contender or pretender (going into week 5)

Blackout

the ravens and steelers play tmrw, but until then, here are teams of note:

jets - contender (i'm so glad Cotchery has a QB who can throw him the ball!)

bills -pretender (they will probably sneak into the playoffs but they don't scare me, they just barely sneak past the rams and raiders)

dolphins - train_wreck.jpg

pats - pretender (no brady, randy moss has quit, the D is older)

browns- pretender (can't even beat the lowely bengals by more than 8)

chargers - contender (LT is getting better, Rivers having a great year, D risky)

colts - contender (best QB in the league, saturday's back)

jaguars - pretender (grind it out style, have been passed by Titans though)

titans - contender (ravens 2000/tampa 2002 style team)

broncos - pretender (defense is weak, but offense can be amazing, playoff team still)

**** the chiefs, bungals and texans. they're done.

the entire NFC east = contender (giants and cowgirls are at the top of the conference IMO)

packers - pretender (rodgers will be nice, but nothing great

vikings - contender (because of all day A.P.)

lions - landfill.jpg

Chicago - contender (stout D, Forte is a nice surrise, Hester's the man)

Buccs - contender (can beat you with the pass AND the run, always a tough D)

Saints - contender

falcons - pretender

Panthers - contender (assuming Delhommie is staying healthy)

the entire NFC west is a pre-tender

and the Rams...

does 1976 ring a bell?

300_175105.gif

thoughts??

I think the Bills are legit. Maybe not for a SB just yet, but for playoff contention. It doesn't matter if you sqeak by or blow out teams, if your doing what you need to do to win, then that's all that matters. 4-0 is no fluke, especially in this division.

I think the jury is still out on the Jets. We've seen two completely different teams in the last two weeks. One that got blown out 48-29 a week ago, and another that just dropped 56 points on a crap Cardinals team. If this team is going to make any kind of noise, something is going to needed to be done about the defense and it's tendency to collapse in the second half.

don't get it twisted, you're playing ****ty teams. Beat the Titans and Cowboys and then you'll impress me.

Who have the Jets beat? The Dolphins and Cardinals, wonderful.

The Bills destroyed a decent Seattle team and beat a pretty good Jacksonville team.

The only people in the world that would claim the Jets are better than the Bills are Jets fans.

Who have the Jets beat? The Dolphins and Cardinals, wonderful.

The Bills destroyed a decent Seattle team and beat a pretty good Jacksonville team.

The only people in the world that would claim the Jets are better than the Bills are Jets fans.

Be fair. The Seahawks had NO recievers whatsoever, and were an easy victory. The Jags? A completely decimated O-line and until the 4th quarter yesterday Garrard looked nothing like last year.

That being said, the Bills are better than the Jets right now. Regardless of teams played, 4-0 is twice as good as 2-2. The Bills are DEFINATELY a playoff team, and the favorite to win the AFC-E right now. If the Jets can beat them and not fall another game behind them early on, then maybe that changes...but until then the Bills are ahead of the Jets.

Be fair. The Seahawks had NO recievers whatsoever, and were an easy victory. The Jags? A completely decimated O-line and until the 4th quarter yesterday Garrard looked nothing like last year.

That being said, the Bills are better than the Jets right now. Regardless of teams played, 4-0 is twice as good as 2-2. The Bills are DEFINATELY a playoff team, and the favorite to win the AFC-E right now. If the Jets can beat them and not fall another game behind them early on, then maybe that changes...but until then the Bills are ahead of the Jets.

Okay, the Bills haven't knocked off any of the elites, but they play 60 minutes, are great in the 4th quarter and win games they're supposed to (although I wouldn't call them favorites over Jacksonville.)

And actually the Seahawks had Nate Burleson for most of that game so they did have at least one guy.

I really see no way any team but Buffalo wins this division. Not because Buffalo is unbeatable, but simply because none of the other teams in the AFC East are any good.

Okay, the Bills haven't knocked off any of the elites, but they play 60 minutes, are great in the 4th quarter and win games they're supposed to (although I wouldn't call them favorites over Jacksonville.)

