I cannot believe not a single racing fan resides here.

billybroome

In Australia the Sprint Cars are very popular (or were in the early 80's when I lived there) and my family and friends used to go all the time. Dirt tracks, cars going sideways, plenty of noise, and of course the occasional car or 20 flipping over.

People who make fun of racing are ignorant.

Susquehanna_4-13-06_1.jpg

those things are friggin dangerous! When they flip they flip... scary crap... used to watch it on Saturday Night Thunder on ESPN when I was growing up.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Watkins Glen- upstate NY- finger lakes region.

Poconos- where do you think the people come from to watch? Thats right, NY, NJ, CT.

If it was redneck, would they have the Boston Red Sox owning a team? Or the owner of the Montreal Canadians? Nascar roots are southern and the southern fan is the most loyal, but to claim that the sport is only redneck is ignorant and stupid. Sponsors wouldnt spend 25 million a year per team to only appeal to the redneck.

And it takes more of a physical effort to drive a car than it does to play basketball or baseball.

Keep living in your sheltered world. Never experience outside of your little box. Im not asking you to like nascar. I dont care if you do or not. But you have shown you have zero knowledge about anything outside your comfort zone. And thats as bad as being a racist or sexist.

Maybe you should let 124 know that not all NASCAR tracks are ovals.

In Australia the Sprint Cars are very popular (or were in the early 80's when I lived there) and my family and friends used to go all the time. Dirt tracks, cars going sideways, plenty of noise, and of course the occasional car or 20 flipping over.

People who make fun of racing are ignorant.

Susquehanna_4-13-06_1.jpg

Those things are bad to the bone. My home town supposedly has the fastest 1/2 mile dirt oval in the world. When they turned those things loose with their big blocks it was complete insanity.

Yeah, this sport has versitility. It not only has oval tracks, but circular tracks too! :yawn:

I'm not sure who your geometry teacher is but this isn't exactly what I would call a circle...or an oval for that matter...

EIBOVenueMap.cfm?eid=2340&vid=1854

Watkins Glen- upstate NY- finger lakes region.

Poconos- where do you think the people come from to watch? Thats right, NY, NJ, CT.

If it was redneck, would they have the Boston Red Sox owning a team? Or the owner of the Montreal Canadians? Nascar roots are southern and the southern fan is the most loyal, but to claim that the sport is only redneck is ignorant and stupid. Sponsors wouldnt spend 25 million a year per team to only appeal to the redneck.

And it takes more of a physical effort to drive a car than it does to play basketball or baseball.

Keep living in your sheltered world. Never experience outside of your little box. Im not asking you to like nascar. I dont care if you do or not. But you have shown you have zero knowledge about anything outside your comfort zone. And thats as bad as being a racist or sexist.

Upstate New York, f'ing exactly. You made my point on that one.

The Pocono race tracks are full with the people living in the woods of those states and the poconos. The, sorry to say it, less fortunate and redneckish people of this area. Sure they don't have the full on Southern style, but they want to be just like them riding their little quads and all that crap. Trying to be hardcore rednecks flying their Confederate flags.

I'd love to see more than a handfull of non-rednecks at a race track just once. Just once. I've yet to meet someone who actually follows it with great interest that isn't a redneck or redneck wanna-be.

You can talk about other peoples "little boxes" but just because you feel like thats the truth, doesn't mean it is. Nascar IS a redneck/Southern sport. Like it or not. The majority of the fans come from the South or the pooer regions of the rest of the country. Its a poor mans sport. I'm not calling you poor, because I don't know your income, nor do I care to, but Nascar fans generally are from that way of life. That is where you find MOST rebels / rednecks / hicks, what have you.

Upstate New York, f'ing exactly. You made my point on that one.

The Pocono race tracks are full with the people living in the woods of those states and the poconos. The, sorry to say it, less fortunate and redneckish people of this area. Sure they don't have the full on Southern style, but they want to be just like them riding their little quads and all that crap. Trying to be hardcore rednecks flying their Confederate flags.

I'd love to see more than a handfull of non-rednecks at a race track just once. Just once. I've yet to meet someone who actually follows it with great interest that isn't a redneck or redneck wanna-be.

