For The Record: Jets could use some offense, too

SoFlaJets

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Last updated: Wednesday March 4, 2009, 8:49 AM

NorthJersey.com

On Tuesday, the Jets signed safety Jim Leonhard and also had a conference call for reporters with new cornerback Lito Sheppard.

The moves the Jets have made to shore up their defense, including the mega-contract they gave to linebacker Bart Scott, lead to one question: What about the offense?

Well, they have made two moves on that side of the ball, but both were to re-sign their own players. Fullback Tony Richardson and right guard Brandon Moore (four years, $16 million) both have re-upped, but there still are a few holes to fill if the Jets are to improve an inconsistent offense that ranked 16th in the NFL last season.

One of those holes is at tight end. Although Dustin Keller has star potential as a receiver, his blocking still needs work. And unlike the way in which they released Moore and re-signed him one day later, the Jets showed no such interest in veteran tight end Chris Baker after cutting him loose Feb. 20. Baker signed with New England.

The Jets

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Last updated: Wednesday March 4, 2009, 8:49 AM

NorthJersey.com

On Tuesday, the Jets signed safety Jim Leonhard and also had a conference call for reporters with new cornerback Lito Sheppard.

The moves the Jets have made to shore up their defense, including the mega-contract they gave to linebacker Bart Scott, lead to one question: What about the offense?

Well, they have made two moves on that side of the ball, but both were to re-sign their own players. Fullback Tony Richardson and right guard Brandon Moore (four years, $16 million) both have re-upped, but there still are a few holes to fill if the Jets are to improve an inconsistent offense that ranked 16th in the NFL last season.

One of those holes is at tight end. Although Dustin Keller has star potential as a receiver, his blocking still needs work. And unlike the way in which they released Moore and re-signed him one day later, the Jets showed no such interest in veteran tight end Chris Baker after cutting him loose Feb. 20. Baker signed with New England.

The Jets

Star-Ledger Jets beat writer Dave Hutchinson takes a look at the team's free agency performance these past few days.

A GREAT START

Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum put some much-needed bite in Rex Ryan's defense and kept the offensive line intact.

First, he outbid Baltimore and signed Ravens linebacker Bart Scott instead of the aging Ray Lewis. The Jets then re-signed guard Brandon Moore and traded for cornerback Lito Sheppard, another top-notch cover guy to play opposite Darrelle Revis.

Ravens safety Jim Leonhard got out of the building without signing a contract on Sunday but he's still expected to end up a Jet.

POTENTIAL HICCUPS

One can argue that the Jets are taking a chance by not signing a veteran quarterback, but Ryan insists the organization is ready to go to battle with either Kellen Clemens or Brett Ratliff. The thinking here is that a Jeff Garcia or Byron Leftwich would be only stop-gap measures and the Jets need to find out if one of their current guys is the answer.

Releasing wide receiver Laveranues Coles is a bit of a gamble, but the Jets will likely address that in the first two rounds of the draft to add to the solid, if unspectacular, set of receivers on the roster.

WHAT'S LEFT TO DO?

At this point, it's all about adding depth. The Jets are very much in the mix for Ravens cornerback Corey Ivy -- who would work in nickel coverage -- and Bills tight end Robert Royal, a superb blocker. They're also looking for help at defensive end. Ex-Raven Marques Douglas is on their radar. Then, of course, they need to seal the deal with Leonhard.

AROUND THE DIVISION

Ex-Jets wide receiver Laveranues Coles and former tight end Chris Baker could come back to haunt the Jets. The Bills, who had Coles in for a visit on the first day of free agency, want him badly. And the Patriots pounced on Baker on the first day. The Pats traded quarterback Matt Cassel and brought back a second-round pick and Bill Belichick rarely misses in the first two rounds of the draft.

Interestingly, the Dolphins aren't interested in Coles and their big moves were re-signing linebacker Channing Crowder and signing safety Gibril Wilson before free agency.

I have a good feeling it will be crabtree if they really want to trade up and one of the top picks that might pick him passes him up, or macklin. I think we are going to end up with a great WR.

I have a lot of concern about drafting a guy (like Crabtree) at 17 coming off a surgery Joe

I have a lot of concern about drafting a guy (like Crabtree) at 17 coming off a surgery Joe

Hakeem Nicks baby! That guy can play some football... forget the hype... go with the real deal!

