Yankees Opening Day Roster

Morrissey

Yankees currently have 31 players in camp. 25 of them will obviously be in the opening day roster. A-Rod will start the year on the DL, so for now, leave him off the 25 man.

Here's a list of the 31 players still in camp:

1. Alfredo Aceves
  2. Jonathan Albaladejo
  3. Brian Bruney
  4. A.J. Burnett
  5. Joba Chamberlain
  6. Phil Coke
  7. Dan Giese
  8. Damaso Marte
  9. Andy Pettitte
  10. Edwar Ramirez
  11. Mariano Rivera
  12. CC Sabathia
  13. Jose Veras
  14. Chien-Ming Wang
  15. Brett Tomko

16. Kevin Cash
  17. Jose Molina
  18. Jorge Posada

19. Angel Berroa
  20. Robinson Cano
  21. Derek Jeter
  22. Ramiro Pena
  23. Cody Ransom
  24. Alex Rodriguez
  25. Mark Teixeira

26. Melky Cabrera
  27. Johnny Damon
  28. Brett Gardner
  29. Xavier Nady
  30. Nick Swisher
  31. Hideki Matsui

Girardi has said they are going to go with 12 pitchers. So that makes it 12 pitchers and 13 position players.

Girardi has also hinted they aren't going with a long reliever. That means no Tomko, Giese, or Aceves.

Berroa probably has a better bat than Pena, but when are we going to need it? I'd prefer to have Pena's defense for late in games.

Personally wish David Robertson still had a chance to make the club out of spring training. He had a great spring. 8 games, 8 innings, 2 hits, 1 earned run, 2 walks, 12 strikeouts. But he, as well as Mark Melancon, gives us a ton of depth in our bullpen.

Here is what Opening Day's roster will likely look:

Lineup:

Derek Jeter SS

Johnny Damon LF

Mark Teixeira 1B

Hideki Matsui DH

Jorge Posada C

Robinson Cano 2B

Xavier Nady RF

Cody Ransom 3B

Brett Gardner CF

Bench:

Nick Swisher OF/1B

Jose Molina C

Melky Cabrera OF

Ramiro Pena IF (Though, could be Angel Berroa if they want Pena playing everyday)

Rotation:

CC Sabathia LHP

Chien-Ming Wang RHP

A.J. Burnett RHP

Andy Pettitte LHP

Joba Chamberlain RHP

Bullpen:

Mariano Rivera RHP

Brian Bruney RHP

Damaso Marte LHP

Jose Veras RHP

Edwar Ramirez RHP

Phil Coke LHP

Jonathan Albaladejo RHP

Replace Pena with Berroa and I agree with everything said.

Although I have to admit I know almost nothing about Phil Coke.

Well he's a LH pitcher with nasty stuff.

We got a preview of him last season. In 2008 he pitched 14.2 innings with a 0.61 ERA. 14 strike outs, 8 hits, 2 walks, 1 earned run.

He's been pretty dominant this spring. 14 innings with 15 strike outs, 8 hits, 1 walk.

Good post. I don't like that Girardi plans on having no long guy in his bullpen.

Every once in a while something happens (blowout, rain delay, injury) where you need to bring in someone to eat up innings and save your bullpen.

To accomplish this I guess I would leave Albaladejo off and add either Giese, Tomko or Aceves. I'm not sure which of those three I would take. I'd have to look at their spring numbers.

Replace Pena with Berroa and I agree with everything said.

Although I have to admit I know almost nothing about Phil Coke.

Coke is a former starter who moved to the bullpen last year (or was it the year before?) in AAA and he seems to have caught on. He's a solid lefty out of the bullpen.

And I definitely hope we take Pena over Berroa. Pena may actually turn into a nice player. He might be the best defensive shortstop in the organization.

I've heard good thing about Pena. He is supposed to be an amazing fielder whose ****ty at the plate. However, they have been saying that he put on some muscle and has become a better hitter.

He hit .266 in AA last year, but he was fighting some injuries while doing that. We'll get a chance to see what he can do, I suppose.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2009/03/28/2009-03-28_ramiro_pena_coming_up_fast_at_shortstop_.html

http://waswatching.com/2009/03/22/ramiro-pena-and-eduardo-nunez/

After seeing what Phil Coke has done, I honestly think he should be the lefty set-up instead of Damaso Marte, either that or make Coke a long relief guy, instead of putting a guy like Tomko on the team.

