Goodell cracking down on tailgating

PatriotReign37

I know I'm in the minority here, but I think it's a great move. At least I appreciate the effort being made to those who just want to go to a damn game without having some drunk idiot picking a fight or throwing up right in front of me. If a certain percentage of the fans didn't act like dicks, this wouldn't even have to be done. IMO, blame them, not Goodell.

League's Twitter policy won't be "anything dramatic"

Posted by Mike Florio on August 23, 2009 12:52 PM ET

As the NFL continues to formulate a policy regarding the use of Twitter by its players, we periodically check on its status.

In an e-mail sent to us this morning, NFL spokesman Greg Aiello writes that the Twitter policy has not yet been finalized, but that we shouldn't expect "anything dramatic."

Said Aiello: "We embrace Twitter as a great new way to communicate with fans. We are simply clarifying how it should be applied in various circumstances."

That said, the individual teams might impose (and some have already) their own policies regarding the time, place, and/or content of the tweeting.

And the content will always be a potential concern. Things said on Twitter are no different than things said at a press conference. But it'll take a while for players to realize that they're likely to be a lot looser with their thoughts when sitting at their keyboards -- especially if they've also been bending their elbows.

WTF is that supposed to mean ?

I REALLY dis-like Mike Florio for some reason. He strikes me as a drama searching jerkoff.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I think it's a great move. At least I appreciate the effort being made to those who just want to go to a damn game without having some drunk idiot picking a fight or throwing up right in front of me. If a certain percentage of the fans didn't act like dicks, this wouldn't even have to be done. IMO, blame them, not Goodell.

Yea sure - lets punish the majority for the actions of a few. Another fine example of that backards logic.

Here's a better idea: Why not adequately punish those idiots that start fights? Ban those jerks for life at the stadium (or any stadium for that matter). I'm so sick and tired of rights being taken away from the masses because of the actions of a few people who can't handle their liquor - instead of addressing the issue with those at fault.

Yea sure - lets punish the majority for the actions of a few. Another fine example of that backards logic.

Here's a better idea: Why not adequately punish those idiots that start fights? Ban those jerks for life at the stadium (or any stadium for that matter). I'm so sick and tired of rights being taken away from the masses because of the actions of a few people who can't handle their liquor - instead of addressing the issue with those at fault.

First and foremost, drinking at football games is most certainly not a right. Further, quite frankly, as a long term solution, this makes little sense.

First and foremost, drinking at football games is most certainly not a right. Further, quite frankly, as a long term solution, this makes little sense.

And punishing the masses for the actions of a few is a solution? Sorry I'm not buying it.

While you're at it, why not limit every bar to a 2 drink limit to its patrons because fights can break out and people may get sick. Do the same for any concert, chili cook off, bike event, any sporting event, racing event, etc. since the same can happen.

It may not be a "right" to drink at football games, but it is allowed and people should be able to drink as long as they don't cause trouble and aren't out of control. Punishing tailgaters who act responsibly is not a solution.

Also, tailgating (which of course often includes drinking) is part of the experience for many who attend games. This is especially true at college games where tailgating is HUGE. Try telling SEC fans that they can't tailgate any more or they will be limited and see what happens.

I don't think it is really dollars and cents. The other recommendation was to limit how much booze you can sell to an indivual inside the stadium.

If teams do follow these suggestions, then the NFL will be doing significantly more to prevent people from getting killed by drunk drivers than banning Stallworth for life would.

How the hell are they going to control that ? I know some teams cut off beer sales at a certain point during the game but monitor each individual ? LMAO

How the hell are they going to control that ? I know some teams cut off beer sales at a certain point during the game but monitor each individual ? LMAO

Yeah, all I or any other person will do is continue to go one beer stand down and buy 2 more. Stupid. Could never work.

My guess is that they'd implement a similar policy that's used at many concerts; which is usually something along the lines of someone getting a wristband if they plan on drinking, and the wristband gets marked with a marker each time a drink is purchased. People find ways around it here and there, but it's actually a pretty effective system. I'm not saying it would be identical, but it would have to be something similar.

My guess is that they'd implement a similar policy that's used at many concerts; which is usually something along the lines of someone getting a wristband if they plan on drinking, and the wristband gets marked with a marker each time a drink is purchased. People find ways around it here and there, but it's actually a pretty effective system. I'm not saying it would be identical, but it would have to be something similar.

This has inherent flaws as well. Everyone has different tolerance levels, so what limit do you set that is fair to everyone? Answer: there is none.

As you said there are several ways around this as it is. A person in your group that doesn't drink can buy beers for you as an example. Plus many concerts and events allow you to exit an re-enter, allowing anyone to drink out in their cars. There are several other ways to get around this but I won't get into details.

What it comes down to is if someone wants to get drunk they will. The bad thing is that they tend to get twice as drunk because they drink twice as fast and twice as much before entering the event. So these policies can have the opposite effect then if they just dealt with the problem childs instead of trying to restrict people.

Did you read the article?

It has a recommendation on how much you can sell to a person in a single transaction. That was what I was referring to.

Would be harder but no impossible to limit the number of transactions per person. This could be accomplished by requiring you to present you seat ticket when purchasing booze all tickets have a bar code and all the vendors have linked computers. So it would not be hard to limit each seat to 4 beer or 3 beers or whatever. Would not be flawless as if you went with your wife and she didn't want to drink you could have here booze as well. But odds are if you are with your non-drinking wife you are probably not the violent trouble causing drunk that the league is trying to curtail. BUT SUCH A POLICY IS NOT BEING PROPOSED BY GODELL, I AM JUST POINTING OUT IT IS POSSIBLE.

Most people I know do not drink in the stadium anyway due to outrageous prices as one factor. I am going to more than happy to watch at a bar and try to go to a couple of games each year after this year.

Archived