Jets News 7/29/2008

Sperm Edwards

Mike Tannenbaum Opens Up about Brett Favre Rumors

New York Jets GM Tannenbaum finally answers questions about the Brett Favre rumors. David Halpren has the details.

tannenbaum_mike060207_cp_article.jpg

New York Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum was a guest on New York Sports talk radio station WFAN this morning with Boomer (Esiason) and Carton (jerk Craig "Pompous Carton"). The hosts grilled Tannenbaum on many topics and here is an excerpt from the interview:

Carton: Mike, thanks for joining us this morning. Let's get right to it. Brett Favre is being actively shopped around by the Packers and reports have the Jets and Bucs as the most likely destinations. Can you please tell us where the Jets are at in negotiations?

Tannenbaum: Craig, I can honestly tell you that we love the competition we have at the quarterback position this year. Chad looks great so far, Kellen looks just as good, and Eric is extremely excited about the competition.

Carton: Mike, don't be a jerk.

Boomer: Mike, I know you committed in the offseason to have these two guys battle it out, but what about Favre? Will we see him in a Jets uniform before the start of the season? And you can piss Craig off all you want, but you better be straight with me.

Tannenbaum: Boomer, as you know, I have utmost respect for quarterbacks and I look forward to seeing our guys battle it out this year.

Carton: Okay, Mike, I can see you're holding your cards pretty tight to the vest so I'm just going to put this out there. I'm a die-hard Jets fan and I want Favre. The fan base wants Favre. Mangini would kill to have Favre instead of the dogs he's got to work with.

So, I beg you, give me something. Is Brett Favre going to be a Jet?

Boomer: And Mike, before you respond, let me just say that Craig is literally crying, so please be straight with the poor bastard.

Tannenbaum: Guys, I can offer you this. Favre would be willing to come here, but the conditions he has laid out are pretty intense at the moment.

Carton: Mike, that's enough. If you don't bring this guy in here, you will be vilified for the rest of your life. You will be hunted down wherever you go and will be tortured and beaten by Jets fans all over the country. So with that said, tell me what condition has Favre given that could possibly make you hesitate given the alternatives that we have at QB right now? Tell me!

Tannenbaum: Craig, Brett's only condition is that we would have to fire Mangini and bring back Rich Kotite as head coach. So you tell me, how do you feel about it?

[dial tone]

Carton: Okay, Tony from Manhattan is on the FAN, what's up Anthony...?

JETS GIVEN DAY OF REST

By DAN MARTIN

Last updated: 7:04 am

July 29, 2008

Even Jets New York Jets t.gif coach Eric Mangini appears to be tired of trying to figure out who his starting quarterback is going to be.

A day after Chad Pennington Chad Pennington t.gif called on the Jets brass to make a decision regarding the situation, Mangini surprised his team by canceling both sessions of yesterday's scheduled practice, giving it the day off.

The Jets will resume practice today with a pair of practices at 8:45 a.m. and 5:45 p.m. at their training facility at Hofstra. Both practices will be open to the public, so fans can get a glimpse of how Pennington and Kellen Clemens Kellen Clemens t.gif are performing as they vie for the starting spot, while also waiting to see what happens on the Brett Favre front.

dan.martin@nypost.com

Eric Mangini gives Jets day off; meeting with Brett Favre?

BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Monday, July 28th 2008, 8:13 PM

Eric Mangini gave the Jets an unexpected day off from training camp Monday, sending conspiracy theorists into a frenzy: Did he clear his schedule for a clandestine meeting with Brett Favre?

Not according to the Jets.

The reason for the day off, a team spokesman said, was based on giving the players a mental and physical break from the rigors of camp. Camp is only five days old (six practices), but Mangini is applying what he learned during off-season research on physical training and recovery, the spokesman said.

From all indications, the Jets remain interested in Favre, but the interest appears limited and a trade seems unlikely. They've talked to the Packers and Favre's agent, but they reportedly haven't talked directly to Favre.

Training camp resumes today at Hofstra, with open practices at 8:45 a.m. and 5:45 p.m.

