Leonhard: From College Walk-On to Big Bucks

PS17

Jets' Leonhard: From college walk-on to big bucks

BY ERIK BOLAND |erik.boland@newsday.com March 5, 2009 Jim Leonhard still can't quite believe it.

"Going into college as a walk-on, you obviously don't ever picture yourself being in the NFL and then signing a contract like this," Leonhard said during a conference call yesterday.

The Jets signed Leonhard, 26, to a three-year deal worth a reported $6 million Monday, completing what the safety called a "wild ride" that started at age 18. With no Division I scholarship offers coming out of high school in Tony, Wis., Leonhard passed on several Division II offers to play football and baseball. Instead, he chose the long-shot path of walking on as a freshman at Wisconsin.

"Ultimately, it came down to giving it a run at that top level," he said. "I would be kicking myself my entire life if I didn't take that chance."

Although it didn't take Leonhard long to show he belonged - he made a Big Ten record-tying 11 interceptions his sophomore season - it took a little longer in the NFL. He signed with the Bills as a rookie free agent in 2005 and spent three so-so seasons with Buffalo before signing a one-year deal with the Ravens in 2008.

His opportunity came early last season when Ravens safety Dawan Landry went down with a season-ending injury. In 13 starts, Leonhard had 85 tackles (fourth on the team), one sack, one interception and six passes defensed.

"It was very important for me to take advantage of my opportunity," he said. "Going into my fourth year, I really needed to make a statement last year to extend my career in this league."

The Ravens made little effort to re-sign the 5-8, 186-pound Leonhard, and it seemed a foregone conclusion he would end up with the Jets, coached by his former defensive coordinator, Rex Ryan. The Broncos made a late bid - a slightly higher one, Leonhard said - Monday morning, but the Jets felt right.

"I took a few hours to consider and we ultimately decided that regardless of the money situation, the Jets were the place to be," Leonhard said. "We kind of knew that New York was probably the best place for me."

Notes & quotes: A source confirmed an Associated Press report that the Jets agreed to terms with Jay Feely on a one-year deal. He became the Jets' kicker last season after Mike Nugent was hurt in the season opener. Feely, 32, made 24 of 28 field-goal tries, including 2-for-2 from 50 yards or longer. Feely's return was expected because the Jets never made a serious move to keep Nugent, who signed a one-year contract with the Bucs ... Former Jets WR Laveranues Coles signed with the Bengals. NFL Network reported the deal was $28 million for four years.

Jets' Leonhard: From college walk-on to big bucks

BY ERIK BOLAND |erik.boland@newsday.com March 5, 2009 Jim Leonhard still can't quite believe it.

"Going into college as a walk-on, you obviously don't ever picture yourself being in the NFL and then signing a contract like this," Leonhard said during a conference call yesterday.

The Jets signed Leonhard, 26, to a three-year deal worth a reported $6 million Monday, completing what the safety called a "wild ride" that started at age 18. With no Division I scholarship offers coming out of high school in Tony, Wis., Leonhard passed on several Division II offers to play football and baseball. Instead, he chose the long-shot path of walking on as a freshman at Wisconsin.

"Ultimately, it came down to giving it a run at that top level," he said. "I would be kicking myself my entire life if I didn't take that chance."

Although it didn't take Leonhard long to show he belonged - he made a Big Ten record-tying 11 interceptions his sophomore season - it took a little longer in the NFL. He signed with the Bills as a rookie free agent in 2005 and spent three so-so seasons with Buffalo before signing a one-year deal with the Ravens in 2008.

His opportunity came early last season when Ravens safety Dawan Landry went down with a season-ending injury. In 13 starts, Leonhard had 85 tackles (fourth on the team), one sack, one interception and six passes defensed.

"It was very important for me to take advantage of my opportunity," he said. "Going into my fourth year, I really needed to make a statement last year to extend my career in this league."

The Ravens made little effort to re-sign the 5-8, 186-pound Leonhard, and it seemed a foregone conclusion he would end up with the Jets, coached by his former defensive coordinator, Rex Ryan. The Broncos made a late bid - a slightly higher one, Leonhard said - Monday morning, but the Jets felt right.

"I took a few hours to consider and we ultimately decided that regardless of the money situation, the Jets were the place to be," Leonhard said. "We kind of knew that New York was probably the best place for me."

Notes & quotes: A source confirmed an Associated Press report that the Jets agreed to terms with Jay Feely on a one-year deal. He became the Jets' kicker last season after Mike Nugent was hurt in the season opener. Feely, 32, made 24 of 28 field-goal tries, including 2-for-2 from 50 yards or longer. Feely's return was expected because the Jets never made a serious move to keep Nugent, who signed a one-year contract with the Bucs ... Former Jets WR Laveranues Coles signed with the Bengals. NFL Network reported the deal was $28 million for four years.

Does that article get anyone excited about this dude? Maybe it's me. OK, obviously he is not a gifted athlete, ala no division one school cared about him.

Yes, he does have heart , you can't deny that, but besides his sophmore season at Wisconsin "ripping up the BIG 10" and 13 games playing next to the best in the game, I see nothing that he's done.

Ultimately, Rex knows who he's dealing with so if he says he wants him, that cool, but it's not like we landed some monster free agent

Like it says,the Ravens made little(probably "no" attempt to keep him) and I don't think teams coached by guys not named Rex Ryan were blowing up his phone.

I think it a case of Rudy. Rex likes the kids heart. I hope year five is the big one for this kid.

Does that article get anyone excited about this dude? Maybe it's me. OK, obviously he is not a gifted athlete, ala no division one school cared about him.