You can talk about other peoples "little boxes" but just because you feel like thats the truth, doesn't mean it is. Nascar IS a redneck/Southern sport. Like it or not. The majority of the fans come from the South or the pooer regions of the rest of the country. Its a poor mans sport. I'm not calling you poor, because I don't know your income, nor do I care to, but Nascar fans generally are from that way of life. That is where you find MOST rebels / rednecks / hicks, what have you.

how can you comment on the Pocono racetrack? Have you been there to see the fans?

No you havent. They come from Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut. And they arent hicks or rednecks.

And I'm someone who's a huge fan (since 1989) and isnt a redneck or redneck wanna-be.

Nascar isnt just a redneck sport. Sorry. You have no clue on what you are talking about. How about instead of just pulling stuff out of your backside you actually do a little research into it.

I dont know how many different ways to tell you but you are wrong, wrong, wrong. Your generalizations are way off base. As I said, these huge companies wouldnt be spending 25 millions dollars a year advertising to poor southern redneck hicks. Sounds like a stupid business plan to me.

And again, why would the Boston Red Sox owners and the owner of the Montreal Canadians become owners in NASCAR if it was only for rednecks?

You can't be serious, can you? Because of the MONEY. All owners care about is MONEY. They can spew you garbage about winning all they want, but anyone who thinks they're serious is a fool, unless its an old school owner like Rooney or Mara, etc. Owners care about one thing and one thing only, the MONEY.

And again, Jersey, Connecticut and New York all have wooded areas secluded from the rest of the world just like every other state. Heck they have counties that are low income-ish or hick-ish, far away from the "real world". The majority of those people come from those places. Go to the racetrack and find someone from Franklin Lakes, NJ or more than a handfull from New York City or places like that.

How many times are you going to dance around these things?

The advertisting and tshirts and blah blah blah make well because of the TV Ratings that they receive and their merchanise is usually cheaper than that of the NFL, MLB, NHL and NBA. I would know.

Do some research of your own. Anyone can say "Oh yeah, thats all the license plates that are there". Its one thing to live in the area and know the type of people that go to events. I've lived in several towns in New Jersey and work at a Sporting Goods store. You see the type of people.

There has been a significant increase in the number of adult NASCAR Fans in 2001 (+19%, up to 75 Million from 63 Million in 2000).

The NASCAR Fan base is younger, more affluent than the U.S. population –and is spread coast-to-coast.

Over 13 Million fans attended NASCAR’s four National Series in 2001.

42% of NASCAR fans earn $50,000+ per year(108 index vs. U.S. pop)

Geographic Breakdown of the NASCAR Fan Base

Regions/U.S. Population/NASCAR Fans/ Index NASCAR Fans vs. U.S. Population

Northeast

20% of population of U.S.

20% Nascar fans come from northeast

100 Index score

Midwest

23% of population of u.s.

24% nascar fans come from midwest

104 index score

South

35% of population of u.s.

38% nascar fans come from the south

109 index score

West

21% of population of u.s.

19% nascar fans come from the west

90 index score

NASCAR had more corporate revenue ($1.5 Bil.) money compared with $445 million for the NFL and $340 million for Major League Baseball.

• Over 65% of NASCAR fans that attend races, are out of towner's, or out state.

17 of top 20 attended sporting events in the U.S. are NASCAR races, with 300,000 at Indianapolis, 220,000 at Texas Motor Speedway (twice yearly), 170,000 Bristol Motor Speedway, TN (twice yearly), 180,000 at Lowe's Motor Speedway, NC (Twice yearly, not included All-Star Race)

You can't be serious, can you? Because of the MONEY. All owners care about is MONEY. They can spew you garbage about winning all they want, but anyone who thinks they're serious is a fool, unless its an old school owner like Rooney or Mara, etc. Owners care about one thing and one thing only, the MONEY.

And again, Jersey, Connecticut and New York all have wooded areas secluded from the rest of the world just like every other state. Heck they have counties that are low income-ish or hick-ish, far away from the "real world". The majority of those people come from those places. Go to the racetrack and find someone from Franklin Lakes, NJ or more than a handfull from New York City or places like that.

How many times are you going to dance around these things?

The advertisting and tshirts and blah blah blah make well because of the TV Ratings that they receive and their merchanise is usually cheaper than that of the NFL, MLB, NHL and NBA. I would know.

Do some research of your own. Anyone can say "Oh yeah, thats all the license plates that are there". Its one thing to live in the area and know the type of people that go to events. I've lived in several towns in New Jersey and work at a Sporting Goods store. You see the type of people.

