Marques Murrell

BroadwayJoe12

I got this video from my buddy over at NFLDC and thought it was quite interesting.

Apparently Rex Ryan is very interested in Murrell, be it for pass rush or whatever. My buddy brought up a good point, that it could be another classic case of Mangini missusing a player at ILB and we could have a situational pass rusher or a dream-come-true type of scenario, james harrison.

He put some fantastic stats in college, granted it was with Appalachian State, but still very good production.

8mQ3YNYFo10&eurl

http://cdsdraft.com/profile.php?id=1001

"An incredibly productive player with good blood lines: brother, Adrian, played 10 seasons in the NFL with the New York Jets, Arizona Cardinals, Washington Redskins and Dallas Cowboys. Murrell was: a candidate for the Buck Buchanan Award given to the top defensive player in NCAA Division I-AA football, a 2006 1-AA All-America Team, named to first-team All-America selection by The Sports Network and ranks among ASU’s all-time leaders with 55 career sacks, 59 tackles for loss and 18 forced fumbles proving that last year’s All-America campaign was not entirely the result of playing opposite another All-America defensive end in Jason Hunter. Also the first player in ASU’s long line of standout defensive linemen to lead the squad in sacks three-straight seasons adding 15 pounds to his six-foot-two frame in the offseaon combining speed and power to frustrate offensive tackles and get to the quarterback or ball carrier.

2005: Consensus first-team All-American, first-team all-Southern Conference selection, placed ninth in voting for Buck Buchanan Award, and led the SoCon in sacks (13) and tackles for loss (26.5)tied with teammate Jason Hunter for ASU single-season sack record.

Murrell was one of just three players to rank among the top 10 nationally in sacks (13; t-9th), tackles for loss (26.5; 5th) and forced fumbles (7; 3rd)and led Mountaineers in forced fumbles (7), quarterback hurries (8) and fumble recoveries, he even came up with perhaps the biggest play in Mountaineer history when he stripped Northern Iowa quarterback Eric Sanders of the ball in the fourth quarter of the 2005 national championship game, Hunter scooped up the fumble for what turned out to be the winning touchdown of the Apps’ 21-16 triumph had eight tackles, 3.5 for loss, 2.5 sacks, two forced fumbles and two QB hurries in the triumph over EKU and seven tackles, 2.5 for loss and a sack in 30-3 rout of nationally ranked Coastal Carolina all three of his tackles at The Citadel were behind the line of scrimmage (including two sacks) also returned a fumble 89 yards for a touchdown versus the Bulldogs, en route to SoCon Defensive Player of the Week accolades he was named I-AA.org National Weekly All-Star for efforts in title game.

2004: Earned first-team all-SoCon honors from the league’s media and second-team plaudits from the coaches and led the conference with 7.0 sacks and ranked third in the league with 12.5 tackles for loss on the season recorded at least one stop behind the line of scrimmage in eight of 11 games and turned in his best stretch of the season versus three-straight top-five opponents, combining for 19 tackles, 5.5 tackles for loss and three sacks in wins over No. 2 Furman and No. 5 Wofford and had a sack, forced fumble and two quarterback hurries in thrilling 30-29 triumph over No. 2 Furman in his best performance he recorded a career-high 2.5 TFL and forced a fumble in 38-17 rout over Wofford.

2003: Played in all 11 games, mostly on special teams posting12 tackles, including four for loss with 1.5 sacks as well as a forced a fumble against Chattanooga and had his first quarterback sack versus Hawaii."

The great Adrian Murrell's little brother will be our top OLB reserve if Bryan Thomas is let go.

Would it at all surprise anyone if he does turn into a stud, an mangini just used him wrong?

I think that happening is at odds with itself; Mangini misusing a player who could become a standout player is easily believable, however, a player on our practice squad becoming a standout player is at odds against the history of the jets...good video though, should be an interesting camp, seeing as everyone's getting a fair shot.

I don't think Mangini used Murrell as an ILB. He played OLB and situational pass rusher. This seems to be a case of unwarranted Mangini bashing. He takes players off the scrap heap (Ratliff, Murrell) and people bash him for not giving them tons of reps. Murrell seems like an undersized (teeny) DE that can't play in coverage, so he should fit Ryan's system better than Mangini's. IMO he plays better coming forward and is the team's best natural pass rusher.

If he turns out to be a player it will likely have more to do with it taking time to get acclimated to the size and speed of the NFL from 1AA than being misused. Mangini did have a thing about players (Gholston) learning the entire position and D before seeing the field so maybe Ryan will find use for him.

If he turns out to be a player it will likely have more to do with it taking time to get acclimated to the size and speed of the NFL from 1AA than being misused. Mangini did have a thing about players (Gholston) learning the entire position and D before seeing the field so maybe Ryan will find use for him.

Interesting video. But I agree with what #27TheDominator said. I don't think it's really a case of misusing a player. With that said, it'll be interesting to see what Ryan can do with him.

Interesting video. But I agree with what #27TheDominator said. I don't think it's really a case of misusing a player. With that said, it'll be interesting to see what Ryan can do with him.

Exactly. You do not misuse UDFAs... You misuse #6 picks in the draft though.

Archived