Great Start!

Jets1Fan

Wow, I dunno about you guys, but I am still flyin high from the noticeable turnaround we put together in the off-season and having it translate to play-making ability on the field. (Granted one game against a not-so-great team in the dolphins, but they're a lot more professional than they were last year).

Some things that really stood out for me were:

1. Our pass rush, I know we didn't have an overly impressive amount of sacks, but our D-Line and LB-Blitz packages gave that O-Line (young, but still NFL talent) fits and the pocket was collapsing all around Pennington. 4 sacks in our first game, is a great start when you only had 29 all '07 season.
  2. I also love the fact, that we haev some big big names on our team, which I am really thinking will help our eventual Defensive standout at the LB Position Vernon Gholston (Along side Harris). The fact that he doesn't have to start right now and come in and have huge insurmountable expectations on his shoulders will prove to be really beneficial to his growth. He's so raw right now, and I feel he doesn't really know how to get off the blocks with great force just yet, the speed of the game is too fast for him right now, but his talent knows no bounds. You just don't see him running out there with reckless abandon (a la L.T. in the 80's and 90's) I want him to start to get mean and nasty and then see him play MLB with Harris. (But I'm also just a huge Gholston fan already)
  3. These points don't go in order of impressiveness, because our Secondary played an excellent ball game. Yes they let Chad do his dinky dump offs and 7yd sideline routes in the last couple minutes, but they showed that they have the ability to make BIG PLAYS and stop BIG PLAYS, something I think we all can safely say has been missing from any secondary we've had in the past. I hope Rhodes/Revis/Lowery will be in our defensive Secondary for years to come.
  4. Brett Favre - no one need talk about what it meant to ALL JETS FANS when we saw that play action. The hairs stood up on the back your neck, a single tear might have been shed, and honestly, even before he threw the ball. The excitement that ALL JETS FANS now have all week long leading up to Sundays is unprecedented. I have said it before when we were all debating Clemens vs. Pennington, [look it up somewhere i posted, i know it's been a long time lol] the fact that Cornerbacks and most especially safeties don't have to even think about the over the top pass when Pennington is at the healm really plays into the opponents' defensive scheme and allows them to play single coverage and commit to stopping the run.
  5. Jerricho Cotchery is going to reap the benefits of Favre's keeping the play alive and his big play ability. Coles, as far as I'm concerned can be traded. He could go ahead and have a big great huge season, I'd be the first to admit I was wrong, but I really don't know what to say. I never thought I would say that about Coles, but I'm ready to appoint Cotchery as No. 1 without a doubt.

These are just some of the things that I saw on Sunday that I am starting to think can take place throughout the season. A season in which it seems like the balance of power in the AFC East is shifting away from the Patriots to the JETS/bills (yeah its true), but not for long.

To everyone, enjoy this weekend's game, I hope it marks the beginning of a new era in the Jets/Pats rivalry, with a JETS victory

(PREDICTION: 31-17 - JETS) Favre 250+ Yds. Passing - T.Jones - 115 Yds. Rushing - M.Kassel held to 175+ Yds. Passing 2 INT's - R.Moss 5 Catches 85 Yds. 1 TD

GO JETS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Coles, as far as I'm concerned can be traded. He could go ahead and have a big great huge season, I'd be the first to admit I was wrong, but I really don't know what to say. I never thought I would say that about Coles, but I'm ready to appoint Cotchery as No. 1 without a doubt.

Why trade Coles? He needs to work on his timing with Favre. That will come soon. Remember he's been injured all through training camp.

Why trade Coles? He needs to work on his timing with Favre. That will come soon. Remember he's been injured all through training camp.

For exactly that reason, he's always injured man. He's a walking Concussion. He's a short receiver, who isn't afraid to go over the middle, but he just winds up concussed every year at some point. As far as I'm concerned he also complains too much, ohh I want money even though we were an atrocious offensive unti, I deserve it. ohhh I want Chad Pennington back because he was good at getting me short passes and never letting me score touchdowns.

I'm honestly fed up with him. That's just me, but it appears to me that there's more upside with Clowney/Stuckey/Henry/Wright/Keller and obviously with Cotchery than letting Coles drain us of money we could spend on a young #2 receiver that will play and positively affect every game.

+1 Coles is a clutch receiver. With him in there, it opens up Cotchery, and we all know what he can do after the catch. After a few weeks together, he and Favre will click.

