Steroids

ECURB

Pretty much... its the media feeding off an older crowd that thinks the records are sacred... while most of America does not care and just wants to see some baseball...

\Do you have nightmares at night what the meida is doing to you?

Is your spine so jellyfish you have no ability to discern your own opinions?

That is sad.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think what he's trying to say is that the outrage over steroid use is more of a media fabrication than anything.

The game is at an all time high. This will have zero affect on attendance.

The only thing that could negatively hurt baseball at this point is no games at all.

You are correct that it wont have an impact on the fan. But to say that it is media fabrication is wrong. If fans didnt want to read or hear or watch it, it wouldnt dominate the sports news and the regular news. Obviously people are watching.

Most are probably like me who have a problem with the cheaters but wont let it affect their enjoyment of the games.

That's pretty weak.

Yes... your speculation that Maris may have done something outside the rules to enhance his performance without any concrete or even anecdotal evidence far outweighs the facts I presented:

- there were 5% more games played

- watered-down pitching

- hitting in front of one of the greatest hitters of all-time, which he hadn't done the previous season

You win.

The media fabricated no story here. The facts have been reaffirmed by the guilty party himself.

When you are "the best player in baseball" this is the fervor that follows the story. Particularly when your own union and players have said that the "steroids story" is overblown. Oooops.

Check Jetnation baseball forum. Look at what the fans are talking about. T

The media drove us to discuss this? Are you really that sheepish?

The outrage is what the media has fabricated.

When every coach in America from high schools to the pros have turned a blind eye to steroids...its about winning. Period. Peoplw will do whatever it t akes to win.

Most people couldnt care less about some record that was set 50 years ago.

The Player's Union, who have protected these players to a veal type existence, has brought the shame upon this 104 players.

The reluctance of the Union to admit abuses, to even allow any type of testing to be conducted, and then BLEW IT by not having the test results be destroyed, did a real disservice to teh group they were supposed to be protecting.

after I took a sports law class back in college (during the baseball strike) I realized what scumbags the union really is.. and also understood why they did what they did.

Their only role is to protect their dues paying members even if it could hurt the industry. No one in all of baseball was willing to step to the forefront and deal with this head on. Everyone from the top on down did nothing until pressured to do so. And all need to be exposed.

Yes... your speculation that Maris may have done something outside the rules to enhance his performance without any concrete or even anecdotal evidence far outweighs the facts I presented:

- there were 5% more games played

- watered-down pitching

- hitting in front of one of the greatest hitters of all-time, which he hadn't done the previous season

You win.

http://www.athomeplate.com/recordsandsteroids.shtml

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/2005-05-03-steroids-house_x.htm

We didn't get beat, we got out-milligrammed," he said. "And when you found out what they were taking, you started taking them."

The outrage is what the media has fabricated.

When every coach in America from high schools to the pros have turned a blind eye to steroids...its about winning. Period. Peoplw will do whatever it t akes to win.

Most people couldnt care less about some record that was set 50 years ago.

If people werent watching the media would have no story. they give us what we want- dirt on famous people.

Just because you arent outraged doesnt mean every fan isnt.

And again we come back to the "everyone does it" argument. Is cheating and getting away with acceptable now and we shouldnt hold people accountable for their actions when they get caught? If so we are doomed as a society. Might as well throw away all rules and let anarchy reign since its ok to do whatever it takes.

If people werent watching the media would have no story. they give us what we want- dirt on famous people.

Just because you arent outraged doesnt mean every fan isnt.

And again we come back to the "everyone does it" argument. Is cheating and getting away with acceptable now and we shouldnt hold people accountable for their actions when they get caught? If so we are doomed as a society. Might as well throw away all rules and let anarchy reign since its ok to do whatever it takes.

It's really not that serious.

It's really not that serious.

Yeah it is. If everyone cheats in sports, why have rules for sports?

And if its ok to do whatever it takes to win in sports, why no carry it over to other aspects of life?

And if there is zero consequence to being caught cheating, why have any sort of rules in life? Everyone should be cheating if nothing will happen to them. Thats why guys get arrested 72 times and get released on a plea bargain- there is little consequence.

Time for society to crack down on cheaters in all aspects of life and make the penalties strict and enforceable. If ARod or any player knew that he would be suspended for life, he wouldnt cheat.

If people were really that angry, they'd stop watching. It's obviously had zero affect on that.

Not necessarily. I hate cheaters. I want them all banned for life. But I still watch.

Does this mean that I am somewhat accepting of their cheating? Yes. Im a hypocrite. I still love baseball. But doesnt change the fact that cheaters need to be held accountable.

Yeah it is. If everyone cheats in sports, why have rules for sports?

And if its ok to do whatever it takes to win in sports, why no carry it over to other aspects of life?

And if there is zero consequence to being caught cheating, why have any sort of rules in life? Everyone should be cheating if nothing will happen to them. Thats why guys get arrested 72 times and get released on a plea bargain- there is little consequence.

Time for society to crack down on cheaters in all aspects of life and make the penalties strict and enforceable. If ARod or any player knew that he would be suspended for life, he wouldnt cheat.

I disagree, but to each his own.

:D

I'd love to continue, but we've both expressed our feelings about this issue...

and no matter what we discuss, there will still be cheaters, they will still get caught, the media will beat the story into the ground, and the mets will still choke in september.

Temptation is a drug in itself.

With that being said, pitchers and catchers report Friday. Just dont ask Derek anything.

So your saying people care about Spongebob?

You're comparing a cartoon to sports?

Really?

what you should compare it to is the news. What stories do they feature and lead with? Bad news stories. Why? Because thats what people want. Whether fans react negatively to they game or not is not the barometer to determine if fans care about the steroid issue. They do care. And to assume they dont because they still watch/attend is ridiculous.

You're comparing a cartoon to sports?

Really?

what you should compare it to is the news. What stories do they feature and lead with? Bad news stories. Why? Because thats what people want. Whether fans react negatively to they game or not is not the barometer to determine if fans care about the steroid issue. They do care. And to assume they dont because they still watch/attend is ridiculous.

My point was just because you watch it doesnt mean you care.

Archived