For Those Of Us With No Life

SoFlaJets

10:49

Moderator: Hi all. We'll get going at around 11 a.m. 11:00

hey everyone. welcome back. a few things to talk about since our last one of these. obviously a lot of what we'll be discussing is of the speculative nature but, hey, that's part of the pre-draft fun. ready when the moderator is

11:04

[Comment From are-tee]

Hi Erik. Do you think the Jets will offer Clemens a short contract extension in exchange for a modest signing bonus? If t hey don't and he had a really good year, they would have to franchise him or give him a huge contract in 2010 to keep him.

11:05

are-tee, good to hear from you. that's a great question and an interesting scenario you pose. I believe it's a risk the Jets are willing to take because I haven't heard anything along the lines of an extension being mentioned for Clemens. as far as extensions go, Leon Washington is the top priority for this offseason there

11:05

[Comment From Paul M.]

Hey Erik, Glad you'll be doing this during the "off season". Per your last blog, Tanny says the Jets cap situation is OK, and their about done with their plan. What cuts, if any, do you see as possibilities? Any early feel on FA's they may be targeting? Thanks!

11:08

Paul M., I've been taken to the woodshed on the blog for answering questions like this so keep in mind when I say who "MIGHT" be cut, I'm not saying it because A.) that's what I want to happen or B). even that it's going to happen. It's simply what I think. That said:), I believe K. Coleman, B. Thomas and Chris Baker potentially are in trouble there. while the Jets are under the cap, they still need to free up some room in terms of cuts and contract restructuring. i think they will definitely target jim leonhard in FA

11:08

[Comment From IRA]

Erik, I wany McFadden and Ivry as CB's to be added during FA. Would you give Miller another shot this summer? And now that Lechler resigned and i learned that Koch is a RFA what are the chances of resigning Joe Smith from the Yakima Mavericks who was in camp for a few days last year. Also kapinos could be let go by the Packers.

11:11

IRA, one of the people who took me to the woodshed! how are you? Miller and Ryan would be an interesting mix and maybe in a good way because I don't think Ryan would have him overthink. I think you'll be lucky to get one of of those guys at CB you mentioned in FA because the jets aren't going to have a ton of $ here to spend. I think CB will be addressed in the draft and I still wouldn't rule out McAlister just yet. as for punter, I liked Kapinos in the OTAs and minicamp last year. wouldn't be shocked to see him back at some point

11:11

[Comment From SquishtheFish]

hey Erik, sorry I haven't been around so much, tax season is a killer. Anyways, with salary dumping in mind, other then Sean Ellis, who else comes to mind as a potential salary cap casaulty?

11:12

what up squish. good to have you back. Ellis I don't see so much as I do guys like Coleman, Baker or B. Thomas. But those guys are candidates for restructuring too. maybe not coleman so much on that one

11:12

[Comment From Freeman 24]

I feel like people overlook the flashes of really clutch play that Clemens displayed against Balt, Wash and Pitt in his starts. Is there any more important quality for a starting QB? Clemens has all the tools. Gun to your head is he are starter come the Fall ? What's the number one thing he needs to show the staff to win the job? Arm strength wise, can he really make all the throws which we really didn't get to see in the dink/dunk Pennington offense he took over?

11:14

gun to my head i'm turning over all valuables...sorry.

anyway, for some reason I think it just might be clemens but reserve the right to change that after the first OTA practice the media gets to watch. the top thing he needs to show the staff is that he can move in the pocket and make good decisions. his football - by his own admission last offseason - was one of the big things he worked on. his arm strength was one of the reasons they drafted him

[Comment From JMattera]

Good morning Erik, any insight on the Kelley Washington talk? Would he be used to take the place of Wallace Wright?

[Comment From Coops]

Hi Erik, I see the Jets are bringing in Kelley Washington for a visit. Other than him being an ex-Pat, what are they seeing in him? He's a good special teamer, but no better than Wright or Smith in that regard. And he's not done much as a WR in recent years either. Any info on potential other guys the Jets might visit with? Leigh Bodden, maybe? Another ex-Lion, TE Dan Campbell, was also mentioned elsewhere as being possibly of interest.

11:16

jmattera and Coops, thanks for coming back. my thoughts on kelley washington? I don't have many other than he's a good special teams guy and he is NOT being interviewed to be the outside "burner" receiver. but in a general sense, between now and training camp the Jets will bring in 50 (random number) of these kind of guys for interviews and such. doesn't mean they're getting signed or will be on the team

11:17

[Comment From john]

how much interest do you think the jets have in scott

11:17

[Comment From Johnnyjet]

Do you think bart scott is at the top of their free agent shopping list.

