Court poised to drop fraud suit by Jets fan against Patriots

Lil Bit Special

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2008/06/court_poised_to_drop_fraud_sui.html

The clock is running down on a lawsuit by a New York Jets season-ticket holder that seeks millions from the New England Patriots and coach Bill Belichick for "deceiving customers" by videotaping opponents' signals.

Carl J. Mayer filed the lawsuit in September that maintained that the Patriots' secret videotaping violated the contractual "expectations and rights" of Jets ticket holders "to observe an honest match played in compliance with all laws and regulations."

But Mayer, a lawyer in Princeton known for filing legal actions against New Jersey politicians, has done virtually nothing since to advance the litigation, which sought class-action status.

Records at U.S. District Court in Newark indicate Mayer's last action was a failed effort to serve the defendants with a copy of the complaint in October.

As a result, the court clerk advised Mayer last week that the lawsuit would be dismissed June 30 unless he gives a federal judge a reason it should continue. The clerk's notice cited a court rule allowing dismissal if no proceeding had occurred for 120 days -- four months. No action had been taken for eight months.

Mayer insisted on Thursday that he does not intend to abandon the case, which he filed with a frequent collaborator, lawyer Bruce I. Afran.

"There's another angle in the litigation we're going to pursue," Mayer said. "We haven't dropped the ball."

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2008/06/court_poised_to_drop_fraud_sui.html

The clock is running down on a lawsuit by a New York Jets season-ticket holder that seeks millions from the New England Patriots and coach Bill Belichick for "deceiving customers" by videotaping opponents' signals.

Carl J. Mayer filed the lawsuit in September that maintained that the Patriots' secret videotaping violated the contractual "expectations and rights" of Jets ticket holders "to observe an honest match played in compliance with all laws and regulations."

But Mayer, a lawyer in Princeton known for filing legal actions against New Jersey politicians, has done virtually nothing since to advance the litigation, which sought class-action status.

Records at U.S. District Court in Newark indicate Mayer's last action was a failed effort to serve the defendants with a copy of the complaint in October.

As a result, the court clerk advised Mayer last week that the lawsuit would be dismissed June 30 unless he gives a federal judge a reason it should continue. The clerk's notice cited a court rule allowing dismissal if no proceeding had occurred for 120 days -- four months. No action had been taken for eight months.

Mayer insisted on Thursday that he does not intend to abandon the case, which he filed with a frequent collaborator, lawyer Bruce I. Afran.

"There's another angle in the litigation we're going to pursue," Mayer said. "We haven't dropped the ball."

I didn't realize that videotaping something that everyone in the stadium and on tv could see was illegal.

Carl Mayer is a clown and I hope he goes down in flames.

I hate the Pat's and I think what they've done is bul****, but this is stupid. Even if they win the case against the patriots it won't mean **** for ticket holders. The only one who will really benefit is the lawyer, I hope this goes down in flames.

I didn't realize that videotaping something that everyone in the stadium and on tv could see was illegal.

Well its not the videotaping itself that was illegal (it was against league rules, but not a crime), but what I think the lawyers are arguing is that the unfair advantage from videotaping against league rules robbed Jets ticket holders of the chance to see a fair game, which is what they are paying for. Although I have to say this lawsuit does sound pretty frivolous to me.

Gotta agree. REALLY stupid right from the get go.

Archived