Interesting comments from Rhodes

4HCrew

While being interviewed yesterday on SNY Kerry was told Mangini has said he will be kinder and gentler this year on the players. Kerry laughed and verified the source who was said to be Mangini. He then commented with all of the veteran players brought in Mangini should be not pound on them, that the team is not so young and inexperienced anymore and the veterans should have a voice.

Maybe Mangini has learned something?

Maybe Rhodes & Co. should actually win something before they start dictating how things should go.

If Rhodes is gonna start going soft and thinking he's already accomplished something b/c of his new deal then his signing will prove to be another BT, way too early, big money deal to a guy who produces on bad teams when the season is over.

I worry when I hear things like that.

Faneca's a 7x Pro Bowler who said he's looking forward to a hard camp b/c that's what it takes to win Supes.

Rhodes better not go Hollywood.

Maybe Rhodes & Co. should actually win something before they start dictating how things should go.

If Rhodes is gonna start going soft and thinking he's already accomplished something b/c of his new deal then his signing will prove to be another BT, way too early, big money deal to a guy who produces on bad teams when the season is over.

I worry when I hear things like that.

Faneca's a 7x Pro Bowler who said he's looking forward to a hard camp b/c that's what it takes to win Supes.

Rhodes better not go Hollywood.

Exactly. Rhodes has had two 4-12 seasons, and one 10-6 season in his career. who is he to tell anybody what should be done. go out and do something about it. take it out on the opponents and stop whining about the coach. frickin multi millionaire crybaby's.

interesting take..and what if the coach wears down the players and does not listen to any feedback? is that a recipe for success? sure these guys make millions but at some point the coaching staff needs to be accountable for a 4-12 record.

interesting take..and what if the coach wears down the players and does not listen to any feedback? is that a recipe for success? sure these guys make millions but at some point the coaching staff needs to be accountable for a 4-12 record.

Working hard has a proven track record as long as you win. most hard working teams are successful, especially if they are lacking in talent(like the Jets). the Patriots players hated Belichick in the summer of 2003. but after two more super bowls they all shut up and fed into it.

Working hard has a proven track record as long as you win. most hard working teams are successful, especially if they are lacking in talent(like the Jets). the Patriots players hated Belichick in the summer of 2003. but after two more super bowls they all shut up and fed into it.

I agree. Mangini's hard nosed approach is one of the main reasons I like him as our HC, and those nut busting workouts and camps will pay off in the heat of battle down the stretch. As long as it isnt overdone to the point of injury it is a plus.

Now last year there was talk of Mangini getting his camps to run smoother with a tad less excruciating and over the top workouts/ more "breaks", so it seems hes reigning it in to a more acceptable camp experience for the players while staying serious at the same time. He seems to be progressing/maturing from year to year in terms of his approach to camp.

Exactly. Rhodes has had two 4-12 seasons, and one 10-6 season in his career. who is he to tell anybody what should be done. go out and do something about it. take it out on the opponents and stop whining about the coach. frickin multi millionaire crybaby's.

eh, look at what happened with the G-men with Coughlin last year calming down

they won the superbowl and cemented Eli's legacy as a SUPER BOWL MVP.

most teams in the NFL work hard, most of the time it comes down to talent, coaching and play calling. Are you guys saying Mangini and company were perfect last year and the players let them down? Smart, conditioned, and disciplined is what wins in the NFL. How you go about doing that varies. It is not like Tony Dungy is known for ultra strict and they have been successful.. hell look at the Cowboys and Packers

While being interviewed yesterday on SNY Kerry was told Mangini has said he will be kinder and gentler this year on the players. Kerry laughed and verified the source who was said to be Mangini. He then commented with all of the veteran players brought in Mangini should be not pound on them, that the team is not so young and inexperienced anymore and the veterans should have a voice.

Maybe Mangini has learned something?

SOunds like Coles has been hanging with KR

Right on target BP. Same as the Giants. Once they started winning last year everybody STFU about how hard Coughlin was on them. Winning does that.

This is really being taken out of context. Rhodes hadn't even heard of what Mangini supposedly had said about being calmer and nicer...Rhodes hasn't gone soft and I think he truly did not believe the "calmer and nicer" talk at all. His answer seemed to merely be his honest response to a question that he did not know was coming. The N.Y. Jets will work hard and will play with a lot of grit this year, something mangini and co. know sets the tone for a team. Rhodes is a stand-up guy and team member (if you recall, he never even mentioned needing to have contract negotiations before the start of the season, or threatening to hold-out. He kept his mouth shut, looked freakin huge in the interview and will undoubtedly be ready to play and be our SS for the next 5 years (if not more).

There is definitely a line you can cross from working hard and being overworked. If you overwork, everything goes out the window and that is the sign of a terrible trainer, and a recipe for disaster.

I don't know where Mangini is with that, since I'm not the players. But if you have guys going out there and underperforming, and they've been working hard, it could mean they've been working too hard. Part of being a professional athlete is knowing when you need to rest your body, so that on gameday you are at your peak. Part of being a professional coach, is to know when the players need to rest.

I think it is possible Mangini was leaning a bit towards overworking before, and now he's looking to find that balance a bit better. For some players, they can work harder and it's difficult to overwork them anyway, Mangini's gotta learn how to juggle it correctly for everyone. That's not gonna be easy, but that's why he's the coach, and why it's a tough job. Hermy underworked everyone, but the opposite doesn't mean it's the best.

Archived