Jets Sign 2 Waive 1

jetsrule128

Here are a few transactions for you to munch on with your morning bagel before I go out and take in today's return-to-action morning training camp practice.

The Jets have signed two players. One is WR Rudy Burgess (5'10", 186), a rookie WR whom the Colts signed as an undrafted free agent, then waived Friday.

The Arizona State sports information people labeled him "one of the top all-purpose threats in the nation during his Sun Devil career," and it's easy to see why. In his four college seasons, he lined up at WR, TB and CB and on kickoff and punt returns, totaled 4,379 all-purpose yards and scored touchdowns four different ways (rushing, receiving, passing and KO return).

The other is LB Jerry Mackey. If you've heard his name before, it's not a case of d

Here are a few transactions for you to munch on with your morning bagel before I go out and take in today's return-to-action morning training camp practice.

The Jets have signed two players. One is WR Rudy Burgess (5'10", 186), a rookie WR whom the Colts signed as an undrafted free agent, then waived Friday.

The Arizona State sports information people labeled him "one of the top all-purpose threats in the nation during his Sun Devil career," and it's easy to see why. In his four college seasons, he lined up at WR, TB and CB and on kickoff and punt returns, totaled 4,379 all-purpose yards and scored touchdowns four different ways (rushing, receiving, passing and KO return).

The other is LB Jerry Mackey. If you've heard his name before, it's not a case of d

Smith was cut, as Roger said, for the arrival of Brett Favre and his #4. :)

This also means that Benny Graham is the guy at Punter again for the 2008 season.

I don't like this at all. He was brilliant in his first year--even laying a couple of good blocks and making a few nice tackles--but last season he looked like he'd never seen a football before. Just lost most of the time.

sounds like a ST team ace to me. Both of them actually.

Probably right.

As far as Graham, I wouldnt mind sitcking with him for another season if it gives us a chance at Lechler next year, maybe the best punter in the league and instantly improves the ST unit. All assuming that Oakland doesnt resign him, which is up in the air with Davis at the helm.

Probably right.

As far as Graham, I wouldnt mind sitcking with him for another season if it gives us a chance at Lechler next year, maybe the best punter in the league and instantly improves the ST unit. All assuming that Oakland doesnt resign him, which is up in the air with Davis at the helm.

I'd be okay with having a sh**ty punter, and a team that didn't have have to punt every series. It's one of those nice trade-offs having a decent offense.

Rudy Burgess seems to be a very intriguing prospect, unfortunately I also figure while he does everything well, he probably doesnt excell at anything either.

Anybody know more about him?

I don't about as a RB/WR or CB, but I'm pretty sure he returns kicks well. I think that's what he'd have to do to make it anywhere. He's a midget (5'9" sub 190) so he's not playing RB in the NFL. He had a great year in '05 but his stats were down the last two years. He's fast, but the speed numbers I saw weren't sick (4.45 at pro day, may have gone as fast as 4.38). He was apparently the subject of a fierce battle to sign as an UDFA between the Colts and Jags, so it's interesting the Jets picked him up. Guess they get to the waiver wire first and I think he was born in Brooklyn, but I'm not sure.

Archived