WC vs Division Playoff Berth - Does It Really Matter??

The Gun Of Bavaria

One gets you into the playoffs with a pretty banner somewhere in your park. The other gets you into the playoffs w/o said banner.

Sure, we'd all love to win our division and yes, I'd give anything to see the Tigers win the Central. But as the Red Sox (and Marlins if I'm correct) showed, whatever gets you in the door. I used to be anti-wild card, now I'm all for it. With the level of competition in each league, the likelihood of an occasional NFL style 8-8 wild card berth is low. The WC battles, while perhaps not dicated by territorial rivals more times then not, are just as fun to watch as the tight division races. I like the fact that a team like the Tigers and others that while not ready to 'take the next step' on a Yankees or Red Sox like level, have at least something to shoot for. Something to build the team, a common goal to achieve as they try to take their play above their norm. The facts that the Tigers (for lack of a better example) sit here 4 GB from the WC race and have something to focus on as a team this late in the season is great. Will they take it, I highly doubt it, but the pursuit of that WC for a young team like Detroit, the lessons learned and bond formed during that 'race' is priceless.

The WC is good for baseball and in the end, the playoffs is the playoffs is the playoffs.

(Now if they get NHL/NBA like stupid and put half the league in the playoffs, that's an entirely different manner.)

Both get you into the dance. That's what matters. Division is better, no doubt about it, but wild card gets the same thing done.

Then what's the deal with Yankee fans making the excuse "well, if it weren't for the wild card, the Red Sox would have never gotten the chance to win the ALCS"? :shock:

Then what's the deal with Yankee fans making the excuse "well, if it weren't for the wild card, the Red Sox would have never gotten the chance to win the ALCS"? :shock:

If any Yanks fan actually made that comment, then it's pretty ridiculous. Wild Card teams are normally just as good as the division winner with exceptions such as this years White Sox team.

Never seen that said by anyone, and I've never said that. Nice try again, but once again, you fail.

Archived