Jets Playoff Tiebreakers- Updated

jason423

It basically comes down to week 17 for the Jets. Whether or not the Dolphins win or lose next week makes no difference. At worst they will be one game behind New York with one game to play. If Miami wins they jump the Jets. If they lose the Jets finish ahead of Miami. At this point in time the Jets will be alive when Week 17 kicks off no matter what. If New England loses to Arizona the Jets will control their own destiny when their own game kicks off against Miami even if the team loses this week in Seattle. If the Jets lose to Seattle, it is possible that they could be eliminated from the playoffs by the time they actually take the field against the Dolphins. The Jets will be the 3 seed if they win the AFC East at 11-5. If they won it at 10-6 they need one more Denver loss to earn the 3 seed.

The Jets only way to beat the Indianapolis Colts for the wildcard would be for the Colts to lose out and the Jets to win a strength of victory tiebreaker. Right now the Colts hold a slight edge with a 0.464 win % vs. 0.448 for the Jets. Baltimore losing to the Steelers makes them a possibility. When it comes to SOV the Jets hold a big edge as the Ravens are only at 0.378

Here are the divisional tiebreakers:

1. Jets go 2-0 to finish 11-5

Clinch the division

2. Jets go 1-1, beating Miami and losing to Seattle to finish 10-6:

Clinch division if New England loses to either Arizona or Buffalo.

Here are the wildcard tiebreakers:

1. Jets go 1-1, beating Seattle and losing to Miami to finish 10-6:

A New England loss to Buffalo AND a Baltimore loss to Dallas AND Jacksonville

2. Jets go 1-1, beating Miami and losing to Seattle to finish 10-6:

A Baltimore loss to Jacksonville OR

A Baltimore loss to Dallas AND the strength of victory tiebreaker OR ,

Indianapolis to lose to Jacksonville and Tennessee AND the strength of victory tiebreaker

Results the Jets want in week 16:

Dallas over Baltimore

Arizona over New England

Jacksonville over Indianapolis

Buffalo over Denver

Bottom line

Pats need: Miracle

Phins need: Miracle

True. I still think the Jets win the division. NO WAY Miami wins in the Meadowlands. No freakin' way. I'm just hoping my Pats can squeak out (scary porposition with Boldin and Fitzy) a win next week. Take care of business in Buffalo and hope Baltimore loses in Dallas. Only way I see the good guys getting in the dance ;)

True. I still think the Jets win the division. NO WAY Miami wins in the Meadowlands. No freakin' way. I'm just hoping my Pats can squeak out (scary porposition with Boldin and Fitzy) a win next week. Take care of business in Buffalo and hope Baltimore loses in Dallas. Only way I see the good guys getting in the dance ;)

Id think Arizona losing so badly today will make it a much tougher game for New England next week. New England basically has no margin for error if they want to get in. They need 11 wins.

Go Cards...and we're done with you guys

Be watchin! It's a 1:00 game and you guys play at 4:15, right?

C'mon.....this is fun, right? It's WAY better than last year. This is football. This makes the season interesting. Man, I love this game! Even if it tears my heart out - the ride is great!

Id think Arizona losing so badly today will make it a much tougher game for New England next week. New England basically has no margin for error if they want to get in. They need 11 wins.

AZ is most overrated team in NFL

they blow on road and tanked it today vs Tavaris

No way Mumbles loses to them

who was saying warner deserves MVP???

C'mon.....this is fun, right? It's WAY better than last year. This is football. This makes the season interesting. Man, I love this game! Even if it tears my heart out - the ride is great!

While it's certainly more relaxing clinching a playoff birth in week 14, it is a whole lot more exciting the way its been the last couple weeks. That having been said, I would have rather been guaranteed a playoff spot instead of sweat it out.

Absolutely. Its why the NFL regular season is the best season in all of sports. You just can not compare the excitement when you get down to weeks 15-17 and you are in the playoff hunt.

How does the NFL determine tie-breakers for the Division and WC?

The first division tiebreaker is head to head. In the event of a 3 way tie it is head to head to head. This is the tiebreaker the Jets have the advantage in since they have not lost to Miami.

The 2nd tiebreaker is common opponents where the Jets stink. The third is conference record.

In the wildcard head to head is first and then you flip the next two tiebreakers. 1st is conference record- the Jets have 4 losses in conference as do the Ravens. The Colts have 2- and the 2nd is common opponents. The Jets would tie all of those teams in common opponents. If the teams are still tied they move to strength of victory, which basically is determining the records of the teams you have beaten and whomever beat the better teams wins the tiebreaker.

The 2nd tiebreaker is common opponents where the Jets stink. The third is conference record.

The first tie-breaker for the division is head to head. The second is division record. If Miami beats the Jets and they are both 10-6 (and the Pats lose one of the next 2) the third tie breaker is common opponents. The Jets either beat Miami or it falls to that 3rd tiebreaker.

Archived