Which about a month ago nobody can honestly claim they thought Rex Ryan would draft offense in the 1st round... lol

Im still not sold he will. Im kinda thinking we might be going DL in the 1st.

Thats the reason why I said 1st day because its very possible that it comes in round 2 or 3.

Im still not sold he will. Im kinda thinking we might be going DL in the 1st.

Thats the reason why I said 1st day because its very possible that it comes in round 2 or 3.

The real question is if one of the good WR's falls late into the 1st or so... do they trade up to get them... say they take D or O line at 17... then Nicks or Heyward-Bey is available at the end of the 1st start of the 2nd... do you trade up for them?

the kid was seriously considering doing his pro day before surgery, so I don't think there is a lot of worry on his and his agents end. A lot of teams passed on Peterson because of an injury too.

Sick Catch! nice size. sign me up.

Quick question on B. Bajema. If he's a blocking-only TE, with only two catches per season, why not just bring in an offensive tackle to the play the position. Heck, Jumbo Eliott caught at least one TD. We could call it the Jumbo package....wait. This post just accidentally made sense.

damn...good call EC-that kid reminds me of a Fitzgerald/Owens/Calvin Johnson type guy....he is friggin fast too...where is he projected to go bro?

On the high end projection, Hicks reminds me most of Michael Irvin without the theatrics.

His hands are amazing and he's a great route runner.

damn...good call EC-that kid reminds me of a Fitzgerald/Owens/Calvin Johnson type guy....he is friggin fast too...where is he projected to go bro?

He ran a slow 40 time.... so that helps in terms of him falling into our laps... they guy has good speed on the field and in his routes so Im not concerned...

http://www.draftcountdown.com/sub/Mock-Draft-2.php

They have the going to the bears in round 2 right before our pick...

ehh, that was a 3 yard pass, and doing that behind the back thing in an nfl game would have been a fumble defense recovery 9.5 times out of 10.

No, it wouldn't.

It would be an incomplete pass 10 times out of 10 in the NFL rather than a fumble.

ehh, that was a 3 yard pass, and doing that behind the back thing in an nfl game would have been a fumble defense recovery 9.5 times out of 10.

It was to show his hands... and then the ability to run up for the 1st down...

No, it wouldn't.

It would be an incomplete pass 10 times out of 10 in the NFL rather than a fumble.

More than likely yes... but the kid has some awesome talent as a WR... thats why i like him... he is not some freak of nature 6'6" 230lb WR that can run a 4.3 but needs a ton of work... I think he could step right in and contribute week one...

Sick Catch! nice size. sign me up.

Quick question on B. Bajema. If he's a blocking-only TE, with only two catches per season, why not just bring in an offensive tackle to the play the position. Heck, Jumbo Eliott caught at least one TD. We could call it the Jumbo package....wait. This post just accidentally made sense.

hey why don't we just make James (my nemesis) Dearth start actually earning HIS $$$ by being the blocking back? :rolleyes:

He ran a slow 40 time.... so that helps in terms of him falling into our laps... they guy has good speed on the field and in his routes so Im not concerned...

http://www.draftcountdown.com/sub/Mock-Draft-2.php

They have the going to the bears in round 2 right before our pick...

hey remember how we heard all about Vern Coles running the fastest 40 since Deon Sanders and when we saw him on the field we all wondered what happened to all that speed? He would run with short, choppy strides and it never really equated to on-the-field game speed...

More than likely yes... but the kid has some awesome talent as a WR... thats why i like him... he is not some freak of nature 6'6" 230lb WR that can run a 4.3 but needs a ton of work... I think he could step right in and contribute week one...

Don't get me wrong, I like Hicks a lot. I was surprised he was projected mid 2nd. I was just pointing out the claim that it would have been a fumble, because under NFL rules it wouldn't be because he only had possession after he passed the ball behind his back.

I really like Ron Brace, DT BC in the second round for the NT rotation. So if the Jets don't go WR at 17, I doubt they go defense in the 2nd.

Which about a month ago nobody can honestly claim they thought Rex Ryan would draft offense in the 1st round... lol

I was claiming it. (or maybe wishing for it).

WHy? I knew we'd go after guys in FA on defense.. It's easier to build a defense I believe, and when he can bring in 2 guys from the Ravens, his D now has 2 guys on the field that know it... probably 2 more than at any time in the past 3 yrs that knew what was going on with Mangini's D.

Archived