FINALLY!!!! A Yankee free agent that is worth the $$$$$$

JonEJet

This may be the best free agent signing since Mussina..

Tex makes you feel like the Yankees finally got it right and beat the Red Sox in something when it comes to personnel

I don't get why people think Mussina was great for us. He was good to very good pitcher but we got him w/ thoughts of keeping the dynasty going and we never won a title w/ him and he wasn't a big game pitcher.

It's VERY early but so far it looks like they hit on all of the big 3 FAs.

Teixiera really took off once ARod came of the DL. They really missed him tonight.

He was beginning to come around before ARod came back.

He was 0 for 5 the game before ARod came back(and 0 for 3 the night ARod did come back) but the 3 previous games he was 5 for 14 w/ 2 HR and 5 RBI and the first 4 games ARod was back he was 2 for 14 w/ 2 RBI.

ARod comign back was good fior us but he gets way too much credit for the turnaround especially considering the offensive production has been very similar w/ and w/o ARod:

158 runs 28 games(5.6) w/o ARod

144 runs 25 games(5.8) w/ ARod

The difference has been runs allowed.

145 in 28 games(5.2) w/o him

99 in 25(4) games w/ him

.2 more runs scored per game, 1.2 less runs given up per game.

He was beginning to come around before ARod came back.

He was 0 for 5 the game before ARod came back(and 0 for 3 the night ARod did come back) but the 3 previous games he was 5 for 14 w/ 2 HR and 5 RBI and the first 4 games ARod was back he was 2 for 14 w/ 2 RBI.

ARod comign back was good fior us but he gets way too much credit for the turnaround especially considering the offensive production has been very similar w/ and w/o ARod:

158 runs 28 games(5.6) w/o ARod

144 runs 25 games(5.8) w/ ARod

The difference has been runs allowed.

145 in 28 games(5.2) w/o him

99 in 25(4) games w/ him

.2 more runs scored per game, 1.2 less runs given up per game.

Well stated!!

I was arguing with a client on this exact same topic a few days ago. My point was that the pitching improved greatly since A-Rod came back, while there really was little difference in the overall hitting, except for Tex, as the numbers do not lie. His point was that Tex lead some giant offensive awakening since A-Rod returned. I wish I had your numbers to back my argument.

I don't get why people think Mussina was great for us. He was good to very good pitcher but we got him w/ thoughts of keeping the dynasty going and we never won a title w/ him and he wasn't a big game pitcher.

It's VERY early but so far it looks like they hit on all of the big 3 FAs.

Mussina was great for the Yankees...he kept the drive alive so to speak as one of the better pitchers the Yankees had from 2001-2008. He pitched well against the Red Sox.

He pitched in 2 world series (1-1 with a 3.00 ERA) pitched fairly well in the ALCS and ALDS (including a gem against Oakland in 2001, and an amazing relief job in game 7 of the 2003 ALCS). Ha stayed far more consistant and healthy than any other pitcher the Yankees signed in the years he played for the Yankees.

Was he perfect? Was he the best pitcher in the league?

No, but he won more than he lost and helped the Yankees make the playoffs for every season but his last (where he won 20 games with a 3.37 ERA and 1.22 WHIP).

Mussina is woefully underappreciated by Yankee fans, and when you look at his contemporaries during those seasons (Weaver, Johnson, Wells leaving a World Series game, Contreas, Vasquez, Brown, etc)

Moos did his job with the Yanks and for the most part stayed healthy.

Archived