JETS SIGN WR FROM AFL (A PHILLY SOUL PLAYER)

jetsrule128

I REALLY HOPE HE DOES NOT MAKE THE TEAM

To replace waived S Nate Lyles on the 80-man roster and Clowney on the WR depth chart, the Jets announced the signing of WR Larry Brackins, an interesting candidate who just finished playing for a championship team — the Arena League's Philadelphia Soul.

Brackins was Tampa Bay's fifth-round draft pick out of Pearl River CC in Mississippi in 2005. The Bucs made him a last cut in '05 and an even quicker cut in July of '06, but the 6'4", 225-pounder found a home with Philly in the AFL.

Here are Brackins' Arena League totals:

Year Team Recs Yards Avg TDs

2007 Philadelphia 56 786 14.0 20

2008 Philadelphia 107 1395 13.0 29

Totals 163 2181 13.4 49

Gaudy numbers, although of course they were compiled on the AFL's 50-yard fields. We'll see if Brackins' game can translate to the NFL gridiron in the coming days and weeks.

The Jets signed WR Larry Brackens, a fifth-round pick of the Bucs in ‘05. Brackens played recently in the Arena League.

I remember all the expert scouts really liking this kid saying in three or four years he could be a starting receiver. I liked him too.

So much for that.

Hopefully a Practice Squad player and will compete for a roster spot next season. Wallace Wright will be the #5 receiver.

I remember all the expert scouts really liking this kid saying in three or four years he could be a starting receiver. I liked him too.

So much for that.

Hopefully a Practice Squad player and will compete for a roster spot next season. Wallace Wright will be the #5 receiver.

I bet he is better than brad Smith...

heading to camp now

i hope he signs autographs today or tomorrow

he needs to know IT WAS NOT A TOUCHDOWN

It looked better than Vinny's phantom TD against the Seahawks.

Anyway, I'm kinda psyched to've signed this kid. He was definitely something of a minor big deal the year he came out. Got some size and speed. Who knows?

heading to camp now

i hope he signs autographs today or tomorrow

he needs to know IT WAS NOT A TOUCHDOWN

Today's practice was at 1:30pm. So I see you leave at 3pm because practice is over by 3.30pm and then comes autograph time.

Who did you chase down today?

It looked better than Vinny's phantom TD against the Seahawks.

Anyway, I'm kinda psyched to've signed this kid. He was definitely something of a minor big deal the year he came out. Got some size and speed. Who knows?

I didn't really remember him, but I went back and looked him up. He came out in '05 straight out of JuCo. Good prospect, but went to junior college and played basketball and football. He was supposed to be 6'4" 225 and run in the 4.5s. There was some buzz (internet buzz, no real scouting info) about him going as high as the second. He was the only guy invited to the combine straight from junior college. At the combine he weighed in at only 205 and ran 4.58-4.63. Supposedly looked good, but had some drops in the drills. Dropped to the Bucs in the 5th and never made it out of camp in '05 or '06. Guess he's been in the arena league since.

The guy was a project and having the time to mature couldn't have hurt him any. Nobody expects a JuCo guy to jump to the NFL and have immediate success. Maybe he's ready to make the jump, but more likely he's just a guy to take Clowney's reps that is in decent football shape with the arena season just ending.

Apparently there are only 3 guys currently in the NFL that never played at a 4 year school and one is/was Joe Horn.

you know,

I'm kinda going to miss all of this rock-turning after the pre-season. It seems like any kid, in any league, in any country has a fighting chance to make our roster-- until reality sets in.

Maybe he can compete for a practice-squad spot.

At least he's a football player. Last year they were trying out basketball players and wrestlers.

Archived