Yes, he does have heart , you can't deny that, but besides his sophmore season at Wisconsin "ripping up the BIG 10" and 13 games playing next to the best in the game, I see nothing that he's done.

Ultimately, Rex knows who he's dealing with so if he says he wants him, that cool, but it's not like we landed some monster free agent

Like it says,the Ravens made little(probably "no" attempt to keep him) and I don't think teams coached by guys not named Rex Ryan were blowing up his phone.

I think it a case of Rudy. Rex likes the kids heart. I hope year five is the big one for this kid.

These are the signings that create the building blocks. You think Washington spending $150 million on Haynesworth and DeAngelo Hall just bought themselves a Super Bowl?

Rex knows how to put a defense together. And it is not all about gathering "names", i.e. - Ray Lewis.

I work in sports, and I'm pretty good friends with a very famous sports writer who has some excellent sources. He says that almost everyone says this : "Jim Leonhard has NO extreme physical talents like any other NFL player would. He's not lightning quick. He's undersized...only 5-8 and 186 lbs. He's got the size of an average Joe. BUT, he is one of the hardest working players in the league. He plays so tough, never takes any plays off. Always puts in 110% effort and it shows. It's almost impossible not to like the guy."

I love it.

Understand one thing.

You have to be an exceptionally gifted athlete to be 5'7" and play in the NFL and Leonhard is just that, an EXCEPTIONALLY gifted athlete.

His not being recruited by a D1 school had nothing to do with athleticism and everything to do with size.

I work in sports, and I'm pretty good friends with a very famous sports writer who has some excellent sources. He says that almost everyone says this : "Jim Leonhard has NO extreme physical talents like any other NFL player would. He's not lightning quick. He's undersized...only 5-8 and 186 lbs. He's got the size of an average Joe. BUT, he is one of the hardest working players in the league. He plays so tough, never takes any plays off. Always puts in 110% effort and it shows. It's almost impossible not to like the guy."

I love it.

I agree Babe. The undersized part is why he wasn't "looked at" for major college FB or drafted by an NFL team. It had nothing to do with his play. He is solid. He is smart. He puts every once of himself into each play. He is quick enough. He hits like a ton of bricks. This guy will be a fan favorite in a hurry.

The guy is a gifte athlete as well. He can dunk a basketball at 5'8". (He won a slam dunk contest at Wisconsin over guys 6'5"). He is fast as hell. The reason he was not given a scholarship or drafted by an NFL team was because of his size. He makes up for that with heart and perserverance. This is the kind of guy you want. When people tell him he can't do something, he does it anyway. I'd rather have him than a proto-type safety who plays for the bucks anyday!!

He IS gifted athletically.

I meant to say he wasn't blessed with the size to be looked at by Div I schools, Chrebet same thing.

Difference is, by his 5th year,people knew Wayne Chrebet. Leonhard has 13 good NFL games on a FANTASTIC defense.

I think it's important that he is familiar with the system and Rex likes him.I LIKE THE SIGNING, I HOPE HE PLAYS GREAT.

He's a great story. Who hasn't done much yet.

I HOPE he is fantastic this year.

These are the signings that create the building blocks. You think Washington spending $150 million on Haynesworth and DeAngelo Hall just bought themselves a Super Bowl?

Rex knows how to put a defense together. And it is not all about gathering "names", i.e. - Ray Lewis.

Yes, inserting a SS that knows the system and can return kicks is fine. I have no problem with the signing.

I don't care about the big names, I love the term "suffocating defense".

I was pointing out that in 5 NFL years he's not done much besides 13 games of helping the Ravens suffocate, if he can give us 16 + more next year, I'm happy.

this used to say:

I don't agree with him returning punts, not with a guy named Washington on the roster,sorry.

but Slats showed me the light.

I don't agree with him returning punts, not with a guy named Washington on the roster,sorry.

A guy named Washington needs more touches on offense. Getting off the PR team will help in that regard. And of all his abilities, returning punts is probably his weakest area. I mean, he's still good - he was 7th in the AFC with a 10.4 yard average last year. It's just that Leonhard was better, ranking 4th with an 11.6 average.

Leonhard's the new punt returner, and it's good for the Jets on a couple levels.

A guy named Washington needs more touches on offense. Getting off the PR team will help in that regard. And of all his abilities, returning punts is probably his weakest area. I mean, he's still good - he was 7th in the AFC with a 10.4 yard average last year. It's just that Leonhard was better, ranking 4th with an 11.6 average.

Leonhard's the new punt returner, and it's good for the Jets on a couple levels.

Well, I'll be ......... plus they both coughed it up once and have 0TD's.

LWash has the upperhand on KR, but not by much. a few more ypr and a TD.

YES, I agree with everything you said. Leonhard a much better PR than I thought.

Actually makes the signing even better;

pressure off Wash on PR, double KR threat, a familiar DB, he'll teach how to "suffocate".

Thanks for the info, Slats, I was referring to the article, but the numbers don't lie, kid wwas a better PR than Washington last year, I'm shocked, but very happy.

Also nulifies the Justin Miller talk.

Also nulifies the Justin Miller talk.

That was one thing that worried me about cutting Miller. A backup for Leon in case, GOD forbid, he gets hurt.

LM, the other thing I like is that, even though the body of his NFL career is not overly impressive, we are getting him young and off of his best year, hopefully on the way up for a change.

No more 30+ FAs for me.

$6 million is "big bucks" to any of us, but I was really shocked that he signed a contract that small.

The article just puts in perspective, when he was a freshman in college, he wasn't even on a team and he walked on. Never in his wildest dreams did he think he would be making multi-million dollars a year in the NFL. And now it's come true.

Great story & I hope his success continues with the Jets & Ryan.

Archived