Dance around what things? I go to races. I see the people attending. Do you? No you dont. You just have to face it. You are dead wrong.

Dance around what things? I go to races. I see the people attending. Do you? No you dont.

Awesome. You see more dirty drunken rednecks than I do. Congrats.

The Northeast is not a place for Nascar, sorry. The only Nascar fans I've ever come across were wanna be rednecks who feel "misplaced" in the best area of the country. Good, move to the South.

I'd continue with it, but clearly you're too thick headed on the subject to understand that the majority of Nascar fans come from the South and the rest around the country are mostly made up of rednecks and wanna be rednecks.

LEFT TURNS!!!!!!

Ricky Bobby must be your hero. ;)

The Northeast is not a place for Nascar, sorry. The only Nascar fans I've ever come across were wanna be rednecks who feel "misplaced" in the best area of the country. Good, move to the South.

I'd continue with it, but clearly you're too thick headed on the subject to understand that the majority of Nascar fans come from the South and the rest around the country are mostly made up of rednecks and wanna be rednecks.

LEFT TURNS!!!!!!

The only fans you've come across... what a dumb statement. How do you tell who is a NASCAR fan? By the way they look? Or that they arent wearing a Jeff Gordon shirt all the time.

You are looking like a complete moron with the statements you make.

And how am I thick headed? Where did I say that racing wasnt popular in the south? In fact didnt I say that where racing is most popular? Oh yeah... it doesnt fit your agenda.

Yet, you seem to miss the stat of 20% of NASCAR fans live in the northeast- same region as you.

As I said, MAJOR NATIONAL COMPANIES DONT SPEND 25 MILLION DOLLARS A YEAR ON POOR REDNECKS. And since over 40% of their fans have an income over 50,000 I'd say there must be a lot of rich rednecks.

Hate on the sport all you want. You want to think its just about left turns? again shows how much of a moron you are.

And I guess the 70,000 cars coming from New Hampshire Motor speedway a few weeks ago with license plate frames from Long Island, Fairfield county, queens, boston, ... guess those were just rednecks who were lost.

I just dont understand how someone like you can make comments like these without knowing the first thing about the sport or the demographics of the sport. You dont watch, follow, attend or care about the sport... so how would you know what the fan base is? Based off of a movie? Then you really are a moron.

As I said, MOST are rednecks and most rednecks do not have the greatest jobs. Some do. Congrats that you saw a couple from Queens (great area) and Boston (where there are poorer areas too) so you could always bring up those points in the argument. :P

You're right, its not about left hand turns. Its about driving. I forgot that. Such intense driving. Vroom Vroom! I like crashes too, thats why I drive on the highway. You can find some cool races on the highways too. Or go cart at the Carnivals. Those are fun. ;)

And no, it has nothing to do with the movie.

VROOM VRROM!

LEFT TURNS!!!!!!

This Post = 124 conceding defeat.

As I said, MOST are rednecks and most rednecks do not have the greatest jobs. Some do. Congrats that you saw a couple from Queens (great area) and Boston (where there are poorer areas too) so you could always bring up those points in the argument. :P

You're right, its not about left hand turns. Its about driving. I forgot that. Such intense driving. Vroom Vroom! I like crashes too, thats why I drive on the highway. You can find some cool races on the highways too. Or go cart at the Carnivals. Those are fun. ;)

VROOM VRROM!

they dont go vroom vroom.

VROOM VRROM!

Dude you work at a freakin' sporting goods store. Who are you to say that they don't have a decent job? By decent if you mean sit on your a$$ and get fat then yeah I suppose their jobs do suck.

Dude you work at a freakin' sporting goods store. Who are you to say that they don't have a decent job? By decent if you mean sit on your a$$ and get fat then yeah I suppose their jobs do suck.

Who am I to say? A sporting goods store is my life. I'm not making lousy bull**** pay like 30 grand or 40 grand a year forever. Hell I'm not making that now, but I'm not staying here like the managers of the stores do. What kind of life is that?

Theres a difference.

i cant be up all night fighting about this.

I have to go to bed so I can be up at 6am for my red neck job. Bubba's gonna be mad if Im late again with his chewin' tobacky.

Night y'all.

G'night Billy Bob Joe Danny Frank. ;)

BTW, I find it VERY hard to believe that 20% of Northeast Americans like Nascar. VERY hard to believe. They must be hiding out in, oh yeah, the sticks of the areas, for the most part.

its not 20% of the northeast is nascar fans.

