This was a poor draft for the Jets.. I think even Tanny would admit it

GIJet

I almost feel bad for Tanny...

Although D'Brick is a terrible excuse for an top 5 olineman, when the pick was made I got the sense that the Jets truly were confident that they made the right pick...

The 2008 draft is a different story...

Gholston really doesn't seem like the type of player that fits into the program.. It seemed like they were hamstrng into picking him.

1. There was no good value left at 6

2. To keep him away from New England

I think the Jets were hoping that either McFadden or Dorsey fell (so they could make the trade with New Orleans), and that didn't happen.... I think Gholston was their worst case scenario...

What did we get in Gholston?

Best case scenario: Scouts called DeMarcus Ware a workout warrior too... Ware proved them wrong

Worst case scenario: We got ourseles another John Abraham.... For those with astute memories John Abraham as a 3-4 rush OLB= drunk dog that is useless on the field

Most likely scenario: He reminds me of Andre Carter.... Not a bad player... Drafted 7th overall by the 49ers... He also had a great combine.. Carter has always been a good pass rusher ( 10.5 sacks last year) .... He's just so bad against the run that he can't play every down.

I don't think Gholston's problem is that he doesn't try... Who doesn't try when they are on the football field? Is he saying to himself "Gee... I don't think there is any incentive for me to try on this down" No Way! His problem is that he has overmaxed his frame, and can't shed multiple blockers to stop the run...

The Keller move I just hate..

I wouldn't mind if we drafted him at 36, but why trade up for a TE that can't block at all???? Even if Keller was snatched we still would have our choice of numerous other weapons that will probably have a similar impact... ie; James Hardy and Fred Davis... That extra 4th rounder is valuable in this years draft... Let the draft come to you

h

Overall I think the Jets failed in this draft... I would have been happier with the Bills loot; McKelvin and Hardy

Do you watch college football?

What the hell were we going to do

I think Chris Long was their guy...but he was alot of teams guy

Gholston has huge upside....more than Long

Keller...I'm thinking Vincent Jackson

2 for 2

Solid draft

In Gholston I am afraid that we might have re-acquired John Abraham; The biggest dog in Jets history... They even look alike

28764.jpgVERNONGHOLSTON100_1127.JPG

Mitchell, Brady, Becht, Jolley, Keller...

Im j/k... I dont hate Keller.. Just don't like him enough to support giving up a valuable 4th round pick

Although D'Brick is a terrible excuse for an top 5 olineman, when the pick was made I got the sense that the Jets truly were confident that they made the right pick...

Gholston really doesn't seem like the type of player that fits into the program.. It seemed like they were hamstrng into picking him.

I think the Jets were hoping that either McFadden or Dorsey fell (so they could make the trade with New Orleans), and that didn't happen.... I think Gholston was their worst case scenario...

Best case scenario: Scouts called DeMarcus Ware a workout warrior too... Ware proved them wrong

Worst case scenario: We got ourseles another John Abraham.... For those with astute memories John Abraham as a 3-4 rush OLB= drunk dog that is useless on the field

Most likely scenario: He reminds me of Andre Carter.... Not a bad player... Drafted 7th overall by the 49ers... He also had a great combine.. Carter has always been a good pass rusher ( 10.5 sacks last year) .... He's just so bad against the run that he can't play every down.

I don't think Gholston's problem is that he doesn't try... Who doesn't try when they are on the football field? Is he saying to himself "Gee... I don't think there is any incentive for me to try on this down" No Way! His problem is that he has overmaxed his frame, and can't shed multiple blockers to stop the run...

I wouldn't mind if we drafted him at 36, but why trade up for a TE that can't block at all???? Even if Keller was snatched we still would have our choice of numerous other weapons that will probably have a similar impact... ie; James Hardy and Fred Davis... That extra 4th rounder is valuable in this years draft... Let the draft come to you

h

Overall I think the Jets failed in this draft... I would have been happier with the Bills loot; McKelvin and Hardy

This is a stupid post (no disrespect, only to your post).

There was no good value left at #6 yet he was the "PERFECT" value for the Pats @ #7 huh?

