnt mean it will happen, becaue what u say is true,,\but Schiano has said he will come if it happens in near future

Archived