Eric Mangini's meeting with Laveranues Coles let WR know he's important

BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Monday, July 28th 2008, 8:40 PM

amd_coles-practice.jpg

Weissman for News

Eric Mangini let Laveranues Coles know how

much he meant to the team in March by

personally flying to meet with him.

It was March, and Laveranues Coles was home in Jacksonville, not with his teammates at the Jets' offseason program. He was upset with his contract, feeling unappreciated. Never afraid to make a public stink - see his divorce from the Redskins in 2005 - Coles and the club appeared headed for a long, ugly dispute.

Then a surprise visitor showed up at his house, and everything changed.

Eric Mangini took the unusual step of flying to Jacksonville to meet personally with his most accomplished wide receiver. It worked. Mangini didn't have him at "hello," but he let Coles know how much he meant to the Jets. If Coles has a soft spot in his hard shell, it's for his team.

"That was the determining factor. That's what did it," Coles told the Daily News at training camp, discussing Mangini's visit for the first time publicly. "Anytime your coach comes down to see you ... enough said. No words can explain it. It says how important I am and how he feels about me and my role on this team.

"Whatever they offered me, I was willing to accept at that point because I knew we were going to be okay. But it wasn't about me. It was about the team. That's what it needed to be about. I didn't need to be a distraction to this team, and I'm not. The Jets are the most important thing, not Laveranues Coles, not Eric Mangini."

If the Jets have a special year, that March meeting will be looked upon as one of the turning points. The coach, perceived by some players as a stoic taskmaster, dropped his guard and made an uncommon effort to placate one of his team leaders. The player, no fan of the coach's ultra-demanding program, opted for team over turmoil.

The Jets tweaked Coles' contract, guaranteeing the final two years - $11 million. Most contracts in the NFL aren't guaranteed. Coles wasn't completely satisfied with the financial outcome - he'll probably press the issue again after the season - but he wanted to move forward after what he described as "the toughest year of my career."

Coles missed four games, ending his iron-man streak at 107 (the longest for an active wide receiver), because of a concussion and a high-ankle sprain. He tried to play through the ankle injury, taking pain-killing injections, but it became unbearable.

After averaging 85 receptions and 1,072 yards from 2002 to 2006, Coles' production dropped to 55 and 646. His burst was gone and he cringed whenever he tried to change direction.

Now he's healthy and having fun in camp - a major upset. In the past, he expressed disdain over Mangini's camp regimen, creating the perception that he didn't get along with the coach.

Mangini respects Coles' leadership, and he praised his willingness to spend time with the young receivers, teaching them the finer points of the position. Coles enjoys that aspect of the job, but he's not ready to step into the mentor role just yet. At 30, he still believes he can be an impact player.

"Now I'm back healthy, and hopefully I can have another Laveranues Coles year," he said.

If Coles has a bounce-back year, it'll create another pressure point in the winter. He already has made it clear he wants to revisit his contract situation.

Asked if he's happy with his current deal, Coles said, "Of course not. That's something we deal with in the offseason. I'm not going to sit here and say, 'Yeah, I'm totally happy.' I've accepted it. We'll deal with it when the time comes again."

Shaun Ellis is NY Jets' be-all, end-all

Posted by wjsulliv July 28, 2008 21:05PM

medium_ellis29.JPG

William Perlman/The Star-Ledger

The Jets' Shaun Ellis takes a breather on

the second day of Jets training camp

Friday in Hempstead, N.Y.

Since the 2000 season, the Jets have had three general managers, three head coaches, four defensive coordinators, several personnel overhauls and have twice switched defensive schemes. There has been one constant throughout: defensive end Shaun Ellis.

"I've seen it all," said Ellis, cracking a smile and shaking his head following practice last week.

Rarely does a defensive end survive so many changes and remain with the same team. That Ellis has is a testament to his talent, versatility and professionalism.

Bill Parcells thought so highly of Ellis that he used the 12th overall pick in 2000 to take the University of Tennessee product and put him to work as a defensive end in the 3-4 system. Herm Edwards came in the following season and had visions of turning the quick Ellis into a Warren Sapp-type defensive tackle.

That two-season experiment failed miserably, but Ellis still had value to the Jets.

