Wang to pitch in extended spring training game

Morrissey

I still feel that it is related to his foot injury. He is doing something different to relieve the pain, or discomfort.

What pain? That injury may be effecting his mechanics, he may be scared to push off properly, but this wasn't happened in spring training. If Wang is feeling any pain we would know about it. We have no evidence that he's injured, and I'm pretty sure he'd be on the DL if he was.

By the way, Bruney had the same injury, and he's fine.

What pain? That injury may be effecting his mechanics, he may be scared to push off properly, but this wasn't happened in spring training. If Wang is feeling any pain we would know about it. We have no evidence that he's injured, and I'm pretty sure he'd be on the DL if he was.

By the way, Bruney had the same injury, and he's fine.

Bruney actually made statements about how initially he wasn't the same and didn't trust his ankle when he first came back.

Bruney actually made statements about how initially he wasn't the same and didn't trust his ankle when he first came back.

Yeah, that is what could be going on with Wang, but that's phycological, that doesn't mean he's injured or is feeling any pain or discomfort. If Wang was injured, he wouldn't be pitching, I would hope...

From Kim Jones's blog

This whole Chien-Ming Wang thing is mind-boggling, probably to him more than to us. A guy who used to serve up double-play balls as needed suddenly struggles to get an out. I wonder if Brian Bruney is onto something when he suggested Sunday that Wang doesn't trust his right foot yet. That's his push-off foot and Bruney went through the same thing while coming back from the same injury. At this point, if that's the case, you'd have to consider it the best-case scenario for Wang, right? I mean, if the foot's right, he'll eventually trust it. And by "eventually," it's got to be soon, no? Then there's the fact that his bullpens are good - so says everyone who watches them - and his game performances horrific.

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/

Sounds like a good idea to me. Doesn't really matter who he faces, my old high school team would of crushed Wang his last last 3 starts, his problem his mechanical.

Hopefully he gain some confidence down in Tampa.

His pitches are up and his fastball has lost velocity. He is probably worried about the foot and it's messing his motion and follow through up. Good move by the Yanks.

Hopefully he gain some confidence down in Tampa.

His pitches are up and his fastball has lost velocity. He is probably worried about the foot and it's messing his motion and follow through up. Good move by the Yanks.

The question is - do they DL him if he pitches poorly in Tampa?

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/

Report on Wang

APRIL 23

Chien-Ming Wang threw 91 pitches today in Tampa today, 70 for strikes.

I’m still gathering the details in terms of hits and runs, but he struck out 11 without a walk and was averaging around 91 with his fastball.

Wag pitched in an extended spring training game, which is not an official minor-league game. That is why is was allowed to play.

Without being there, it’s impossible to say how he looked. The AP had a reporter there and this post will be updated as more information comes in. I think almost regardless of how he looked, however, it seems likely the Yankees will put Wang on the disabled list against his wishes.

Phil Hughes (3-0, 1.86) is ready to go in Scranton and pitched last night. He is set for Tuesday in Detroit if that is what they decide to do.

Hughes pitched well last night (7.2 6 1 1 1 7) against Buffalo.

Updates to come.

UPDATE, 3:41 p.m.: Nardi Contreras just told reporters in Tampa that Wang needs more arm strength and that his sinker is not consistent enough.

I don’t know what injury they’ll claim he has, but every indication is that Wang will be on the DL sometime soon.

UPDATE, 4:57 p.m.: Wang allowed nine hits, four runs (three earned) against a team of Phillies prospects.

Gimme, I think they are going to listen to Nardi Contreras, his word is gospel. He says Wang doesn't have his usual arm strength, then why not continue to build him up in extended spring training, that's what it's for. His reasoning for his arm strength being what it is is a pretty good, not throwing for 8 months is a pretty solid explanation, no?

Gimme, I think they are going to listen to Nardi Contreras, his word is gospel. He says Wang doesn't have his usual arm strength, then why not continue to build him up in extended spring training, that's what it's for. His reasoning for his arm strength being what it is is a pretty good, not throwing for 8 months is a pretty solid explanatio, no?

Yep. Unfortunately regardless of how Phil does I think they have to send him back down though once Wang is "right". With the length of this past spring he should have had enough time to regain his arm strength but who knows, maybe he hit the dead arm period later than most starters do every spring. I'd like to see Hughes up for a look. Detroit won't be a easy start though.

Yep. Unfortunately regardless of how Phil does I think they have to send him back down though once Wang is "right". With the length of this past spring he should have had enough time to regain his arm strength but who knows, maybe he hit the dead arm period later than most starters do every spring. I'd like to see Hughes up for a look. Detroit won't be a easy start though.

You're right, I'd give Hughes 2 starts, but then obviously you have to send him back down for CMW. If the regular CMW comes back than you're where you want to be.

Archived