2009 Free Agency Preview

Jetsfan.com

BenSack.jpg

The Jets enter free agency in an unfamiliar position: they do not have huge holes to fill. Historically the Jets have had significant needs each off-season but this year they need to make only minor tweaks as their roster turns over.

After a spending spree last year, they do not have the cap room to be major players in 2009. They were projected to be $15 million over the cap but after releasing Chris Baker, David Barrett and David Bowens and reworking contracts for Kerry Rhodes and Calvin Pace, they positioned themselves under the cap. They also saved a large chunk of cash when Brett Favre retired.

With Brandon Moore due a $7 million bonus in March, rumor has it that he will be released. Despite Moore

I stopped reading after the first sentence. The Jets don't have huge holes to fill? If everything shakes out as rumored, we have ridiculously sized holes at WR #1, RG, QB #1, ILB, S, CB #2. Not to mention no depth along either line. Get real.

I had the same reaction you did...

The Jets save a lot more than $5M by dumping Moore. It's closer to $7.5M. Plus he's going to hold out next year.

Canty is nothing special & he wants a superstar contract.

Sean Jones blows. Pretty good in run support...when he's 100% healthy. Saying his deep ball skills are a work in progress is being generous. He's as bad as Roy Williams in coverage & Cleveland was better in coverage (particularly deep coverage) when he was off the field. Cleveland won't give him $6.3M for one season & Jones is seeking at least that every season on a long-term deal.

I honestly don't know how I feel about Leftwich, knowing his good points & bad. Mostly because I don't know what it is we have right now. No one does really.

I stopped reading after the first sentence. The Jets don't have huge holes to fill? If everything shakes out as rumored, we have ridiculously sized holes at WR #1, RG, QB #1, ILB, S, CB #2. Not to mention no depth along either line. Get real.

Indeed. Although we could pick up a RG or RT, since Woody is flexiable.

Archived