Its 20% of nascar fans live in the northeast. Thats about 15 million fans

Who am I to say? A sporting goods store is my life. I'm not making lousy bull**** pay like 30 grand or 40 grand a year forever. Hell I'm not making that now, but I'm not staying here like the managers of the stores do. What kind of life is that?

Theres a difference.

Dude you've been going to college for how long now? And still don't know what the fu#ck you're going to do? Don't be so fast to say that you won't be living that life.

Dude you've been going to college for how long now? And still don't know what the fu#ck you're going to do? Don't be so fast to say that you won't be living that life.

Two years. Most people don't even have a major declared after two years. Did you go to college? A lot of people are Undeclared at this point and half of the ones who are declared majors change their minds, at least half, at some point during their college career. Trust me, I won't be living that life. I won't let it happen, or others I know won't let it happen. Either way, it won't happen to me.

Two years. Most people don't even have a major declared after two years. Did you go to college? A lot of people are Undeclared at this point and half of the ones who are declared majors change their minds, at least half, at some point during their college career. Trust me, I won't be living that life. I won't let it happen, or others I know won't let it happen. Either way, it won't happen to me.

No, I didn't go to college because I knew there was nothing for me there. I'm one of those that you apparantly look down on. Who went out and busted their a$$ at "poor" jobs and made something of themselves without the help of others.

No, I didn't go to college because I knew there was nothing for me there. I'm one of those that you apparantly look down on. Who went out and busted their a$$ at "poor" jobs and made something of themselves without the help of others.

How am I looking down at you? I stated most NASCAR fans are either redneck hillibillies or usually, come from the pooer communities. Sorry, but that is what my observation has been from living in the NJ / PA - mostly Pocono / NYC area, living in or around all three. Good for you that you're a hard worker and make your money that way. Thats fine. Remember, in Kansas 40 some grand is like 60 or 70 grand here. Thats good money there.

Actually there is a guy that is affiliate with one of the NE modifieds. JKwaz. He runs out of Riverhead Raceway. Good guy from what I know of him.

When I was a kid I worked at Riverhead Raceway, and a friend of mine is a sponsor for JKwaz's 8X. Those little local tracks are a blast. Figure 8's, Blunderbusts, Demo Derby and the Chitwood show are great.

I'll watch NASCAR from time to time. I'm definitely not a die-hard, but they're fun to watch.

LEFT TURNS!!!!!!

Joe, you need to get out more and stop trying to pigeonhole every sport. I have personally sat in TAP at Kings County Supreme Court and discussed the week's Cup race with ten of the other attorneys on a Monday morning. I'm sure all those pompous jerkoffs wearing their $3,000 suits, with their houses on Todt Hill and Shore Road comparing their Rolex, IWC and Tag Heuer are just the kind of low class, no job having, living in the sticks mother****ers you are talking about. Maybe they just don't shop at Modells.

:yawn:

Heh, it's kinda funny, people say NASCAR is boring because it's all left turns, but the two road courses they race DO have some right turns, and they're among the most boring races there are.

Oh, and for those who think only poor rednecks attend these races, you need to take a look at all of the RVs lined up in the infield during one of the races, or maybe check and see what a ticket to a race costs, or what a hotel room costs when NASCAR is in town. It's actually a very expensive event to attend, much more expensive than a football game.

I'll never understand why people can't just say 'I don't like it', and leave it at that.

Instead, we get a 19 year old kid with 4 semesters of college telling everyone how the world is and how the rest of us are stupid. Joe, you're a good kid, but you're looking very foolish in this thread. Alot of people like NASCAR and a lot of people don't. Racing, while it's roots are in the south, is no longer a 'redneck' sport. It's a multi-billion dollar enterprise.

• 2 months later...

It's a bit foolish I think to equate all NASCAR fans as being dumb, uneducated rednecks. We're all football fans here, but I think all of us could admit, there are a LOT of football fans who are not the brightest people. I offer Raider Nation and, probably a few fans at some Jets game at Giant Stadium as evidence that there are some dumb football fans in this country.

It's an interesting sport. One that involves a lot of strategy, but not one I could ever get into. For me at least, it just takes way too long to develop, for something that only gets interesting either in the last 10 laps or when cars crash and explode. To each their own though. I lived in Tallahassee for 4 years and NASCAR is HUGE there.

Archived