For exactly that reason, he's always injured man. He's a walking Concussion. He's a short receiver, who isn't afraid to go over the middle, but he just winds up concussed every year at some point. As far as I'm concerned he also complains too much, ohh I want money even though we were an atrocious offensive unti, I deserve it. ohhh I want Chad Pennington back because he was good at getting me short passes and never letting me score touchdowns.

I'm honestly fed up with him. That's just me, but it appears to me that there's more upside with Clowney/Stuckey/Henry/Wright/Keller and obviously with Cotchery than letting Coles drain us of money we could spend on a young #2 receiver that will play and positively affect every game.

Last year was the only season that Coles missed significant time due to injury as a Jet. He is one of the toughest players on the team. Remember too that he doesn't have noodle arm throwing him ducks that were getting him killed the last few seasons.

I agree with you on his complaining, but when all is said and done he comes to play. He gives it his all on gameday, and that's what counts.

None of the receivers you listed are ready to be a #2 (assuming J-Co is #1). In 2 years when Coles contract is up, one or more of these guys will be ready. That's when you would pull the plug.

Our pass rush, I know we didn't have an overly impressive amount of sacks, but our D-Line and LB-Blitz packages gave that O-Line (young, but still NFL talent) fits and the pocket was collapsing all around Pennington. 4 sacks in our first game, is a great start when you only had 29 all '07 season.

I liked the push they got. I love that they can rush the QB from both sides of the line now. They will be able to mask a lot of things and the bottom line is this line should really be able to stop the run (thank you Jenkins) and get to the QB -- thank you Pace!

I also love the fact, that we haev some big big names on our team, which I am really thinking will help our eventual Defensive standout at the LB Position Vernon Gholston (Along side Harris). The fact that he doesn't have to start right now and come in and have huge insurmountable expectations on his shoulders will prove to be really beneficial to his growth. He's so raw right now, and I feel he doesn't really know how to get off the blocks with great force just yet, the speed of the game is too fast for him right now, but his talent knows no bounds. You just don't see him running out there with reckless abandon (a la L.T. in the 80's and 90's) I want him to start to get mean and nasty and then see him play MLB with Harris. (But I'm also just a huge Gholston fan already)

Someday soon hopefully it comes together for Gholston and I think Ellis is going to benefit and have a good year as well.

These points don't go in order of impressiveness, because our Secondary played an excellent ball game. Yes they let Chad do his dinky dump offs and 7yd sideline routes in the last couple minutes, but they showed that they have the ability to make BIG PLAYS and stop BIG PLAYS, something I think we all can safely say has been missing from any secondary we've had in the past. I hope Rhodes/Revis/Lowery will be in our defensive Secondary for years to come.

Safety is a bit of a concern. Seeing Lowery play well makes me feel much better about the corner. Revis is the real deal.

Brett Favre - no one need talk about what it meant to ALL JETS FANS when we saw that play action. The hairs stood up on the back your neck, a single tear might have been shed, and honestly, even before he threw the ball. The excitement that ALL JETS FANS now have all week long leading up to Sundays is unprecedented. I have said it before when we were all debating Clemens vs. Pennington, [look it up somewhere i posted, i know it's been a long time lol] the fact that Cornerbacks and most especially safeties don't have to even think about the over the top pass when Pennington is at the healm really plays into the opponents' defensive scheme and allows them to play single coverage and commit to stopping the run.

It has been a long time since I stood up in the living room while watching a Jets game. That happened on the 2nd series when Favre went yard so to speak.

I can not wait until they announce the offense at the home opener against the Patriots. It hasn't always been the case, but it is good to be a Jets fan right now.

Jerricho Cotchery is going to reap the benefits of Favre's keeping the play alive and his big play ability. Coles, as far as I'm concerned can be traded. He could go ahead and have a big great huge season, I'd be the first to admit I was wrong, but I really don't know what to say. I never thought I would say that about Coles, but I'm ready to appoint Cotchery as No. 1 without a doubt.(PREDICTION: 31-17 - JETS) Favre 250+ Yds. Passing - T.Jones - 115 Yds. Rushing - M.Kassel held to 175+ Yds. Passing 2 INT's - R.Moss 5 Catches 85 Yds. 1 TD

Cotchery is a household name, despite what you may have heard. :-P

\

I'll take 4 sacks a game. That is 64 for the season.

Good post overall.

