A-ROD Homers in first Spring Game

PS17

HI HATERS...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2009/news/story?id=3934167

Associated Press

carousel_getflash_111808.gif

A-Rod Homers In 1st Spring Training Game

Alex Rodriguez homers in fourth inning of first Spring Training gameTags: MLB, New York Yankees, Alex Rodriguez, Toronto Blue Jays

A-Rod Homers In 1st Spring Training Game

DUNEDIN, Fla. -- Alex Rodriguez was booed, then homered in his first game since admitting he used a banned substance.

Spring Training Blog

mlb.gifCheck our daily spring training blog with updates on everything our team of writers and analysts is seeing and hearing at the ballpark, plus news tidbits from around the baseball world. Blog

The New York Yankees slugger started the spring training season with a two-run home run and two walks Wednesday at the Toronto Blue Jays' ballpark. The third baseman left the exhibition opener in the fifth inning.

There were a lot of cheers, a smattering of boos and occasional cat calls from hecklers. Earlier this month, Rodriguez said he used the banned substances from 2001-03 while with the Texas Rangers.

Rodriguez walked on five pitches in the first inning. Many in the crowd at mostly filled Dunedin Stadium stood and cheered as he circled the bases after homering off Ricky Romero in the fourth.

A-Rod, who had said he was prepared for whatever reception he received from fans, high-fived teammate Robinson Cano as he crossed the plate. After walking on four pitches in the fifth, he was replaced defensively between innings.

Earlier, manager Joe Girardi said he planned to talk to Rodriguez during the short bus ride from Tampa to Dunedin, where Yankees fans arrived early and gave A-Rod a polite reception. There were some boos mixed with cheers during pregame introductions and again when he strolled to the plate for the first time.

"I'll say a few things before the game. Nothing earth-shattering. He's been through hostile environments before. ... So this will probably seem somewhat par for the course," Girardi said. "It's still different [every] time you go through a new situation. Whether he's experienced a similar situation, it's still a little bit different. It's something he's going to have to work his way through, and we'll be there for him every step of the way."

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press

I was more excited about Brett Gardner's home run the 2nd pitch of the game.

That's one way to look at it. It's early, but you could also say you don't want to see Brett trying to hit homers. With that speed, he should be keeping the ball on the ground and slapping it around as much as possible. He's not ever going to be a power guy.

Remember how excited you got when Melky hit 8 early dingers last year? ;)

NO SHOT. I'd like to see Gardner beat out Cabrera, but he's not better, he played awfully last year.

Don't be silly, Gardner has a very good shot at beating out Cabrera (Who was awful last year, and his been getting worse and worse, not better) Gardner and his speed on the bases IMO are far more valuable than anything Melky does.

It's likely Gardner didn't try to hit a home run. I hit several home runs from little league to my senior year in high school, but I never tried to hit one. If you get a good swing on a ball, there's nothing you can do, LOL

Definitely, I guess my point is I'll get excited when I hear him getting on base a lot and working counts. HR = Meh

Don't be silly, Gardner has a very good shot at beating out Cabrera (Who was awful last year, and his been getting worse and worse, not better) Gardner and his speed on the bases IMO are far more valuable than anything Melky does.

Haha I'm being silly :P

Definitely, I guess my point is I'll get excited when I hear him getting on base a lot and working counts. HR = Meh

At times I felt Garnder was taking too many pitches last year. He was getting behind in the count way to much. Pitchers where throwing him strikes early, knowing he's a patient hitter. If someone is giving you fastball right down the middle, then you might as well make him pay. You have to take advantage of those. If Gardner keeps doing that, than the pitcher will be more reluctant to throw him batting practice fastballs early in the count, and then Gardner can take advantage of his patience.

Do you think that Gardner will be starting on Opening Day?

Tough to say, If Gardner outplays Cabrera in Spring Training, then yes, and vice versa, but if it's debatable then I think they go with Cabrera because he has no more options left. Meaning if they don't use him as a bench player, than they have to DFA (Designate for Assignment) him, and any team can pick him up through waivers.

Tough to say, If Gardner outplays Cabrera in Spring Training, then yes, and vice versa, but if it's debatable then I think they go with Cabrera because he has no more options left. Meaning if they don't use him as a bench player, than they have to DFA (Designate for Assignment) him, and any team can pick him up through waivers.

Where will Swisher be? DHing?

At times I felt Garnder was taking too many pitches last year. He was getting behind in the count way to much. Pitchers where throwing him strikes early, knowing he's a patient hitter. If someone is giving you fastball right down the middle, then you might as well make him pay. You have to take advantage of those. If Gardner keeps doing that, than the pitcher will be more reluctant to throw him batting practice fastballs early in the count, and then Gardner can take advantage of his patience.

True. Though too small a sample size to assume a pattern he did hit .333 when swinging after 1-0 counts and .169 after falling behind 0-1. He looked overmatched much of the time but he may have bought too much into the school of getting on base any way possible and became a defensive hitter......we'll see what happens. IMO both he and Melky are on a short leash.

NO SHOT. I'd like to see Gardner beat out Cabrera, but he's not better, he played awfully last year.

Don't be ridiculous. Gardner's time last year was very limited in the majors. I have every reason to believe that Gardner will be a better player than Cabrera this year and all future years. This kid can get work a pitcher, get on base, steal, bunt, etc. etc. and has good range in the outfield.

Other than his arm, Melky brings little to the table.

Good point TD

Dude, abso-****ing-lutely. I used to rip my damn HAIR out watching him at the plate. Mainly because he took SO many pitches. I understand patience, some people thrive off of that. But he did it to a fault last year. I'd rather see him work the count kinda like Johnny is famous for, just keep fouling balls off if you don't like it, hack at it. Trust me, I'm a Gardner supporter. I want nothing more then him to be a guy who is a TERROR on the basepaths. It was just infuriating at points with him last year, and then Melky who swings at the ugliest pitches ever.

Archived