Interesting article about QB situation

TaborJet

Woody Johnson sacks win-now talk

by Gary Myers

NY Daily News

Monday, March 31st 2008, 4:00 AM

amd_pennington.jpg

Jets' GM Mike Tannenbaum said they will not trade Chad Pennington.

PALM BEACH, Fla. - Chad Pennington is not going anywhere this season. The Jets will not trade him. And Eric Mangini and Mike Tannenbaum aren't going anywhere next year even if the Jets follow last year's dreadful season with another one just as bad.

Even though he has a chance to win back the job he lost to Kellen Clemens last season, a source told the Daily News Sunday that at the scouting combine in Indianapolis last month, Pennington's agent and Tannenbaum, the Jets' GM, had one conversation about whether the Jets would trade him.

Tannenbaum's answer: No.

Pennington wants to start, and Tannenbaum and agent Tom Condon discussed whether the Jets intended to provide him with an opportunity elsewhere. No demands were made by Pennington.

When I asked Tannenbaum yesterday at the league meetings about rejecting the trade inquiry, he said, "Chad is under contract. I'm happy he is here. Eric (Mangini) is happy he is here and the best player will play. Chad is going to be here this year."

Last night, Condon said, "I called and asked them what their plans were for Chad." He was told Pennington will remain a Jet.

Meanwhile, with lots of speculation around the NFL that Tannenbaum and Mangini must win now to keep their jobs after going 4-12 last year, owner Woody Johnson attempted to put an end to that talk.

No matter what happens this season, neither Mangini nor Tannenbaum will be fired, Johnson said. He told The News that Tannenbaum and Mangini "absolutely" will be back in 2009 regardless of the Jets' record this season. "I really think it takes time to build," Johnson said. "You can't do it in one season."

In a wild spending spree, the Jets handed out $63 million in guaranteed money in the free agent/trading market. But Johnson was emphatic that Mangini and Tannenbaum were his guys and were under no greater pressure because of their decision to acquire Alan Faneca, Calvin Pace, Kris Jenkins and Damien Woody.

Even with the upgrades, the Jets have a quarterback problem.

Clemens didn't show enough in his eight starts last year to inspire confidence. For the season, he had five TDs and 10 INTs and a 60.9 QB rating, the lowest of the 33 quarterbacks who qualified for the list.

Pennington's lack of arm strength once again became a huge issue last season. Together, Clemens and Pennington gave the Jets the No. 26 passing offense.

Pennington could easily be the starter coming out of training camp. But he and Clemens could have company this summer. The Jets held a private workout in Boston on March 21 for Boston College quarterback Matt Ryan. It was attended by Mangini, Tannenbaum and offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer. They are the three key QB decision-makers and they all would not have been there if the Jets did not have serious interest in Ryan.

Tannenbaum said the Jets were just performing "due diligence" by working out Ryan, but didn't rule out taking him. Of course, he could just be trying to bait teams into trading up for Ryan if he makes it to the Jets' pick at No. 6, or he could be a steal at No. 6 for the Jets. Ryan is likely to go to the Falcons at No. 3, with the Dolphins expected to pass on him at No. 1.

The Jets are more likely to take a quarterback in the second round and they do like Delaware's Joe Flacco.

Whether Clemens' poor performance was the product of inexperience and not much help from his offensive line - it is now improved with Faneca and Woody - or whether he is just not good enough to be a productive starter, is a question the Jets must answer this year. Unless, of course, Ryan or Flacco becomes their new quarterback of the future.

Thanks Tabor. Nice article. Good to know that Woody realizes that Rome wasn't built in a day and that it will take time. It also makes it easier on Tangini to make sure they rebuild the Jets in the right way and not rush into it for one years glory only to have to do it again the year after this.

by Gary Myers

NY Daily News

amd_pennington.jpg

PALM BEACH, Fla. - Chad Pennington is not going anywhere this season. The Jets will not trade him. And Eric Mangini and Mike Tannenbaum aren't going anywhere next year even if the Jets follow last year's dreadful season with another one just as bad.

Even though he has a chance to win back the job he lost to Kellen Clemens last season, a source told the Daily News Sunday that at the scouting combine in Indianapolis last month, Pennington's agent and Tannenbaum, the Jets' GM, had one conversation about whether the Jets would trade him.

