The Alex Rios disaster

AFJF

Does this get Kenny Williams fired if the Sox don't win it all?

==========================================================

Oops?! White Sox make $60-million waiver claim on Alex Rios

By David Brown

Kenny, what did you do?

Kenny Williams has pulled off some surprising moves since becoming Chicago's general manager, but this one raises the eyebrows to their highest possible point on the forehead.

The White Sox acquired two-time All-Star outfielder Alex Rios(notes) on Monday on waivers from the Blue Jays, a transaction the Chicago Tribune calls "shocking" because of his price tag.

Rios is owed $59.7 million from 2010-2014

Blue Jays got rid of a big contract but they just about admitting they will never be able to compete in AL East.

While I agree that the Jays are light years away from competing in the AL East, I don't think it's letting Alex Rios go that makes that obvious. He's an alright all around player at this point in his career and far from a difference maker. However, he is young enough to "turn it on" now that he's with a contender. Who knows. Maybe a flips the switch and tears it up. Big gamble by Williams IMO, but Rios was done in Toronto.

Blue Jays got rid of a big contract but they just about admitting they will never be able to compete in AL East.

Why, because they got rid of a bad contract that didn't produce nearly enough to warrant a corner OF spot? Kenny Williams just gave them a gift. Now, let's see if JP Ricciardi screws up with this free money.

While I agree that the Jays are light years away from competing in the AL East, I don't think it's letting Alex Rios go that makes that obvious. He's an alright all around player at this point in his career and far from a difference maker. However, he is young enough to "turn it on" now that he's with a contender. Who knows. Maybe a flips the switch and tears it up. Big gamble by Williams IMO, but Rios was done in Toronto.

Sounds like that is exactly what Williams is gambling on. Sometimes a change of scenery plus actually being in a pennant race does the trick to a player.

Sounds like that is exactly what Williams is gambling on. Sometimes a change of scenery plus actually being in a pennant race does the trick to a player.

This is why I thought I should have given the thread a different title but realized it too late. Rios was a disaster for Toronto but in Chicago he may regain his old form.

I don't for one second think Kenny Williams believed he would get stuck with Rios.

He was trying to block some other team from picking him up and got stuck holding a $60 million bag.

Steve Phillips blocked waivers all the time when he was the Mets GM, but never got stuck with anyone. Isn't this how the Yankees got Jose Canseco? Tried to prevent someone else from picking him up and got stuck with him.

I don't for one second think Kenny Williams believed he would get stuck with Rios.

He was trying to block some other team from picking him up and got stuck holding a $60 million bag.

Steve Phillips blocked waivers all the time when he was the Mets GM, but never got stuck with anyone. Isn't this how the Yankees got Jose Canseco? Tried to prevent someone else from picking him up and got stuck with him.

That's exactly how the Yankees got stuck with Canseco. Teams will put a guy on waivers and if he's half way decent they'll pull him back when a claim is made. If Kenny Williams seriously didn't want Alex Rios and took a $60 million gamble then he should be fired on the spot. You cost an owner a million here, a few million there..not that big of a deal. You explain to your boss that you accidentally spent $60 mil on a guy you didn't really want. SEE YA!

Archived