So, you mean to tell me that the Jets front office doesnt draft for the team, the draft to keep players away from rival teams??? If this kid isnt a value pick then answer me these 4 questions.

#1. Why was it that he was projected to be in the top 6 best players of the draft (dont forget we had the #6 pick and NEEDED a DL).

#2. Why was he projected by the analyst as being the 5th best talent of this years draft, and 2nd best at his position, and #1 from his position with the most upside?

#3. Why is it that for months, right after the superbowl all us jets fans kept hearing and saying is "who will the Jets take? McFadden or Gholston"? I ask because it sounds to me that you're making it seem like Gholston wasnt even on the Jets radar, like we just picked him up to piss off the Pats front office.

#4. How can you truely compare him to John Abraham when he hasnt taken an official Pro football snap? Im not saying that he couldnt be the second coming of John Abraham, but you're not saying that he just may be the 1st coming of Vernon Gholston. Im more concerned about Vernon not playing many years in college because of injuries than him being the second coming of whatever football player you decide he's going to be today.

As for Dustin Keller. I agree with the whole Not blocking thing. Thats not cool. But answer me this...how many TE's have we had that Could block but couldnt catch the ball to save their mothers life? I could name a few. You can teach someone how to Block, but you cant teach a TE to catch like posession WR, just ask Anthony Becht or any other TE we've had, outside of Chris Baker, I do like Chris...I do think however as a football player Dustin is a Better "talent" TE and Chris could compliment him on the opposite side of the line which will be great if we have to run the ball Bakers way or bootleg out to Dustin with his 4.5 speed. By the time Kellen finishes running his bootleg and prepared to throw Keller is all ready up the field and pressing the safeties.

Ima keep it 100% with you right now, when the Jets Traded up, I didnt understand, because I thought that they would pick Brandon Flowers now that Joe Flacco was gone, but when the picked this dude I wasnt happy...only because I've never heard of him. I went right to google and did a research when I got the time and looking at his official website and vids on Youtube I can tell you right now, if this dude does anything like what he's done in college then I can honestly say that we've never had a TE like this....atleast as my time being a Jet Fan (Since 1994 as a 13 yr old). The kid has talent. He also blew up at the columbine, he gained alot of respect after his workout.

So I ask you. How was this draft a "failure"?

You think Ravens fans watched all of Joe Flacco's game?

are you serious?? yes, they did watch all of his games. every snap. its called scouting. you think they would just draft a quarterback based on draft projections and word of mouth? come on man...

and i like the draft. we've always needed a TE with speed. he is basically a big WR, he will be split out and create matchup problems. and kellen needs a big target. wasn't what i expected, but i am pleasantly surprised.

There was no good value left at #6 yet he was the "PERFECT" value for the Pats @ #7 huh?

So, you mean to tell me that the Jets front office doesnt draft for the team, the draft to keep players away from rival teams??? If this kid isnt a value pick then answer me these 4 questions.

#1. Why was it that he was projected to be in the top 6 best players of the draft (dont forget we had the #6 pick and NEEDED a DL).

#2. Why was he projected by the analyst as being the 5th best talent of this years draft, and 2nd best at his position, and #1 from his position with the most upside?

#3. Why is it that for months, right after the superbowl all us jets fans kept hearing and saying is "who will the Jets take? McFadden or Gholston"? I ask because it sounds to me that you're making it seem like Gholston wasnt even on the Jets radar, like we just picked him up to piss off the Pats front office.

#4. How can you truely compare him to John Abraham when he hasnt taken an official Pro football snap? Im not saying that he couldnt be the second coming of John Abraham, but you're not saying that he just may be the 1st coming of Vernon Gholston. Im more concerned about Vernon not playing many years in college because of injuries than him being the second coming of whatever football player you decide he's going to be today.