Pennington wants to start, and Tannenbaum and agent Tom Condon discussed whether the Jets intended to provide him with an opportunity elsewhere. No demands were made by Pennington.

When I asked Tannenbaum yesterday at the league meetings about rejecting the trade inquiry, he said, "Chad is under contract. I'm happy he is here. Eric (Mangini) is happy he is here and the best player will play. Chad is going to be here this year."

Last night, Condon said, "I called and asked them what their plans were for Chad." He was told Pennington will remain a Jet.

Meanwhile, with lots of speculation around the NFL that Tannenbaum and Mangini must win now to keep their jobs after going 4-12 last year, owner Woody Johnson attempted to put an end to that talk.

No matter what happens this season, neither Mangini nor Tannenbaum will be fired, Johnson said. He told The News that Tannenbaum and Mangini "absolutely" will be back in 2009 regardless of the Jets' record this season. "I really think it takes time to build," Johnson said. "You can't do it in one season."

In a wild spending spree, the Jets handed out $63 million in guaranteed money in the free agent/trading market. But Johnson was emphatic that Mangini and Tannenbaum were his guys and were under no greater pressure because of their decision to acquire Alan Faneca, Calvin Pace, Kris Jenkins and Damien Woody.

Clemens didn't show enough in his eight starts last year to inspire confidence. For the season, he had five TDs and 10 INTs and a 60.9 QB rating, the lowest of the 33 quarterbacks who qualified for the list.

Pennington's lack of arm strength once again became a huge issue last season. Together, Clemens and Pennington gave the Jets the No. 26 passing offense.

Pennington could easily be the starter coming out of training camp. But he and Clemens could have company this summer. The Jets held a private workout in Boston on March 21 for Boston College quarterback Matt Ryan. It was attended by Mangini, Tannenbaum and offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer. They are the three key QB decision-makers and they all would not have been there if the Jets did not have serious interest in Ryan.

Tannenbaum said the Jets were just performing "due diligence" by working out Ryan, but didn't rule out taking him. Of course, he could just be trying to bait teams into trading up for Ryan if he makes it to the Jets' pick at No. 6, or he could be a steal at No. 6 for the Jets. Ryan is likely to go to the Falcons at No. 3, with the Dolphins expected to pass on him at No. 1.

The Jets are more likely to take a quarterback in the second round and they do like Delaware's Joe Flacco.

Whether Clemens' poor performance was the product of inexperience and not much help from his offensive line - it is now improved with Faneca and Woody - or whether he is just not good enough to be a productive starter, is a question the Jets must answer this year. Unless, of course, Ryan or Flacco becomes their new quarterback of the future.

Here we are at the beginning of the baseball season thinking "J-E-T-S, Jets! Jets! Jets!"

I love it. I know we'll all be posting our thoughts after the draft. I hope they are all happy. I like Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco both and wouldn't mind having either one of them, but I think we should trade down if we can, for another pick or two and try to get Limus Sweed.

I haven't seen much College football this season, so I'm going to have to rely on comments and predictions from the talking heads, but when it all boils down, I think we will come away better off.:character42:

Positive rep for you IJ. You hit the nail on the head. Just like Al Davis said (before he went insane $$ ;) ) just win baby. I went nuts last year when some mOrons here wanted the Jets to start 0-8 just so they would then remove Chad as the starter. WTF??

Those guys really aren't Jets fans. They are Chad haters. Which I never really understood. There are guys that I like on our team and even follow their careers if they get traded, but when if comes down to it. The Jets team is who I root for.

Those guys really aren't Jets fans. They are Chad haters. Which I never really understood. There are guys that I like on our team and even follow their careers if they get traded, but when if comes down to it. The Jets team is who I root for.

I'm exactly the same way. I'm sure there's a ton of people who liked Vilma and will check from time to time to see how he's doing with the Saints. But if the Jets were to play New Orleans you better believe they'll root for the Jets to kick their a$$.

I told you guys months ago that Mangini/Tannenbaum were not getting fired after 2008. No news here.

Right now, they can't possibly say "Oh yeah, we want to trade Chad." Look what happened when they did that with Robertson.

by Gary Myers

NY Daily News

amd_pennington.jpg

I honestly do not find anything Gary Myers writes or says interesting.

Archived