Jets news& related articles 6/9/08

Kentucky Jet

NEW LB'S 'GHOL': PLAYING CATCH-UP WITH THE JETS

By BRIAN COSTELLO

NEW KID IN TOWN:The JetsNew York Jets ' first-round draft pick, linebacker Vernon Gholston, stretches during the team's mini-camp on Friday in Hempstead.

June 9, 2008 -- Vernon Gholston arrived at Jets mini-camp Friday morning and coach Eric Mangini gave him his first test immediately - name all 84 of his teammates that were sitting with him in the team's auditorium.

"The biggest part of being a team is knowing your teammates and with me it's really just my first time meeting a lot of these guys," Gholston said. "I really haven't worked the names with faces. Coach put me to the test and I had to name the guys. I did OK on it. Some guys you haven't seen so you have to grunt through it."

It was the first test of many for Gholston, whom the Jets selected with the No. 6 pick of the NFL Draft in April. He is behind the rest of the rookies because of an NCAA/NFL rule that prevents rookies from participating in pro camps before their class has graduated from college. Gholston went to Ohio State, which operates on a trimester system, making its graduation date later than most schools.

The rule is intended to keep kids in school longer, but Gholston has not been enrolled since January, when he opted to concentrate on draft preparation. Instead, he has been in Columbus for the last six weeks studying the Jets' playbook, working out and looking for a place to live in New Jersey.

Gholston looked a bit lost at times Friday, especially in pass coverage. He's moving from defensive end to outside linebacker. He shouldn't expect to be cut any slack by Mangini, though, because of the missed time.

"It's not his fault that he couldn't be here, but it's not like he was getting his master's," Mangini said. "He had plenty of free time. In between 'Judge Judy' and what is it, 'Days of Our Lives,' whatever is on during the daytime, you can study. There are enough hours in the day regardless of how many curls you're going to do."

The Jets and Gholston have not reached a contract agreement yet. Only two players drafted before Gholston remain unsigned. The 6-foot-3, 266-pounder said he hopes the deal gets done soon.

Gholston may have looked a bit behind on knowing the defenses, but he certainly has the physical gifts. He was an imposing figure in his No. 56 jersey, something his teammates noticed.

"He's a big dude," safety Kerry RhodesKerry Rhodes said. "It's my first time seeing him in person and he's living up to that Goliath-look they said [he has]. You have to get him to make the right decisions on the field in order to help us. We're going to need it."

brian.costello@nypost.com

- The entire Chris Baker situation is a downer. There are too many positive things going on right now with this team to allow Baker’s persistent complaining to dominate the headlines. The front office needs to make a decision before training camp starts: trade Chris Baker or re-do his contract and shut him up.

I agree wholeheartedly.

If the Jets feel they're good enough at the TE position with Keller, Franks, and Pociask, then they should just cut ties with Baker and be done with it. If they believe (as I do) that they are a better team with Baker, then they should reach out with enough of a token bump to allow him to save face in a bad situation, and -yeah- shut him up already.

They're not getting much -if anything- in a trade for him. It'd be worth not holding out for a seventh round pick just to put this nonsense behind them before camp begins.

I agree wholeheartedly.

If the Jets feel they're good enough at the TE position with Keller, Franks, and Pociask, then they should just cut ties with Baker and be done with it. If they believe (as I do) that they are a better team with Baker, then they should reach out with enough of a token bump to allow him to save face in a bad situation, and -yeah- shut him up already.

They're not getting much -if anything- in a trade for him. It'd be worth not holding out for a seventh round pick just to put this nonsense behind them before camp begins.

I'm leaning towards the cutting of Baker also. With Pociask they can still go with a decent (if not better) power formation with Franks and Richardson, or just Franks. You would be missing out on Baker's solid hands but lets face it, you need to get seperation to even make your hands worthwhile.

Baker's strong suit was not being a focal point of the offense, his strong point was him being a second or third option. Schotty didn't game plan getting baker the ball for a reason.

I'd prefer it if Baker played for the Jets this year but no one is going to offer us a 7th and i doubt anyone offers him a contract worth more than he is getting right now.