I think Marte is underrated by most Yankee fans, but Coke does have a chance to be better, his breaking stuff is nasty, but that just shows you the depth our bullpen has. Also, long relief is for pitchers who aren't really good. Most of there work is mop up duty, when we're either getting killed or we're doing the killing. Pitching in the 7th inning in a close ball game is far more important than mop up work.

I think we've got a long man on the roster, and we wouldn't have to carry a guy like Tomko, Giese, or Aceves on the roster. Phil Coke was a starter, so he has the ability to be a long man, the thing is though, he's probably our best reliever behind Mariano, so I don't know if we'll ever think of using him as a set-up. But Coke definitely has the ability to be the long man, the team just isn't calling him a long man.

Some news:

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/

UPDATE, 9:25 a.m.: Per Brian Cashman, Jonathan Albaladejo is on the team.

UPDATE, 9:35 a.m.: Lots of news this morning:

Alfredo Aceves and Dan Giese were optioned to Scranton. Kevin Cash and Brett Tomko were reassigned to the minor-league camp. They’ll be at Scranton.

No decision yet on the utility reliever. Cashman said he wants to see what players become available out of other organizations first.

UPDATE, 9:40 a.m.: The rotation at Scranton, Cashman said, would be Hughes, Kennedy, Igawa, Aceves and Jason Johnson. They plan to use Brett Tomko out of the bullpen.

Well there you have it, here is your opening day pitching staff:

Rotation:

CC Sabathia LHP

Chien-Ming Wang RHP

A.J. Burnett RHP

Andy Pettitte LHP

Joba Chamberlain RHP

Bullpen:

Mariano Rivera RHP

Brian Bruney RHP

Damaso Marte LHP

Jose Veras RHP

Edwar Ramirez RHP

Phil Coke LHP

Jonathan Albaladejo RHP

I think Marte is underrated by most Yankee fans, but Coke does have a chance to be better, his breaking stuff is nasty, but that just shows you the depth our bullpen has. Also, long relief is for pitchers who aren't really good. Most of there work is mop up duty, when we're either getting killed or we're doing the killing. Pitching in the 7th inning in a close ball game is far more important than mop up work.

He was downright nasty vs lefties in 07. He got in trouble last year when you guys tried to use him for multiple innings. He just needs to be managed better, imo.

Pena won the job, will likely be sent back down when A-Rod returns, and Ransom will take over as the utility infielder. Berroa was sent to minor league camp.

So here is your Opening Day roster:

Lineup:

Derek Jeter SS

Johnny Damon LF

Mark Teixeira 1B

Hideki Matsui DH

Jorge Posada C

Robinson Cano 2B

Xavier Nady RF

Cody Ransom 3B

Brett Gardner CF

Bench:

Nick Swisher OF/1B

Jose Molina C

Melky Cabrera OF

Ramiro Pena IF

Rotation:

CC Sabathia LHP

Chien-Ming Wang RHP

A.J. Burnett RHP

Andy Pettitte LHP

Joba Chamberlain RHP

Bullpen:

Mariano Rivera RHP

Brian Bruney RHP

Damaso Marte LHP

Jose Veras RHP

Edwar Ramirez RHP

Phil Coke LHP

Jonathan Albaladejo RHP

Pena won the job, will likely be sent back down when A-Rod returns, and Ransom will take over as the utility infielder. Berroa was sent to minor league camp.

So here is your Opening Day roster:

Lineup:

Derek Jeter SS

Johnny Damon LF

Mark Teixeira 1B

Hideki Matsui DH

Jorge Posada C

Robinson Cano 2B

Xavier Nady RF

Cody Ransom 3B

Brett Gardner CF

Bench:

Nick Swisher OF/1B

Jose Molina C

Melky Cabrera OF

Ramiro Pena IF

Rotation:

CC Sabathia LHP

Chien-Ming Wang RHP

A.J. Burnett RHP

Andy Pettitte LHP

Joba Chamberlain RHP

Bullpen:

Mariano Rivera RHP

Brian Bruney RHP

Damaso Marte LHP

Jose Veras RHP

Edwar Ramirez RHP

Phil Coke LHP

Jonathan Albaladejo RHP

How you feeling about X starting?

"We feel it's the best pitching staff we can take right now," general manager Brian Cashman said. "Normally, you have a lot of things happen, and decisions get made for you. In this particular camp so far, knock on wood, we've actually had to pick. In many cases, it's hard."

Albaladejo, 26, was named to his second successive Opening Day roster. In nine Spring Training appearances, he posted a 0.93 ERA, allowing one run in 9 2/3 innings. He scattered eight hits, walking one and striking out eight, and he came out of manager Joe Girardi's office smiling.

Archived