In 2003 and 2004, Ellis teamed with John Abraham to form one of the most prolific pass-rushing duos in the NFL. Ellis notched 23

NY Jets cancel practice Monday

by Dave Hutchinson/The Star-Ledger

Monday July 28, 2008, 5:50 PM

Jets coach Eric Mangini canceled practice Monday. And no it wasn't because the Jets wanted to have a secret meeting with Brett Favre. He's not coming.

Instead, Mangini gave his team a mental and physical recovery day. The coach, who has been a relentless taskmaster in his first two seasons, is understanding the value of taking care of his players.

He said he wanted none of his training camp practices to last more than two hours and thus far only one of his six have. That one lasted two hours, two minutes.

Practice will resume Tuesday with a double session.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2008/07/needell_brett_and_brooce.html

Needell: Brett and Brooce!

by Paul Needell/The Star-Ledger

Monday July 28, 2008, 1:21 PM

We stand by our blog last week about there being NO CHANCE Packers QB Brett Favre ends up with the Jets. My man Dave Hutchinson knows the deal, too, even if his "Deep Throat" with the Jets is too cautious to ever say "absolutely not."

Given the early evidence in training camp, the starting QB job will once again belong to Chad Pennington. Kellen Clemens has been dreadful. There, I said it.

randys_radar.gif

It's an Off Day Today, a Full Week Ahead

Published: Mon, July 28, 2008 - 1:30pm EST

ea-headshot-81x63.jpg?1210091013

By Eric Allen

Article Permalink: http://www.newyorkjets.com/blog/posts/586-it-s-an-off-day-today-a-full-week-ahead

07/28 — After four days of training camp and six practices, head coach Eric Mangini will not hold any practices today. The Jets are still in training camp mode, but they’ll get both a physical and mental reprieve to start the week.

The recovery day will give the players a chance to rest not only their bodies but also their minds. Mangini and his coaches have covered a lot of information with the players in a short time. While the players get a moment to relax, the coaching staff will have an opportunity to review and fine-tune for the week ahead.

The Green & White are scheduled to return to the field Tuesday for their third two-a-day with an 8:45 morning session and then a 5:45 nightcap. They are slated for a 1:30 p.m. practice Wednesday and then another standard double session on Thursday. All five of those workouts, along with Jets Fest and Jets Shop, will be open to the public.

Camp will be closed Friday as the Jets prepare for their Green & White practice Saturday. If you have the time and are in the area, you should plan on bringing your family out to Hofstra’s James H. Shuart Stadium for the 1 p.m. kickoff. The Saturday event is going to be a pretty realistic simulation of an NFL game (minus the tackling).

From what I’m being told, they’ll have the national anthem, public-address announcements, TV timeouts and a halftime ceremony celebrating the Jets’ 40 years on Long Island. But the best thing about Saturday is you’re going to get a great look at the 2008 team.

Last year, the Jets held a closed intrasquad at Fordham's Coffey Field. The White, who got a solid performance from QB Kellen Clemens, captured an exciting 24-21 victory over the Green and the winners were rewarded.

“We have one group grabbing box lunches, the other group grabbing Famous Dave's, one group watching 'Sex and the City' on the way home, the other group watching ... I forget what the other movie is, but it's not that," Mangini said following that contest.

The capacity over at Shuart is about 13,000, so plan on arriving early. If you have kids, Jets Fest elements will be outside before the football festivities get under way. And we’re asking everyone to please wear green and white. This is a home game and the loyalists will play an active role.

Jenkins Nose Cooking

In addition to being a pretty good football player, Kris Jenkins appears to be adept in the kitchen as well. ESPN recently shot a segment with Jenkins as he prepared chicken omelets for his teammates, including David Harris, Shaun Ellis and a late-arriving Brandon Moore, at Eric Barton’s house. The finished product looked tasty and we encourage you to take a look for yourself.

Season Tix on the Way

For all those calling, our ticket office passes on the following information: Current season-ticket holders can expect to receive their tickets in the next seven to 10 days via the U.S. Postal Service.

Sirius Delay

Randy’s originally scheduled Sirius NFL Radio appearance was pushed back to a later date. He had been slotted to appear on the network’s Morning Drive Show with Bob Papa and Randy Cross.

Packers | Favre situation to be resolved Tuesday?

