Scout says Hughes stinks...

NIGHT STALKER

Yankees | AFL scout says Hughes' command and motion 'stink'

Mon, 27 Oct 2008 00:13:41 -0700

Joel Sherman, of The New York Post, reports an anonymous Arizona Fall League scout who has seen numerous starts by New York Yankees SP Phil Hughes believes something is not quite right. "I think the problem is that his elbow is too low so he is not commanding because he is not throwing downhill. His command stinks because his motion stinks. For example, his curve has good rotation and break, but I think because of that delivery it breaks early and so hitters pick it up," the scout said.

I read that piece more as being a scout that wants to tweak Hughes' motion than thinks he's a bust.

You have to admit though, for a guy that was targeted as a #1 starter he's been more than a disappointment. Not to mention he seems injury prone on top of it all.

You have to admit though, for a guy that was targeted as a #1 starter he's been more than a disappointment. Not to mention he seems injury prone on top of it all.

Certainly, but I'm still glad they didn't make that deal. He has still can be a solid starter AND they would have had to pay Santana all that money. I love Santana, but I'd rather pay the money to somebody else and keep Hughes.

Certainly, but I'm still glad they didn't make that deal. He has still can be a solid starter AND they would have had to pay Santana all that money. I love Santana, but I'd rather pay the money to somebody else and keep Hughes.

I understand your point, but do you think the Yanks make the playoffs with Santana this past season?

Don't be surprised if Hughes is part of deal this offseason for someone with less talent than Santana.

I understand your point, but do you think the Yanks make the playoffs with Santana this past season?

Don't be surprised if Hughes is part of deal this offseason for someone with less talent than Santana.

Well, maybe but there are too many variables. Would they have made the playoffs if Wang didn't get hurt? If the Yanks were even close at the deadline they could/would have been making serious moves. I want the team to be at least a little fiscally responsible and trading a top (or mid) tier pitching prospect or two with others for the rights to sign Santana is a bit much. There weren't that many teams bidding against us because only about four or five could even afford the guy. Throw the money at Sabathia now.

I would almost never get rid of young pitching. That's what ****ed them in the old days. Jose Rijos, Doug Drabek, Bob Tewksbury, Bob Wickman. These are guys that I loved and would have never moved. Sure sometimes a guy flops, like Sammie Militello, but you've got to hold 'em to find out. Were the deals worth it? I don't know, I can't even remember what they got for most of those guys.

No way Hughes will be a bust IMO. Possibly not the number one he was projected to be, but not a bust.

I would have traded him for Johan but still, he looked straightened out his last outing or two at the end of the season. Winter ball should not be used to change projections on kid pitchers. The biggest problem I think is that since the injury during his no-hit bid, he has never had a period of uninjured starts in which to stay locked in.

Pelfrey should be the perfect local example that patience is required.

Archived