As for Dustin Keller. I agree with the whole Not blocking thing. Thats not cool. But answer me this...how many TE's have we had that Could block but couldnt catch the ball to save their mothers life? I could name a few. You can teach someone how to Block, but you cant teach a TE to catch like posession WR, just ask Anthony Becht or any other TE we've had, outside of Chris Baker, I do like Chris...I do think however as a football player Dustin is a Better "talent" TE and Chris could compliment him on the opposite side of the line which will be great if we have to run the ball Bakers way or bootleg out to Dustin with his 4.5 speed. By the time Kellen finishes running his bootleg and prepared to throw Keller is all ready up the field and pressing the safeties.

Ima keep it 100% with you right now, when the Jets Traded up, I didnt understand, because I thought that they would pick Brandon Flowers now that Joe Flacco was gone, but when the picked this dude I wasnt happy...only because I've never heard of him. I went right to google and did a research when I got the time and looking at his official website and vids on Youtube I can tell you right now, if this dude does anything like what he's done in college then I can honestly say that we've never had a TE like this....atleast as my time being a Jet Fan (Since 1994 as a 13 yr old). The kid has talent. He also blew up at the columbine, he gained alot of respect after his workout.

A GM's worst fear isn't so much missing on player, but passing on a player that turns out to be great..

If Gholston went to the Pats and tormented the Jets for years he would never live it down...

There is a good chance that the Pats would have passed on Gholston IMO... I don't see them paying any rookie 7 million a year....

Also... everyone says that Gholston is a dog... hence the Abraham comparisions..

As for Keller... I don't hate him... I hate giving up a 4th for him.... We got Leon and Kerry in the 4th round.. Its a money round.. cheap starters galore

I surely hope he is more like John Abraham than Andre Carter. Carter produces about once every three years. When healthy, Abe is a beast. I see no reason to believe that Gholston will morph into a gigantic, drunken ***** once he puts on a Jets uniform.

As for Keller, I just don't know. I remember him from the combine and he was impressive, but we had our choice of any WR in the entire draft. Would he have not been there at the Jets' own second round pick? I can tolerate the trade, because we only gave up a fourth, but I'm not sure what the **** they were thinking there. When's the last time we used the TE anyway? If James Hardy, Malcolm Jenkins, or Limas Sweed turns into Brandon Marshall, then Keller had better be the ****ing second coming of Antonio Gates.

A GM's worst fear isn't so much missing on player, but passing on a player that turns out to be great..

If Gholston went to the Pats and tormented the Jets for years he would never live it down...

There is a good chance that the Pats would have passed on Gholston IMO... I don't see them paying any rookie 7 million a year....

Also... everyone says that Gholston is a dog... hence the Abraham comparisions..

As for Keller... I don't hate him... I hate giving up a 4th for him.... We got Leon and Kerry in the 4th round.. Its a money round.. cheap starters galore

You dont get "many cheap starters" in the 4th round very often, especially in the 1st 2 years. unless you've been a poor team like the jets. in other words, we lucked up.

As for passing on great players, we've done that for years, and it wasnt because the Pats wanted them or didnt want them. we made poor draft decisions. However, the Picks that Tanny Boy and Mangini have been putting together the past few years have been f-ing amazing for our team. I could say that 80% of our picks the past 3 years have worked out to our favor. I dont know why we're even having this conversation though, Its not like we simply picked this dude because we didnt want the pats to have him. Please stop giving this team so much damn credit all the time. We needed a pass rusher so we went out and got one, now all of a sudden it has to do with the pats. If the Pats really wanted gholston they could have traded up to KC's spot to get him. They didnt. If the Jets really wanted Mcfadden they would have traded up to the 4th spot. They didnt. We got the best player available at that time and that player happened to fit where we needed help at. Thats it. If we didnt take Gholston then who should we have taken.....that would have been better? And if so, then think of this? why didnt Mangini and Tanny boy think of that?

P.S. Also, Dustin Kellers is considered a "Hybrid". He's a TE with WR tendencies. This is going to be an extreme problem for any team we face. He has the hands and speed of a WR, has the strength of a lineman, in a TE body. It will be really hard to stop this dude. A cornerback wont do it, neither would a safety...and he can burn a linebacker. He's a problem. Mangini will teach him how to block....

We had a "Sick" draft so far. I have not a problem.