I'm leaning towards the cutting of Baker also. With Pociask they can still go with a decent (if not better) power formation with Franks and Richardson, or just Franks. You would be missing out on Baker's solid hands but lets face it, you need to get seperation to even make your hands worthwhile.

Baker's strong suit was not being a focal point of the offense, his strong point was him being a second or third option. Schotty didn't game plan getting baker the ball for a reason.

I'd prefer it if Baker played for the Jets this year but no one is going to offer us a 7th and i doubt anyone offers him a contract worth more than he is getting right now.

Franks is a much better receiver then Baker.

With that said . I do hope Baker is with the team this year. Mostly because Franks, although only 30, has been having a hard time staying on the field. Baker would be a good insurance policy. The problem with giving Baker a small raise to shut him up is, I don't think it will work.

I don't believe Baker wants to compete with Franks. If Franks stays healthy there is no doubt in my mind he will take Baker's starting job.

Keller, while I think he is going to be a very valuable player, just isn't a true TE.

Franks is a much better receiver then Baker.

With that said . I do hope Baker is with the team this year. Mostly because Franks, although only 30, has been having a hard time staying on the field. Baker would be a good insurance policy. The problem with giving Baker a small raise to shut him up is, I don't think it will work.

I don't believe Baker wants to compete with Franks. If Franks stays healthy there is no doubt in my mind he will take Baker's starting job.

Keller, while I think he is going to be a very valuable player, just isn't a true TE.

Yikes, I'm not sure you are giving Baker any credit here. Franks was a much better receiver than baker but has recently dropped more than his fair share of gimmie passes in the last few years. I realize Brett throughs much, much harder than Penny ever dreamed but i've not seen Baker drop many passes at all.

If Bubba stays healthy, he may be far and away better than Baker but i haven't seen anything recently that proves he can.

There is no easy out in this situation, I think you might be onto something that Baker doesn't want to compete with Franks. Baker has seemingly talked his way out of a job.

umm? Franks has had more than a few seasons having over 6 TD's. Baker has yet to get 5 TD's...Unless you are being sarcastic? :confused:

Yeah because Baker spends most of the time blocking. Not to mention the differnce between the QB's they had.

Favre...Pennington :confused0058:

Yeah because Baker spends most of the time blocking. Not to mention the differnce between the QB's they had.

Favre...Pennington :confused0058:

Is that why Baker was so heavily touted when he was a UFA? Oh that's right, nobody even offered him a contract. Take off the goggles amigo, not all Jets are better than proven pro-bowlers.

Is that why Baker was so heavily touted when he was a UFA? Oh that's right, nobody even offered him a contract. Take off the goggles amigo, not all Jets are better than proven pro-bowlers.

What makes you so sure that Franks is going to succeed here ?

He has 41 receptions for less than 400 yards, not to mention only 3 TD's in the last two seasons. He's been hurt and you don't know what he has left.

Baker on the other hand has 41 receptions for more than 400 yards and also 3 TD's. This all in one season.

What makes you so sure that Franks is going to succeed here ?

He has 41 receptions for less than 400 yards, not to mention only 3 TD's in the last two seasons. He's been hurt and you don't know what he has left.

Baker on the other hand has 41 receptions for more than 400 yards and also 3 TD's. This all in one season.

OMG, 3 TD's? Why are we not paying this man? You must be right, Baker is irreplacable, tanny!!?! sign him!

OMG, 3 TD's? Why are we not paying this man? You must be right, Baker is irreplacable, tanny!!?! sign him!

I'm guessing you forgot about our offensive line? Chris Baker is highly underrated and highly underpaid. It will be a loss for us if we lose him.

I'm guessing you forgot about our offensive line? Chris Baker is highly underrated and highly underpaid. It will be a loss for us if we lose him.

baker is average to above average, there are at least 15 TE's that are better than him, meaning he isn't too difficult to replace. No sense in overpaying mediocrity. I thought we learned our lesson of that through the Herm years.

Archived