Arizona Fall League

MagicBizkit87

Today's game, in which Hughes pitched:

http://mlb.mlb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?t=g_box&gid=2008_10_07_surwin_perwin_1&sid=l119

Here's his stats for today:

5 IP, 1 hit, 5 BB's, 7 K's, 0 ER

Austin Jackson is also there. He's 1 for 2, and 2 Rbi's so far.

I am guessing Hughes lost control on his pitches after not pitching for a while, I think he'll be better in every way possible with control in his next start, and he still didn't allow any runs. People that want this guy traded are retarded.

Let me know when Philip Hughes does something during the Yankees regular season, then we'll talk about if we should've traded him and Melky for Johan.

So far Johan is far, far ahead.

Yeah, and then we trade him, and Hughes becomes what Kazmir has become. Think the Mets would rather have Kazmir back, or still have Victor Zambrano? Besides, Hughes has done well with the Yankees, just not much last year. If I recall, Hughes was the only pitcher to get a win in the postseason in 2007. Yes, lets trade a player whose showed he could handle New York, pitched a near no hitter in his second start, and would have if he didn't get hurt.

I'm going to laugh at everyone wrong, when Phil Hughes turns out better then Joba Chamberlain.

He hasn't shown **** yet. Any pitcher can have a good 5-10-15 game stretch, that happens. Its what you do over a course of time that makes you who you are. This year Hughes was injury proned glorified dog ****.

Lets see how he does in 2009. I'm sure he won't sniff 15 W's while Johan has 20+ as long as the Mets get a bullpen.

He hasn't shown **** yet. Any pitcher can have a good 5-10-15 game stretch, that happens. Its what you do over a course of time that makes you who you are. This year Hughes was injury proned glorified dog ****.

Lets see how he does in 2009. I'm sure he won't sniff 15 W's while Johan has 20+ as long as the Mets get a bullpen.

Not everyone has an amazing first full season. Everyone was labeling Jon Lester as an overrated prospect, but look what he did this year. He is right now probably Boston's best pitcher. Sometimes It could take you three years before you become what you're supposed to be.

Both Phil Hughes, and Clay Buchholz are taking similar ways to get to the majors. Not everyone succeeds their first season like Joba Chamberlain.

Some people just don't realize it could take a while for a young player to get used to the majors, and it's even worse for a player if you play for a big town team like the Yankees, Mets, Red Sox, or Cubs. They expect you to do well, and they demand you to do well.

I am still going to laugh at everyone when Phil Hughes ends up better then Joba Chamberlain.

Im not ready to give up on Hughes, but I have serious doubts about him. Kennedy has to go.

Kennedy isn't the type of pitcher that can make it in New York, he's not the type of pitcher who can even make the American League. The Yankees need to trade Kennedy to a National League team for whatever kind of stock Kennedy has left.

There is a valid point in this thread. You have to be patient with young pitchers. Most young pitchers don't dominate from the beginning like Lincecum. Look at Pelfrey, he blossomed this year after everyone wanted him out of town previously. The thing is there is no guarantees with young pitchers, for every hot prospect that pans out there is a 100 more than you will never hear from again. To say that not parting with Hughes in a trade for Santana is a joke. Santana is a proven commodity, he is arguably the best pitcher in baseball. Cashman will never admit it but, lets be honest. The bigger joke is comparing trading Hughes for Santana to Kazmir/ Zambrano. That comparison doesn't even deserve a response, it's so dumb.

• 2 weeks later...
There is a valid point in this thread. You have to be patient with young pitchers. Most young pitchers don't dominate from the beginning like Lincecum. Look at Pelfrey, he blossomed this year after everyone wanted him out of town previously. The thing is there is no guarantees with young pitchers, for every hot prospect that pans out there is a 100 more than you will never hear from again. To say that not parting with Hughes in a trade for Santana is a joke. Santana is a proven commodity, he is arguably the best pitcher in baseball. Cashman will never admit it but, lets be honest. The bigger joke is comparing trading Hughes for Santana to Kazmir/ Zambrano. That comparison doesn't even deserve a response, it's so dumb.

Spot on. When payroll does not matter, always take the proven player.

To be fair to the Yanks, the Twins did turn down the initial offer of Hughes and Melky(rightfully so) and Hank pulled it off the table at that point.

Sorry, I was in Jets land yesterday, and didn't even know Hughes pitched yesterday, he sucked again.

2.1 IP, 4 hits, 2 ER, 4 walks, 3 K's

I sure hope these crappy stats are because he's experimenting his stuff. I have read on some sites that he's throwing 94, I do find that hard to believe. Does he throw 94 only against Minor leaguers? lol

Here's his stats for the Fall League:

20 IP

17 hits

10 ER

12 Walks

22 K's

4.50 ERA

Of course Santana is better than Hughes. That isn't the issue with a trade like that. The issue is trading Hughes for the "right" to pay Santana a HUGE contract. **** that. If the guy wants the money he'll come when he's a FA. I think it's silly to trade young pitching for what basically amounts to a FA signing. I'd rather have Hughes plus, say Sabathia, than Santana.

Archived