Jets Hold First Practice in New Fieldhouse

heroesjets

http://www.newyorkjets.com/blog/posts/709-jets-hold-first-practice-in-new-fieldhouse

09/26 — The big news for today's soggy day in Florham town is that head coach Eric Mangini and the Jets are going to take their new fieldhouse out for a spin.

Andy why not? I'm looking out on the outdoor turf field at the Atlantic Health Training Center and the steady rain is punctuating the standing water along the near hashmarks and on the far sideline and has put the area beyond the west end zone under water.

Normally, this kind of day wouldn't have deterred Mangini from taking his team outdoors at Hofstra. But considering that he's got a starting QB and starting NT who don't need slippery footing to help along their injuries, it's time to hold the first practice indoors at the team's new facility.

"We're inside the fieldhouse," the coach announced to reporters at this morning's news conference. "We used to say the bubble {at Hofstra] but it's a little bigger than the bubble."

I'll get you some reaction late in a followup blog late this afternoon from the players this afternoon on their first experiences under the 100-yard-long, 100-foot-high structure.

On those injured players, the I-report won't be out until 4 this afternoon, but Mangini said again that he expects both Brett Favre and Kris Jenkins to be ready to go for Arizona at the Meadowlands on Sunday. And he had a semi-optimistic take on the status of the foot injury that has kept CB/KR Justin Miller sidelined so far this season.

"Justin's good. He's moving along," Mangini said. "Anytime with injuries, time definitely is a huge factor. It's just difficult in the course of the season. You just can't get off it and still be able to get prepared for a game. He's working at it in the treatment room and out on the field. He's like the rest of the group — we'll evaluate him on gameday."

One practice point that the coach mentioned today was that the Cardinals won't have the only defense on the East Rutherford pitch on Sunday that will be flying to the pigskin.

"I thought yesterday was another good day of practice," he said. "I'm pleased with the defense's pursuit to the ball. It's something we emphasize and something they've been doing a good job with. It's another way to improve conditioning, getting 11 hats on the ball. A lot of plays open up when you're chasing the ball. Opportunities happen."

Titan-ic Day

A reminder that the Jets will be wearing their Titans throwback uniforms for Sunday's game. "It's always fun to recognize the history of the organization," Mangini said.

This will be the third time the Jets will be wearing their navy and gold and the first time this season. Last year they lost to the Eagles at home, 16-9, then donned them again for the 40-13 December road defeat of the Dolphins. The Jets are also set to wear the throwbacks for the next game, Oct. 12 vs. Cincinnati.

Drive Time

Eric Allen's and my weekly game preview radio show, "Jets Two-Minute Drive," will be available on newyorkjets.com today at 3 p.m. Our guest this week is Brian Baldinger, who will be analyzing the game for FOX. Baldinger, a New Yorker and Jets fan in his youth, has worked one other Green & White game — the 2003 meeting with Big Blue, won by the Giants, 31-28, in overtime. He has some great memories of that game that you can hear on our site beginning this afternoon.

Favre the Prophetic?

In the first minute of Monday's telecast from San Diego, the ESPN crew was setting the over-under on how many passes Brett Favre was going to throw against the Chargers. The number in the booth was about 48 passes. Then Ron Jaworski reported that Favre "said he wanted 30 completions when I spoke to him yesterday." Favre, of course, finished 30-for-42.

What better way to cure your rainy Friday morning blues than to digest some tidbits from Eric Mangini's pre-practice press conference. (The Jets will practice in the field house -- it's kind of like a Bubble, but much bigger.)

First and foremost, Mangini said he fully expects Brett Favre (left ankle) and NT Kris Jenkins (back) to be ready to go for Sunday's game against the Cardinals. The coach said DB Justin Miller (toe) was "moving along," but remained noncommittal about his status for Sunday.

Mangini wasn't overly concerned that rookie CB Dwight Lowery looked well, like a rookie, on Monday. Lowery broke up a pass early in the game, but was beat by TE Antonio Gates for a short touchdown and beat deep WR Vincent Jackson late in the game.

"There are things that he did that are correctable," Mangini said. "And things that he did that I'm sure if he had another opportunity to do it, he would do it better. Dwight's a guy who's very good at self-correcting and working on the weaknesses that he may have or things that he needs to improve on."

"Every week there's going to be two or three guys that are going to create challenges," Mangini added. "Sometimes it's going to be a little guy, sometimes a fast guy, sometimes it's going to be the big, physical receiver. You have to have that ability to gauge what you need to do against all those different styles of players."

With all the focus on the Cardinals' dynamic WR duo of Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin, it's easy to lose sight of the fact that veteran RB Edgerrin James is off to a solid start. James has rushed for 248 yards on 62 carries (4.0 ypc) through three games. Rookie Tim Hightower has also played well in short yardage/goal line situations.

"(James) is a very good back," said Mangini. "He has great vision. He can see some things that some other backs can't see and be able to hit (the hole). He's a physical running back that carries him for some yards after contact. (They have) an aggressive offensive line that's extremely physical. Ken (Whisenhunt) is very committed the run. He always has been. You see that here with the Cardinals."

The Jets practiced inside today, which is a little unusual given the rain was pretty light and there was no lightening. Reporters got to watch the first 45 minutes of practice, and was a lot of special teams. The O Line and D Line worked out is opposite corners, and the four quarterbacks threw to one another.

Jets coach Eric Mangini reiterated that QB Brett Favre and NT Kris Jenkins will probably be ready to go on Sunday.

How long is it going to take the mods here to realize that JR128 hasnt stopped posting threads? Just wonderin'.

How long is it going to take for people to mind their own ****ing business?

J/K...

We are monitoring the situation closely.

As long as he's posting football-related articles and not mentioning Big Brother, or trying to break into Hofstra, or stalking the players, I don't have a problem with it. I mean, he is including the links so the site won't get in trouble. As long as he keeps his posts about only football-related stuff, he probably won't see much of a backlash from the other posters.

Granted, creating a separate name just so he could bypass the mod's ban on starting new threads was pretty ballsy, and probably could have resulted in a long-term ban, so that wasn't too smart on his part.

As long as he's posting football-related articles and not mentioning Big Brother, or trying to break into Hofstra, or stalking the players, I don't have a problem with it. I mean, he is including the links so the site won't get in trouble. As long as he keeps his posts about only football-related stuff, he probably won't see much of a backlash from the other posters.

Granted, creating a separate name just so he could bypass the mod's ban on starting new threads was pretty ballsy, and probably could have resulted in a long-term ban, so that wasn't too smart on his part.

Do you see all the posts this clown generates? Max is a post whore.

Archived