And actually the Seahawks had Nate Burleson for most of that game so they did have at least one guy.

I really see no way any team but Buffalo wins this division. Not because Buffalo is unbeatable, but simply because none of the other teams in the AFC East are any good.

No doubt, Jax at full strength was a big time favorite against the Bills. I'm not taking anything away from the Bills, I think they're one of the better teams in the AFC...but not based off who they've played (just my opinion).

The way I see the AFC-E is this. The Patriots will be vastly inconsistent, and I think they're D will get worse as the year goes on, but the Offense will get better towards the end of the year. They will lose some they should win, but will still beat some good teams.

The Dolphins will probably have a couple more shockers like the Pats game, but will probably also lose some games they have no business losing. They wont be a team you want to play at the end of the year, that's for sure.

Lastly, the Jets depend entirely on 2 players. If Jenkins is healthy all year long, regardless of Favre's play, I think they're no way worse than an 8-8 team. However, if he is ever out for an extended period of time...the team is probably 8-8 (at very best) regardless of Favre's play. 2nd is the aforementioned Favre. He should get better with the playbook as the year goes on, although I dont expect another 6 TD game, obviously.

I tend to agree with what I think shawn said earlier today -- the Jets are still very up in the air.

Lets wait until the Bills play the AFCE teams before you crown them Division Champs. Its only week 4.

No doubt, Jax at full strength was a big time favorite against the Bills. I'm not taking anything away from the Bills, I think they're one of the better teams in the AFC...but not based off who they've played (just my opinion).

The way I see the AFC-E is this. The Patriots will be vastly inconsistent, and I think they're D will get worse as the year goes on, but the Offense will get better towards the end of the year. They will lose some they should win, but will still beat some good teams.

The Dolphins will probably have a couple more shockers like the Pats game, but will probably also lose some games they have no business losing. They wont be a team you want to play at the end of the year, that's for sure.

Lastly, the Jets depend entirely on 2 players. If Jenkins is healthy all year long, regardless of Favre's play, I think they're no way worse than an 8-8 team. However, if he is ever out for an extended period of time...the team is probably 8-8 (at very best) regardless of Favre's play. 2nd is the aforementioned Favre. He should get better with the playbook as the year goes on, although I dont expect another 6 TD game, obviously.

I tend to agree with what I think shawn said earlier today -- the Jets are still very up in the air.

Great post. Agree almost entirely with this; well thought out and well written.

Lets wait until the Bills play the AFCE teams before you crown them Division Champs. Its only week 4.

If the Patriots had Tom Brady and their defense didn't average 143 years of age, you'd be saying the Pats have locked up the division. Barring major injury I see no way any one challenges them in the AFCE.

If the Patriots had Tom Brady and their defense didn't average 143 years of age, you'd be saying the Pats have locked up the division. Barring major injury I see no way any one challenges them in the AFCE.

But the point is its not like theyve played the JETS and PATS in those 4 weeks and beat them. If they had a 2 game lead on both teams while beating both teams then chances are slim for the jets and pats, but buffalo doesent play a division team until the jets in week8. the jets can sweep them and pats can split with them for all you know and then buffalo has 3 division losses right there with the pats and Jets basically ahead of them.

until division games are played you cant determine a division champ.

4-0 is 4-0.

I fail to see how were pretenders, maybe not a superbowl team yet, but winning a game in the NFL isn't easy, and were 4/4 on it.

agreed. the bills are for real. not sure about a superbowl win, but they are going to the playoffs. which leaves us and the pats fighting it out. We need to beat the bengals in a bad way. which isn't going to be easy even if they are 0-4. they are going to be hungry for a win.

I by no means believe in the 4-0 Bills and from the offseason into the first few weeks don't see why the "experts" see in this team, but there 4-0 and that's not easy. For now they are on top of this division and a contender. I don't think it lasts, but to call us a contender at 2-2 and the Bills a pretender at 4-0 is pretty ignorant.

Archived