11:19

hello john and johnnyjet, there is no question that rex ryan holds several of his former ravens in high regard and scott is one of them. but i question whether the jets can afford him. he might get just a huge contract offer from elsewhere that the jets simply can't match. i believe jim leonhard is at the top of their free agent list

11:19

[Comment From IRA]

Erik, I think E.Coleman can benefit from Rex's style of D and his teaching. Fans have been on him. What are your thoughts of his talent?

11:21

my thoughts on him are he, um, struggled in covering the slot receiver last season. he is young and athletic so maybe a coaching change will help him. he did look lost a lot of times out there last year though. but again, his age suggests maybe not giving up on him quite yet

[Comment From Coops]

Erik, lots of speculation about what the Jets will do at QB. What's your take? Do they let the 3 kids fight it out? Do they add a big-name FA if they can (Warner, Collins etc)? Or do they add a lower-tier vet (Simms, Leftwich, Boller) to compete in camp? Would the Jets seriously consider a Sanchez or Josh Freeman at #17 in the draft?

[Comment From Jets Babe]

Hey E, long time reader, big time fan of yours. QB next year, Clemens, Ratliff, Ainge, or draft one? Any chance the Jets will try and trade up for a QB in the first? You're the best!

[Comment From john]

eric, what do you think of the chances they go after josh freeman with the 17th pick.

11:25

coops, jets babe (hey) and john, i really do think there's a decent chance clemens will be the QB next fall. listening to ryan talk about his philosophy, right now he's interested in a quarterback who, as he puts it, is part of the solution, not "the whole solution." in other words, dont' screw things up. he saw it work with flacco last season and no doubt believes a strong defense and run-first offense can win games. freeman's stock in this combine will be interesting to watch. lots of talk about him and his size has a lot of people intrigued. i know the jets have been studying this qb class closely.

(sorry for the delay on this response. computre froze up.)

11:25

[Comment From chip douglas]

What is Chris Bakers contract status, is this his alst year or did they extend his contract during the season?

11:27

chip douglas, they redid his contract and he has three years left on it, but none of it is guaranteed. his cap number this season is just over $2 million. i think he's a candidate to be released but he's also their best - and only - blocking tight end so that might save him

[Comment From Bobby C]

I've heard Ryan in his conference calls and such say we have an "outstanding receiving core" any chance this team parts ways with LC? Or perhaps a LC Leto Shep trade? Second, does the T-Sizzle franchise tag increase are chances of landing Scott?

[Comment From Kenny & The Jets]

What's up E? One name you left of as a possible cut is L. Coles, do you not think he will be a casualty. I personally would like to see us give the young WR a chance

[Comment From Paul M.]

What do you see on the Coles front? I believe his contract is guaranteed this year for 6M. But didn't the Jets tell him they would take a look at it again this off season? I can't see them extending his contract and I don't know if he would bring much in a trade. Any thoughts on what might happen with him?

11:30

bobby C, kenny and the Jets (love it), and paul m., well paul ended up answering the coles question. because his contract this year is guaranteed, the Jets would have to swing a trade and i'm not sure the market would be huge for a guy whose very clearly not a No. 1 receiver, yet is commanding something close to No. 1 money. the jets did say they'd look at it again this offseason but i dont see anything getting done there. I see it as he's either traded or on the team. bobby c., suggs getting franchised really only assures that scott will hit the FA market and the team offering the most $ wins.

11:30

[Comment From Scottish Champs UWS Pyros]

Hello Erik,love the blog.You mentioned that Washington is a priority for an extension but has there been any news on others being extened?Mangold has been 3 years into his rookie contract and did just go to the pro bowl,Revis is halfway through his contract I believe and is also a pro bowler.Will the Jets look to re-sign their guys now before they get too expensive?

11:33

scottish champs, well thanks and welcome! i think that's an excellent point. washington and mangold will take priority over revis. revis has a complicated contract but by my reading of it, the jets are in good shape with him for the next few years actually. good mention there of mangold. no way the jets are going to let a pro bowl center hit free agency

11:33

[Comment From Chris, Danbury CT]

WIth all these Mock Drafts out there, who do you think they'll draft in the 1st and 2nd rounds? OR will they trade up or down?

