Hughes

oxscott

His last two outings were horrible. I personally think that his performance is directly effected by the weather, and that he has a difficult time getting a feel for the ball when its too cold out. Once the warm weather kicks in, Hughes will become the strike machine he was coming up through the system.

I know that most pitches are effected by the weather, but he being the 21 year old kid he is, pitching for the NYY, I think its getting to his head, and he is trying to over pitch.

I am not concerned one bit . . . My theory anyway.

If the cold weather is getting to him now, that isn't a good sign for October nights.

Maybe he's going through a rough patch, and hopefully thats all it is, but he has looked absolutely HORRIBLE in his last two outings. Horrible.

Young pitching is something that you have to stick with and keep giving it a chance.

Half the time they go out there, the results may not look pretty. But you have to hang with it.

Especially a pitcher like Hughes, where his ceiling is not with "electric" stuff, but more so his approach and how he attacks batters.

Some of the talk on this site (one person) that he had HOF stuff, was blatantly unfair and expectations were set too high.

He will be fine in the long run, but a career is a journey, not a sprint.

You really need to tell that to your GM

Brian Bannister seems to be the real deal

Add Kazmir to the list too. Although that was not not Minaya's fault.

Bannister's problematic hamstring made the Mets have to go after El Duque, and with the money that they owed El Duque, along with the epphany of Perez, the Mets felt they had a chip to bargain.

Somewhat like Nolan Ryan for Jim Fregosi.

Add Kazmir to the list too. Although that was not not Minaya's fault.

Bannister's problematic hamstring made the Mets have to go after El Duque, and with the money that they owed El Duque, along with the epphany of Perez, the Mets felt they had a chip to bargain.

Somewhat like Nolan Ryan for Jim Fregosi.

It's early, but Bannister trade might turn out to be worse than the Kazmir debacle.

It's early, but Bannister trade might turn out to be worse than the Kazmir debacle.

The questions is, at the time, would you have kept Bannister over Maine or Perez?

I don't see how they would have done that. And El Duque created a logjam, and they felt they had Humber and Pelfrey in the wings.

Trust me when not many people were moaning and groaning at the time of the Bannister trade.

The questions is, at the time, would you have kept Bannister over Maine or Perez?

I don't see how they would have done that. And El Duque created a logjam, and they felt they had Humber and Pelfrey in the wings.

Trust me when not many people were moaning and groaning at the time of the Bannister trade.

Agreed. At the time of the Bannister trade I did not think anything of it. I figure the Metropolitans were getting rid of a back of the rotation guy at best for a power arm. Hindsight is 20/20. As for the kazmir trade, it was so bad it's pretty much unbelievable when it happened. I am sure the Mets traded for Carlos Zambrano and there was a mix up in paperwork and ended up with the other Zambrano.

His last two outings were horrible. I personally think that his performance is directly effected by the weather, and that he has a difficult time getting a feel for the ball when its too cold out. Once the warm weather kicks in, Hughes will become the strike machine he was coming up through the system.

I know that most pitches are effected by the weather, but he being the 21 year old kid he is, pitching for the NYY, I think its getting to his head, and he is trying to over pitch.

Hughes looks like he's got good enough to stuff to be a very effective pitcher and I think he will be good. But a tad overrated??

You are the 3rd person tat said that same thing to today. I agree wholeheartedly. Once the weather is good, he will light it up.

Archived