Hey, I hated losing a 4th rounder as much as anyone... but we were trading up to take a receiver. Who cares if it was a TE vs. a WR. Keller is pretty impressive. In fact, I don't see many TE's do what he does in those highlight reels.

h

Worst Case Scenario is that Gholston is John Abraham?

As much as I dislike Abraham that's not a bad worst case scenario at all. I don't know how you can kill the Gholston pick unless you're in love with Derick Harvey or in love with the Jets burning another high draft pick on a DB.

The reason Kansas City didn't trade down with NE isn't because NE didn't want Gholston its because KC loved Dorsey. I think if they didn't they'd have been more than happy to drop and pick up some offensive line help. There was no way they were trading that pick unless they were blown away, and NE isn't dumb enough to spend their whole draft on one player.

The reason Kansas City didn't trade down with NE isn't because NE didn't want Gholston its because KC loved Dorsey. I think if they didn't they'd have been more than happy to drop and pick up some offensive line help. There was no way they were trading that pick unless they were blown away, and NE isn't dumb enough to spend their whole draft on one player.

Thats an assumption you just mentioned. I could also "assume" this....

KC could have traded down with the Pats and the Pats could have got gholston. It wasnt like the Jets were going to pick Dorsey...we already got kris jenkins. KC still would have gotten Dorsey and for less money and with more picks.

The reason why The Pats didnt Trade up was for the same reason why the Jets didnt. THey had multiple options. The Jets Had McFadden, Gholston and Mckelvin. The Pats had Gholston, Mayo and whoever else they scouted at that level.

There's no reason to trade up if you can still get your man. Just go ask the Pats.

And your right, why give away so much when you could still get the people that you scouted?? You didnt get your main man, but why give up your second, third and possibly your fourth man just to make sure you got that 1st one? The Pats didnt make a dumb azz move like the Jets didnt make a dumb azz move.

To further add, if the Jets would have traded up then we wouldnt have been able to get Keller.....

McFadden I strongly doubt is worth not having Gholston and Keller as our two 1st round picks.

I wish someone had told the Jets this before they traded up for Keller.

There was no garuntee that he would be there @ 36. Also, there was no "other" player that we could have considered as an addition to the offense that would have been as good recieving the football as Keller. In a situation like that you trade up. If there was a WR or another TE out there that had the skillset then we would have waited...and if keller was taken the we would get our second option. There was no second option, so you do what you have to do to get your man....simple aint it?

P.S. A Receiving Tight End was taken before a Wide "Receiver".....Matter of fact, no WR was taken the entire first round, that should tell you something. The Jets knew we needed a WR but seen that A TE that can Play WR and has the speed and hands of a WR and has the strength of a lineman would obviously be a better choice as well as a trade up for a 1st round pick.

Us Jet fans GOT to get it together.

Giants were taking him, he wasn't going to be there. Stop being negative for the sake of being negative.

Why the f would the Giants take him? Last I checked, Jeremy Shockey ain't wearing a Saints uniform.

I'm OK with the Keller pick, but I do not think we needed to move up and get him. Was he the best receiver in the entire draft? No, he was not. At least he wasn't at this time on Saturday morning. Now that we have drafted him, though, he apparently is.:rolleyes:

Gholston doesn't fit the Jets system and they only picked him to keep him from the Pats? The Pats run the same ****ing system! By all accounts they run it quite well. If he fits them, he fits us. If he is John Abraham then he is a ****ing complete monster and we should all kiss the ground. John Abraham is an absolute beast with two problems, attitude and injuries. Gholston has, knock on wood, no injury concerns and seems to be a coaches pet.

Trading up to get Keller makes sense for a couple of reasons. First they get him for five years instead of four, that is something this regime seems obsessed with - see Revis negotiations last year. Second they must have liked the guy and been afraid somebody else would take him. It's easy to say they could have sat and taken Rucker or Davis, but they must have liked Keller better. I don't agree with all their decisions, but I'm glad they live and die with the players they like and don't just blindly draft a position.