11:36

hey chris. ahh, it took 33 minutes for my first "who will they pick" question! I'm not specifying anything yet but I really think they're going to go the cornerback route in the first round and if the guy they're targeting is off the board, they'll go WR. I definitely see a RB taken within the first four rounds. but i can change this answer next week and likely will. and then change it back again. the next two months will be filled with that kind of speculation

11:36

[Comment From Capt. Rich]

Hello Eric. My favorite topic...The kicking game. Any feelers as to the direction of our kicker and Punter of the future?

11:38

capt, rich, oh captain my captain (the historically curious can look that up).

anyway, i think feely will be re-signed (i just don't see nugent back and feely isn't that old kicker-wise). as far as punter, it won't be hodges! as i said earlier, I think kapinos has a strong leg and they might look at him again. i also think one of the rookies who isn't drafted will probably get signed.

11:38

[Comment From JMattera]

How much does Darren Sproles getting the franchise tag yesterday from the Chargers hurt the Jets in negotiations with Leon Washington?

11:40

JMattera, i don't think it hurts that much (although i'm sure washington's agent took notice), but i would look more at devin hester's contract for a baseline of where negotiations with washington's agent will start.

11:40

[Comment From RC Meany]

Erik, nice work on Mr T. information. Two questions: In your opinion, is Brad Smith gone? If not, should he be?

11:42

RC Meany! you made it through! everyone knows how much eric mangini thought of smith and it woudn't be shocking to see him end up in cleveland. he's a good special teamer, without question, but his presence also kept david clowney from getting his chance. it might be time for the two parties to part ways

[Comment From Johnnyjet]

Erik. do you think ryan might move gholston to defensive end and let him do what he does best and not worry about read and react.

[Comment From BigM]

Hey Erik, Whats your take on Gholston? I've seen recent articles that people say he sounds like he just doesn't give a crap about playing football and hes not even trying. And that the old Jets staff didn't see much in him that will be good. Any thoughts would be great, and help push back the entire fan base away from the ledge.

11:46

johnnyjet and BigM, i think there's a decent chance you could see him put back as a "hand in the dirt guy" but i get the feeling ryan really looks at turning him into a productive player as a personal challenge. i loved ryan's quote that basically said, "if I cant make him productive, no one can." now, does gholston want that? that's the big question. his answers to some of rich cimini's questions weren't all that encouraging to be honest, but the guy was a pretty good player in college and he wasn't all that outspoken there. i'm more concerned about a guys actions rather than his words. i dont think you can ever call a guy a bust after one season but if he only has 13 tackles next season, i'll probably be ready. BigM, honestly, the biggest thing gholston has going for him right now is that ryan's now his coach. it's a start. we'll see if that's enough

11:46

[Comment From Chris]

Erik, I think we should forget the overpriced free agents, take some fliers on cheap low risk/high reward fa's and develop our own talent like the other great franchises. Thoughts?

11:49

Chris, well I agree to a point. i mean, the bottom line is after last year's spending spree the jets simply don't have the money to spend this season. a couple of well targeted additions - like a jim leonhard - would be judicious spending i think. again, extending leon is a big priority and it needs to be because you dont want a guy like that hitting the market next year

11:49

[Comment From sal]

Erik, big fan here, 2009 is the real year of the rat, don't sleep on Brett Ratliff.

11:51

sal, thanks. but is that a question?

kidding. look, ratliff definitely created some fans for himself within the organization after last year's preseason. i dont quite buy that he's the "favorite" of people in florham park to win the job but he's going to be given a fair opportunity to do so. at 6-4, 235 he sure does look the part

[Comment From dmb88886]

Do you feel that the real Cotchery is a guy who was 2nd in the NFL in big play catches (> 25 yards), and had 1,130 yards with atrocious QB play, or the guy we saw this year. In other words, with a good QB and being healthy, can Cotchery be a 1,200-1,300 yard WR?

[Comment From Jets Babe]

Any chance of Cotchery emerging as the #1 receiver? Also, do the Jets have their eye on any particular "burner" WRs in FA and the draft? (I think they should just try and develop Clowney instead...)

11:55

dmb88886 (whats up my friend) and Jets Babe (hello again), i think cotchery is definitely a guy who can be a 1,200 receiver. He's a perfect No. 2 guy. The problem with the Jets last year was they had like three No. 2/3 guys. Jets Babe, nothing wrong with having two "burner" receivers. I know the Jets want to try and develop Clowney but drafting another top receiver is a must because if Clowney doesn't work out, they need to protect themselves.

11:55

[Comment From Ryan]

Whats Up Erik, As far as compensation for Jon Vilma. I heard that the Saints will not franchise Vilma. They plan to sign him long term but can't before Free Agency.Per the terms of last year's trade, the Jets will get a second-round pick if New Orleans locks Vilma up before March. The Saints don't have a second-rounder, so they'd lose the 14th pick overall to the Jets. Is there any truth to that?

