This was a poor draft for the Jets.. I think even Tanny would admit it

GIJet

Thats an assumption you just mentioned. I could also "assume" this....

KC could have traded down with the Pats and the Pats could have got gholston. It wasnt like the Jets were going to pick Dorsey...we already got kris jenkins. KC still would have gotten Dorsey and for less money and with more picks.

The reason why The Pats didnt Trade up was for the same reason why the Jets didnt. THey had multiple options. The Jets Had McFadden, Gholston and Mckelvin. The Pats had Gholston, Mayo and whoever else they scouted at that level.

There's no reason to trade up if you can still get your man. Just go ask the Pats.

And your right, why give away so much when you could still get the people that you scouted?? You didnt get your main man, but why give up your second, third and possibly your fourth man just to make sure you got that 1st one? The Pats didnt make a dumb azz move like the Jets didnt make a dumb azz move.

To further add, if the Jets would have traded up then we wouldnt have been able to get Keller.....

McFadden I strongly doubt is worth not having Gholston and Keller as our two 1st round picks.

According to Adam Schein on Jetsnation on SNY both the Jets and Pats were trying to trade up to #5 to pick Gholston because they both wanted him but the Cheifs didnt accept the offers.

But say the Pats did trade up to #5 and picks Gholston, That leaves absolutly noone the Jets wanted. That means trade down and The Saints would have been the team to trade up to pick Dorsey in front of the Cheifs. So the Cheifs could not afford to pass on the player they wanted because they knew he was not going to be there at #7

Worst Case Scenario is that Gholston is John Abraham?

As much as I dislike Abraham that's not a bad worst case scenario at all. I don't know how you can kill the Gholston pick unless you're in love with Derick Harvey or in love with the Jets burning another high draft pick on a DB.

If you remember John Abraham couldn't play in a 3-4 defense...

I almost feel bad for Tanny...

Although D'Brick is a terrible excuse for an top 5 olineman, when the pick was made I got the sense that the Jets truly were confident that they made the right pick...

The 2008 draft is a different story...

Gholston really doesn't seem like the type of player that fits into the program.. It seemed like they were hamstrng into picking him.

1. There was no good value left at 6

2. To keep him away from New England

I think the Jets were hoping that either McFadden or Dorsey fell (so they could make the trade with New Orleans), and that didn't happen.... I think Gholston was their worst case scenario...

What did we get in Gholston?

Best case scenario: Scouts called DeMarcus Ware a workout warrior too... Ware proved them wrong

Worst case scenario: We got ourseles another John Abraham.... For those with astute memories John Abraham as a 3-4 rush OLB= drunk dog that is useless on the field

Most likely scenario: He reminds me of Andre Carter.... Not a bad player... Drafted 7th overall by the 49ers... He also had a great combine.. Carter has always been a good pass rusher ( 10.5 sacks last year) .... He's just so bad against the run that he can't play every down.

I don't think Gholston's problem is that he doesn't try... Who doesn't try when they are on the football field? Is he saying to himself "Gee... I don't think there is any incentive for me to try on this down" No Way! His problem is that he has overmaxed his frame, and can't shed multiple blockers to stop the run...

The Keller move I just hate..

I wouldn't mind if we drafted him at 36, but why trade up for a TE that can't block at all???? Even if Keller was snatched we still would have our choice of numerous other weapons that will probably have a similar impact... ie; James Hardy and Fred Davis... That extra 4th rounder is valuable in this years draft... Let the draft come to you

h

Overall I think the Jets failed in this draft... I would have been happier with the Bills loot; McKelvin and Hardy

Your kidding me right ?

Archived