5 players that can make or break the Jets season

Kentucky Jet

Five Players Who Can Make or Break the Jets Season

By Joe Caporoso | June 24th, 2008

E-mail | Print | Share

Whenever somebody asks me if I think the Jets are going to be a playoff team this season, I say that if they get consistent quarterback play they have a chance. Yet, there is more than one player who potentially holds that much weight on the Jets fortunes. These five guys will determine whether the Jets will be 6-10 or 10-6:

Kellen Clemens - In order for the Jets to make the playoffs they need Kellen Clemens to win the starting job and mature into a competent NFL starter. If the guy can play they way he did against Washington and Baltimore last year, the Jets are going to be in the mix for a wild-card spot. The Jets will be no better than an 8-8 team if Chad Pennington wins the starting job, although I am sure I will regret saying that if he beats out Clemens this summer.

Damien Woody - The Jets paid him alot of money to be their starting right tackle. If he turns into the second coming of Anthony Clement, it won

Nine offseason moves that must be madeby Adam Schein

Adam Schein hosts the Sirius Blitz on Sirius NFL Radio from 11-3 ET. He also co-hosts Loudmouths on Sports Net New York every weeknight at 6 ET. He is a weekly columnist and files weekly video reports and makes NFL picks "video style" for FOXSports.com. Email Adam here.

Updated: June 24, 2008, 1:28 PM EST 169 comments add this RSS blog email print We like to say there is no offseason in the NFL. And the end of June and early July will be no exception. Even in the "dead" period in the NFL, there are volatile situations that beg for change and trades.

Here's Schein's nine for June

who tha ***** is eric parker?

something stinks of curtis conway... wait... we already had this discussion... no, scheiny... no... bad... the repetition of historical errors does not a champion make...

you really make me scratch my head sometimes, dude...

steve a****er

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Five Players Who Can Make or Break the Jets Season

By Joe Caporoso | June 24th, 2008

It's easy to list Clemens.

But besides the QB, the most important player on the Jets -IMHO- is Kris Jenkins. If Jet fans are talking about Jenkins being their best offseason acquisition at the end of the year, they could be talking about him well into the playoffs. If Jenkins falls far short of expectations, it's going to be a very long year.

The pass rush never comes into play if the Jets can't stop the run. The offense doesn't get back on the field if they can't stop the run. How an article with this title fails to mention Jenkins is beyond me.

I agree with Slats.

Jenkins is the main key to the season. He has to be a space-eating lineman, allowing Harris and company to make their tackles. This will also free up the LBs for some 1on 1 pass rush opportunities, which should allow Pace,Gholston and Thomas to get some sacks.

The 2nd most important item is the entire offensive line. If Callaghan is the O.Line guru his reputation says he is, then we may have the start of a real good running game, which will allow Clemens to develop as a QB, with the pressure of him having to throw for 300 yards every week gone.

slats is dead-on.

Our new NT will make or break the other six players in the front-7, which will in turn impact the secondary. If Jenkins can dominate his new role the way he did in Carolina our entire defense should benefit.

I also agree that Callahan has a spotlight on him as well. If he can get our five up front to play well together, we will have a dominate running game.

Dominate defense, dominate running game... doesn't matter who's throwing the ball.

Archived