Tigers 4 GB From Wild Card - It's All Up To Them Now

The Gun Of Bavaria

Well looky looky what we have here. After taking the series against both the CWS and Twins, the once again .500 Tigers find themselves a measly 4 GB from MIN in the WC standings.

There is NO reason, NONE, why the Tigers, given the competition, can't at least compete for the WC this year. Are they going to beat out NY, Oakland or Baltimore.....who knows, chances are no. But why the hell not at least try. They have been hitting the living hell out of the ball since the break and their pitching, well at least from 3 out of the 5 starters remains solid while the suprising bullpen continues to shine.

Maggs is getting hot, Shelton is smoking, Guillen is coming around, Ingle is still strong. There is a lot of hope on this team for the first time since 1987.

It's all up to them right now. .500 has been a death wish for this team all season. It's mark is usually followed by a 6 game skid, at least before the break. Let's see if Tram and Gibby can get their team to put that behind them and compete.

Bonderman for Cy Young award 13 wins is second behing Garland i think. Great battles this year in both leagues for wild card berth- Oakland has come out of oblivion to to be right there also

Bonderman for Cy Young award 13 wins is second behing Garland i think. Great battles this year in both leagues for wild card berth- Oakland has come out of oblivion to to be right there also

Bonderman has this town excited for the first time since Jack Morris. If he gets 20 wins, and why wouldn't he, I think he'll elevate himself to that next level in the eyes of Tigers fans. Not on an Yzerman like level, but he'll be something special.

As for Oakland, is there a hotter team right now in the AL? Don't get me wrong, between a surging A's squad, an always tough Twins team, and the odd man out in the NYY-BOS division battle, it will be very tough for the Tigers to pull it out. I'd be more then satisfied with at least a good fight on the part of the Tigers to take it.

It will be interesting to see what Dombrowski does before the trade deadline. Buy, sell or check

While I'm a diehard Mets fan, I've always liked Detroit in the AL. Gotta love those plain, classic unis with the Old English "D"!

Unfortunately, they won't make it this year. They just need some time. But if you look at their farm system, they are set up to dominate the AL with the great young pitching they have at AAA and below.

They are about two years away, but when all that pitching gets to Detroit, watch out. They're going to be tough to score on, especially in that park.

All the teams in the AL Central, besides KC, are built like this. They're all the same. And they're all going to dominate in the foreseeable future.

The Tigers have been lights out in July, for the most part. Magglio is hot. He's on fire. He's on a 17 game hitting streak. Shelton is an absolute godsend. Brandon Inge is the glue that holds the team together. Pudge has been good this year. Polanco (who's been hurt lately) was a great trade. Gullien has been lights out. Curtis Granderson (whom they just called up!) has been great. Craig Monroe has been good. And the pitchers... despite their numbers, have been damn good. Bonderman is the undisputed Ace of this team. Nate Robertson is just lights out. Jason Johnson actually showed up. Mike Maroth hasn't been that bad. Sean Douglass solidified that number four pitching spot! (He's number four... probably number three... Maroth has sucked and Johnson sucks) Their bully has been lights out. Kyle Farnsworth is just plain nasty. Thank you Chicago!

The city is very excited about this team. When they put a beating on Randy Johnson earlier this month... the stadium was buzzing. It was different from all the other times I've been to Comerica. It was a sign of hope.

The Tigers are coming. Everyone should watch out. The left coast trip... three against Seattle, three against Oakland... if they break even, that'd be great. If they finish above .500 on the trip? that'd be even better.

Archived