Thanks for the Post Love, the fact remains though that to me they weren't overly impressive, because they were against an highly inferior O-Line. I would love to see 4-6 sacks a game. I think that is something that we can definitely expect especially with the Big Mr. Jenkins PLUGGING UP MIDDLE RUNNING LANES and having Pace mix up his blitz/coverage schemes and really just having Ellis/Coleman off the edges respectively will put greater pressure on the Quarterback, but this really means that when we blitz to sack the quarterback the pocket has to collapse before our deeper pass coverage breaks down. Guys really can only be covered for so long.

Also, to comment on another raised issue from a different poster, I think the free safety position is definitely an issue that needs to be addressed. But I love Dwight Lowery as our Nickel CB (For now) and hopefully later on Elam and Lowery have a great healthy competition for the eventual starting FS Position.

Couple questions though: Did Elam Start?, (I was too drunk and euphoric to notice lol, J E T S! or was it Smith?)

Also, did Lowery play any FS or just Nickel CB (Did he get any plays opposite Revis, without the nickel being played a/k/a just him and revis? lol)

Thanks for the Post Love, the fact remains though that to me they weren't overly impressive, because they were against an highly inferior O-Line. I would love to see 4-6 sacks a game. I think that is something that we can definitely expect especially with the Big Mr. Jenkins PLUGGING UP MIDDLE RUNNING LANES and having Pace mix up his blitz/coverage schemes and really just having Ellis/Coleman off the edges respectively will put greater pressure on the Quarterback, but this really means that when we blitz to sack the quarterback the pocket has to collapse before our deeper pass coverage breaks down. Guys really can only be covered for so long.

Also, to comment on another raised issue from a different poster, I think the free safety position is definitely an issue that needs to be addressed. But I love Dwight Lowery as our Nickel CB (For now) and hopefully later on Elam and Lowery have a great healthy competition for the eventual starting FS Position.

Couple questions though: Did Elam Start?, (I was too drunk and euphoric to notice lol, J E T S! or was it Smith?)

Also, did Lowery play any FS or just Nickel CB (Did he get any plays opposite Revis, without the nickel being played a/k/a just him and revis? lol)

I think we will get that kind of production if Sutton is more consistently aggressive with the blitzing.

Lowery played the entire game as the starter opposite Revis. He looked great. A natural. Forget about him at FS. revis and Lowery will be the Jets starting CBs for a long time. it looked like Coleman and Barret split nickel back. Miller will probably replace them or at least alternate with them.

Smith played most if not all of the game at FS. He is terrible.

Lowery played pretty much the entire game at CB-not nickel-opposite Revis. Not sure how that shakes out when Miller comes back, but he looked pretty good. Barrett and DColeman saw a decent amount of time. Not sure if Barrett got play at safety or just as an extra CB.

Elam did not start and I didn't notice him on the field except STs. Surprised me because I'm not a big ESmith fan. Looked like Smith was the one that jumped the wrong guy on the Fasano TD.

I dont buy that WR needs to get use to Qb and develope chemistry. and that it takes time. R Moss 1st year with T Brady broke the TD record. Chad threw to TE for like 9 receptions 1st game together. Cutler connected with a rookie WR for over 100 yards and a TD. and there are many More. Thats just an excuse that a Wr needs time with a QB. an excuse that we shouldn't have to be making especially for Coles. Trade coles if it were that easy, I dont know who would take that price tag off our salary cap for a WR thats been on the decline for the past 2 years Plus he's concusion prone. I give coles 2 or 3 more games to show something before I say he's just about done.

I dont buy that WR needs to get use to Qb and develope chemistry. and that it takes time. R Moss 1st year with T Brady broke the TD record. Chad threw to TE for like 9 receptions 1st game together. Cutler connected with a rookie WR for over 100 yards and a TD. and there are many More. Thats just an excuse that a Wr needs time with a QB. an excuse that we shouldn't have to be making especially for Coles. Trade coles if it were that easy, I dont know who would take that price tag off our salary cap for a WR thats been on the decline for the past 2 years Plus he's concusion prone. I give coles 2 or 3 more games to show something before I say he's just about done.

You're forgetting that Favre came to the team way late in camp. In the examples you gave, the QB's and WR's had an entire offseason to work together. Favre didn't even get to work with Coles until just recently. Favre himself said that he expected Coles to cut a little inside on the missed TD pass, something that will be corrected when the two of them get on the same page. Everthing will be clicking in a couple of weeks. Just be patient.

Archived