Sure they could have gotten another Leon Washington with that 4th rounder, but Pete Kendall was worth a fourth when everybody knew he was on his way out. Is it really that big a deal? Keller looks like an offensive playmaker, which is what the Jets need. I'm not going to pretend that I knew everything about Keller, but he looked at least as good after the catch as any of the non-midget WRs and we weren't drafting another sub 6' WRs that high. It would be nice if he could block, but how well do Devin Thomas and Sweed really block? Could it be that the Jets don't use the TE because Chris Baker's 4.8 40 didn't him get open much?

It's a little premature to go killing this draft. They got two absolute monster athletes that should cause major matchup problems for opponents. They haven't had that on either side of the ball in the Mangini era. Both picks have the physical ability to be top players at their positions. They might both be busts, but they also both have sick physical ability and to declare before they play a down that they aren't worth it or are already "busts" is idiotic. I can't wait until Gholston rips some 3rd string tackle for a few sacks in the preseason and all the naysayers prematurely jump on the bandwagon.

h

Another glorious example of Fans knowing nothing about football

In Gholston I am afraid that we might have re-acquired John Abraham; The biggest dog in Jets history... They even look alike

28764.jpgVERNONGHOLSTON100_1127.JPG

Mitchell, Brady, Becht, Jolley, Keller...

Im j/k... I dont hate Keller.. Just don't like him enough to support giving up a valuable 4th round pick

WTf are you talking about??

I would love a John Abraham on this team!!! Knock the guy all you want but he could flat out rush the passer. J-Abe was and still is an elite pass rusher when healthy.

I surely hope he is more like John Abraham than Andre Carter. Carter produces about once every three years. When healthy, Abe is a beast. I see no reason to believe that Gholston will morph into a gigantic, drunken ***** once he puts on a Jets uniform.

As for Keller, I just don't know. I remember him from the combine and he was impressive, but we had our choice of any WR in the entire draft. Would he have not been there at the Jets' own second round pick? I can tolerate the trade, because we only gave up a fourth, but I'm not sure what the **** they were thinking there. When's the last time we used the TE anyway? If James Hardy, Malcolm Jenkins, or Limas Sweed turns into Brandon Marshall, then Keller had better be the ****ing second coming of Antonio Gates.

Very well said.

I like this draft so far, but in the end who knows for a few years anyway. The only thing that really concerns me is over the last 2 years we haven't drafted that many players. These guys need to be good...if they don't we have no depth. I really hope they find a way to pick up more picks today.

In addition to the pro-Keller points made in this thread, above, I would add that Mangini and the FO conducted extensive interviews with all of these guys. Character and love of football are very important factors in determining who they draft. It worked last year so there is no reason to expect it wont work again this year. Ironically, love of football was an issue with Gholston so he must have convinced the FO that he does love football and isnt just a gym rat.

Keller has a distinct advantage over Kelly and Hardy in that he will get off the line, which is a huge transition issue for college WRs. Also he plays with incredible intesity. I love Sweed, too, but I can see a world in which Keller is a much better fit for the Jets.

Bottom line, I trust the guys who make these decisions for the JEts. They are smart and hard working. They have had success gleaning talent from the college ranks and deserve the benefit of the doubt.

I rambled a bit here but I hope I made a point.

Why the f would the Giants take him? Last I checked, Jeremy Shockey ain't wearing a Saints uniform.

I'm OK with the Keller pick, but I do not think we needed to move up and get him. Was he the best receiver in the entire draft? No, he was not. At least he wasn't at this time on Saturday morning. Now that we have drafted him, though, he apparently is.:rolleyes:

Whos to say they wanted to and if they had so long Shockey, he may and might have been sent to the Saints for that 2nd they had been talking about, so yes I could see the Giants wanting him.

From at least one report, the Jets were NOT taking either DMC or Dorsey if they fell to them. Theywere being shipped elseware for additional picks unless Gholston was available. Gholston was their target. haven't heard anything about what they were going to do if Long fell to them. While we're talking draft-how about Baker to Atl for one their 3's giving thhen a late rounder or pick next year to match.

Yeah, I hear he does his best work out of the shotgun.

Archived