Trade up? (speculation, not an actual rumor)

derp

Something I think could happen that's worth considering. The Jets have picks 52 and 76 in the second and third rounds. There's no guarantee that there will be prospects we like that fit needs there. A spot where there will be a lot of prospects that fit needs is the late first round. Should be some good WR's, we can reach for Jarron Gilbert, one of the top 3 backs will probably be there. Tannenbaum actually mentioned in the pre-draft presser that he likes to trade up into the late first. Presumably this would be because, as Sperm mentioned in another thread, first rounders can be signed to longer contract.

Furthermore, the Steelers have serious cap issues. Right now they're only 450,000 under the cap, not nearly enough to sign all of their picks. I'm not sure if this is the case, but it may be easier to sign two prospects at 52 and 76 than a first rounder at 32. They'll have to cut guys to sign their rookies anyway, but a trade down could make things a little easier. Conveniently, on the trade chart the value for pick 32 is 590 points, while the trade value for pick 52 is 380 and the trade value for pick 76 is 210, making 32 for 52 and 76 a completely even deal per the chart.

Could make sense for both teams, and it's a fair deal. I'd definitely be alright with doing something along these lines come draft day, though trading down is fun too. You have to know Tanny is going to move one way or another at some point this draft, though. This is just a guess at a possibility.

Also by having them sign in the first round, Tanny is able to sign them to a 5 year deal. If you are a 2nd rounder you can only sign to a max of a 4 year deal for your initial.

That is one of the big reasons why he jumped back into the 1st round to sign Keller.

Yup, I mentioned that at the end of the first paragraph, just not the Keller part :cheers:

Archived