11:56

hey ryan. the jets getting the saints 14th overall pick? no, there's no truth to that

11:57

[Comment From LawrenceNJ]

Erik-- Percy Harvin-- he's been linked to the Jets in mock drafts. You think the Jets would look WR at #17, and you think they'd want Harvin? I think it would be bad-- at 5'11, he's not the prototypical NFL reciever. You go with a WR in the first round, you better be getting a guy over 6 feet, preferably over 6'3-- and he better be in the Larry Fitzgerald, Randy Moss, TO mold (as far as size). Stated another way-- you think the Jets would spend their #1 on a WR who's 5'11. I'll boo just like I booed Gholston and Santana Moss.

11:57

[Comment From john]

erik,I think kenny britt is the kind of reciever that the jets could use to complement,he gives them agood possesion reciever for over the middle so coles can be more effective down the sidelines and over the top hes to skiddish over the middle with all the big hits hes taken.

12:00

lawrenceNJ and John, i agree about harvin. there's something - i'm not sure what - that makes me think the jets should stay away. i'd lean toward Jeremy Maclin if he was still there at 17 and if not, i really like Nicks from North Carolina (though probably not at 17). John, I like Britt a lot as well but the jets don't need another possession receiver

12:01

[Comment From upstatejetsfan]

Hi Erik...If the Jets could only coup one 'big' free agent where do you think it should be focused on? Also, THE DRAFT....I say, no Sanchez, what about you? Too many questions on him...

12:03

upstatejetsfan, glad you could get in! my first choice is jim leonhard. won't have to break the bank for him and he helps their biggest area of need, which is the secondary. i go back and forth on sanchez but he's probably a no for me too. why? because he doesn't have a huge arm and i think the Jets just got rid of a guy last summer for that very same reason - lack of arm strength. freeman intrigues me much more if you're talking about the quarterback class

Moderator: Hi all. We'll take three more questions.

[Comment From TallPaul]

Yo E! Who benefits most on D from Ryan's attack mode as opposed to the read and react from the prior regime?

12:05

TallPaul, how tall is tall? I've always wondered that since we've been doing these chats. Anyway, i think without question it's calvin pace. he's 6-4, 270 and was irritated last season when he had to, for much of the second half of the season, drop into coverage. he's not built to do that. also, i think kerry rhodes will benefit too

12:05

[Comment From JetsFanDan]

Erik, nice job again! With Schotty being in full control of the offense, and with Favre now gone (for now lol) do you think that we will run more of a no huddle attack we did pre-Favre in 06 and 07. It seemed like we relied more on deception as well in those seasons too. Or do you think we continue to use a more traditional offense like we used last season?

12:06

Jetsfandan, thanks as always for reading and commenting. i think it will be a mix. i think you'll see some of the hallmarks of the 2006 season with the exception that this offensive line is better and therefore the offense will be more power oriented

12:06

[Comment From Mark]

Hey Erik, thanks for giving us your time. Quick question, has the FO looked into a viable backup to help Jenkins after his decline towards the end of the season? Did you think Pouha or Mosley did a good job filling in or will their be some changes there too?

12:08

My pleasure, Mark. that's a great question that i'm glad you got to. the way i've listed the jets biggest needs this offseason has been 1. secondary, 2. receiver and 3. defensive line depth. that is something that will definitely be addressed this offseason. i would be shocked if the jets don't take a defensive lineman at some point in the draft. you're right, they had close to zero depth there last year

[Comment From Coops]

Erik, who is your outside "shocker" pick for the Jets at #17? Other than Josh Freeman, mine would be Brandon Pettigrew, the TE, who could form a great combo with Keller.

[Comment From theFinn]

ERIC - thanks for the fantastic job you do in keeping us Jet fans informed. You're the best

12:09

[Comment From Coops]

Thanks for a very informative chat as always, Erik.

[Comment From Coops]

Thanks to you too, Moderator dude!

Moderator: One more question from Coops. Thanks for your participation.

12:11

coops, oh man i hate these kinds of questions:). Okay, well, first if the Jets take a TE in the first round, I think radio city will collapse. a "shocker pick"? how about lesean Mccoy, the RB from Pitt? Not sure if that would be shocking but it might be a little bit so.

thanks everyone as always. we'll do another one of these during or just after free agency. and i'm usually around in the comments section as most of you know.

Archived