Mon, 28 Jul 2008 09:09:30 -0700

Chris Mortensen, of ESPN, reports it appears as though Tuesday, July 29, will be the soft deadline Green Bay Packers retired QB Brett Favre will either report to the team's training camp or be traded. According to Favre, general manager Ted Thompson asked him if he was interested in a trade. "Yeah, but not just to the teams you want me to go to," Favre said, relaying his conversation with Thompson.

http://njmg.typepad.com/pelz/2008/07/the-camp-so-far.html

The camp so far

The Jets didn't practice today, but the players weren't totally off, as it was what Eric Mangini calls 'recovery' time, part of his constantly-evolving approach to training camp. He told reporters before camp that he wanted to 'set up a routine that gives guys a better chance to really take care of their bodies,' and this is part of that.

The first four days were interesting, as Chad Pennington seems to have taken the lead over Kellen Clemens in the QB duel, even with the Brett Favre rumors still swirling. Some other observations:

RB Leon Washington looks great so far, and looks even quicker than last year, if that's possible. [Remember, he had three kickoff returns for TDs.] Mangini and offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer need to get him the ball more this season, and I think he should at least be taken off punt returns to take some special-teams work off his plate.

NT Kris Jenkins, whom I wrote about for tomorrow's Record, appears to be picking up the nuances of his new position quickly. He looks good so far and in my opinion, he is the key to the defense, because if he can occupy people, the LBs will be free to make even more plays.

The position battle for the third, fourth and fifth WRs should be interesting. Impressive so far has been dark-horse candidate David Clowney, probably the fastest of the Jets' receivers. He has shown good hands and a knack for getting open, especially downfield thanks to his wheels.

At RCB, Justin Miller and David Barrett are in a close race for the starting spot. Miller has the early lead, it seems, but both are getting plenty of first-team reps, and Barrett has two of the five picks from the Jets' D so far in camp.

RB Musa Smith, who was plagued by injuries as a Baltimore Raven, has looked sharp so far and could put some head on Jesse Chatman for the third RB spot.

July 28, 2008

SI.com: Jets "fact-finding" on Favre

Peter King of SI.com reports today that "I think I know the Jets New York Jets t.gif are fact-finding about Favre, as are the Bucs. But Favre is lukewarm, at best, about playing in either spot.

"The best thing either team could do is send a GM or owner, or both, to Mississippi today or tomorrow to fact-find with Favre. He doesn't know either team well.

"I know the teams don't want to be seen as groveling around Favre and begging him to come because of the impression it would leave about their incumbent quarterbacks, but Favre's in a sensitive spot right now. He's human. He'd like to be loved a little bit right now, or at least gather some information so if he had to make a decision about whether to accept a trade he'd know more than he knows now."

Jets Monday Morning Recap & Ripping Pro Football Talk

By Joe Caporoso | July 28th, 2008

The Jets have the day off today, which makes this an ideal time to review what has transpired over the first few days at training camp.

First however, over at The Jets Blog (www.thejetsblog.com) an excellent article was posted today about the ridiculous anti-Jets bias over Pro Football Talk. The article discussed at The Jets Blog, which was posted over at PFT was a lazily written, redundant, angry rant by a bitter Patriots fan, who probably just caught a rerun of Tom Brady getting pounded into the turf by Justin Tuck on the NFL network. There is nothing more frustrating than reading somebody who clearly has no knowledge of the Jets roster or history of personnel moves, discuss how

NY Jets cancel practice Monday

by Dave Hutchinson/The Star-Ledger

Monday July 28, 2008, 5:50 PM

Jets coach Eric Mangini canceled practice Monday. And no it wasn't because the Jets wanted to have a secret meeting with Brett Favre. He's not coming.

Instead, Mangini gave his team a mental and physical recovery day. The coach, who has been a relentless taskmaster in his first two seasons, is understanding the value of taking care of his players.

He said he wanted none of his training camp practices to last more than two hours and thus far only one of his six have. That one lasted two hours, two minutes.

Practice will resume Tuesday with a double session.

I think Mangini cancelled practice cause him & tannanbaum were at the BRUCE Springsteen concert last night and didn`t feel like getting up today either..

Archived