How did the ump get that call wrong

Maxman

Bucknor missed two last night that hurt the Sox. Umpires are human and it's a part of the game. A lot of elements go into a win or a loss, some of them are just more glaring than others. Like Holliday's mistake in left field for the Cardinals. If the pitcher gets one out after that, no one is talking about how he missed that ball.

That was terrible.

How could he miss it 20 feet away with a clear view? I would be irate if I were a Twins fan. Blowing a call like that is devastating especially in the Playoffs.

Yes I would be irate. The catcher still should have scored easily from 2nd on the hit, so they have to second guess themselves for that. Regardless though-- terrible call.

Bucknor missed two last night that hurt the Sox. Umpires are human and it's a part of the game. A lot of elements go into a win or a loss, some of them are just more glaring than others. Like Holliday's mistake in left field for the Cardinals. If the pitcher gets one out after that, no one is talking about how he missed that ball.

Mistakes happen. But this was unreal. The ump was right in front of it, in perfect position. It isn't a bang bang play safe\out kind of thing. Just have to see where the ball lands and he missed it. That rarely happens.

Who knows, if he is on second, maybe he scores on Kubel's hit, then on the Cuddyer's hit, maybe Kubel moves to 3rd with the base open. Might have changed their strategy. Takes away the force out at home too. It would have been a completely different inning.

It was a poor call. And an apology to the Twins is not the way to go. Gardenhire has some merit with his comment that there should be a red flag to protest a call during the game in the post-season. It should not be so simple as to allow any call to be argued, but some guidelines should cover most weird situations like the one in Game 2.

Archived