The Terry Bradway Off Season Checklist

MiamiJet

As some of you may know, I follow both the Jets and Bears(I know, I know)and although the season is far from over, realistically, it is. I have not given up, but what can we realistically accomplish?

If we continue to lose, I would expect Herm to get Justin Miller and Derrick Strait plenty of playing time, and Bollinger should also get his reps. I would also like to see Cedric Houston indoctrinated into the NFL, and share plenty of reps with Derrick Blaylock. Jerricho Cotchery should also find himself getting more run, as I would expect him to be used much more next season. Now would be the time to get him ready to make the next step.

It sucks to think already about the off season, but guys, look. There are plenty of teams in much better shape than us. We have a brutal shcedule and I don't expect our line to suddenly protect Bollinger better than they did for Cahd and Jay.

This is what I think Terry Bradway should do during this off season.

1-Sign a QB capable of starting or overtaking Chad. Love him or hate him, it would be irresponsible to enter next season depending on Chad. Again. Granted, Jay Fiedler going down was a freak event, but Chad needs to be challenged. May the best qb win. I've had enough of this. If this means going after Tommy Maddox, Jon Kitna, Billy Volek, Drew Brees, Phillip Rivers, or signing someone out of college, so be it. Open up the competition. No one gets the automatic #1 job.

2-Dump Fabini and bring in someone alive. Fabini is a stiff who has caused defender after defender to brutalize our qb's. Use the draft or FA to pick up someone to protect their $64 million dollar investment. Overall, the entire offensive line needs a hard look. Kendall is versatile, and Mawae a rock, but their replacements have to be brought in now, and groomed in the event either falls to injury.

3-Kiss Martin goodbye. I love Martin, as his jersey hangs in my closet, but this is possibly his last season. Cedric Houston or Derrick Blaylock should get a serious look the further this season continues. Martin has been a rock, an ironman, but he cannot last forever. Blame the line or the man, Martin simply does not look the same, and he shouldn't. He has handled the ball far too much the past three years and is worn down. Youth, speed, wins in the NFL and Martin has neither. Holes close before he can hit them, and he rarely breaks the long run. We need gamebreakers, play makers on this team.

4-Decide whether to sign John Abraham to a long term contract, Franchise him again and trade him or let him walk.

This team has talent, but Terry Brdway is looking at a salary cap nightmare, especially if Chad can't go. He could either trade Abe and get multiple picks, with which he could use to fill holes in both our O and D line, or he use them as bait to land a qb. Either way, I doubt Terry uses the Franchise tag again.

5-Find a DT who can play alongside Dewayne Robertson. Tank played well on Sunday, but Pouha needs to be evaluated. Can he step up and take over,is he a project, or do we need someone else to step up and take the job? DRob is constanly double teamed and we need another solid player to help plug the gaps and attack the qb or at least keep bodies off Vilma.

6-Say goodbye to Chrebet. Jerricho should get his chance. He needs more looks as well and will be entering the infamous "breakout year" next year. Histroically, wideouts hit their breakout year, where most reach 1000 yds or more, in their third season. At the very least, his learning curve should rise dramatically and he should get more involved in the offense. I do not want to see him lose reps simply because Herm has a love affair with Chrebet, or is loyal.

Overall, I beleive Terry has done a good job with this team, but we have been exposed by some injuries. Terry should have a chance of bringing in some good players, once again, via the draft. I also believe that some longtime fan favorites might have to be let go. Martin and Chrebet are old and Fabini is done. They need to be replaced.

It would be wise of Herm to start playing the younger players in Nov/Dec if the Playoffs are out of reach, so that they can get ready for next season.

Thoughts?

As some of you may know, I follow both the Jets and Bears(I know, I know)and although the season is far from over, realistically, it is. I have not given up, but what can we realistically accomplish?

If we continue to lose, I would expect Herm to get Justin Miller and Derrick Strait plenty of playing time, and Bollinger should also get his reps. I would also like to see Cedric Houston indoctrinated into the NFL, and share plenty of reps with Derrick Blaylock. Jerricho Cotchery should also find himself getting more run, as I would expect him to be used much more next season. Now would be the time to get him ready to make the next step.

It sucks to think already about the off season, but guys, look. There are plenty of teams in much better shape than us. We have a brutal shcedule and I don't expect our line to suddenly protect Bollinger better than they did for Cahd and Jay.

1-Sign a QB capable of starting or overtaking Chad. Love him or hate him, it would be irresponsible to enter next season depending on Chad. Again. Granted, Jay Fiedler going down was a freak event, but Chad needs to be challenged. May the best qb win. I've had enough of this. If this means going after Tommy Maddox, Jon Kitna, Billy Volek, Drew Brees, Phillip Rivers, or signing someone out of college, so be it. Open up the competition. No one gets the automatic #1 job.

2-Dump Fabini and bring in someone alive. Fabini is a stiff who has caused defender after defender to brutalize our qb's. Use the draft or FA to pick up someone to protect their $64 million dollar investment. Overall, the entire offensive line needs a hard look. Kendall is versatile, and Mawae a rock, but their replacements have to be brought in now, and groomed in the event either falls to injury.

3-Kiss Martin goodbye. I love Martin, as his jersey hangs in my closet, but this is possibly his last season. Cedric Houston or Derrick Blaylock should get a serious look the further this season continues. Martin has been a rock, an ironman, but he cannot last forever. Blame the line or the man, Martin simply does not look the same, and he shouldn't. He has handled the ball far too much the past three years and is worn down. Youth, speed, wins in the NFL and Martin has neither. Holes close before he can hit them, and he rarely breaks the long run. We needs gamebreakers, play makers on this team.

4-Decide whether to sign John Abraham to a long term contract or let him walk.

This team has talent, but Terry Brdway is looking at a salary cap nightmare, especially if Chad can't go. He could either trade Abe and get multiple picks, with which he could use to fill holes in both our O and D line, or he use them as bait to land a qb. Either way, I doubt Terry uses the Franchise tag again.

5-Find a DT who can play alongside Dewayne Robertson. Tank played well on Sunday, but Pouha needs to be evaluated. Can he step up and take over,is he a project, or do we need someone else to step up and take the job? DRob is constanly double teamed and we need another solid player to help plug the gaps and attack the qb or at least keep bodies off Vilma.

6-Say goodbye to Chrebet. Jerricho should get his chance. He needs more looks as well and will be entering the infamous "breakout year" next year. Histroically, wideouts hit their breakout year, where most reach 1000 yds or more, in their third season. At the very least, his learning curve should rise dramatically and he should get more involved in the offense. I do not want to see him lose reps simply because Herm has a love affair with Chrebet, or is loyal.

Overall, I beleive Terry has done a good job with this team, but we have been exposed by some injuries. Terry should have a chance of bringing in some good players, once again, via the draft. I also believe that some longtime fan favorites might have to be let go. Martin and Chrebet are old and Fabini is done. They need to be replaced.

It would be wise of Herm to start playing the younger players in Nov/Dec if the Playoffs are out of reach, so that they can get ready for next season.

Thoughts?

Nothing that I haven't been saying for years.. =D>

I agree with everything you said.

Get rid of Fabini after the season is over!

Give Houston some damn carries, if he does very well we would be able to look past drafting a running back in the 1st or 2nd rd (or free agency), so we can focus on our bigger problems such as the Oline and QB situation. I dont know if Houstons thyroid would be an issue in whether or not he could start in this league and get over 300 carries, but I know he has the talent and skill to do so.

3-Kiss Martin goodbye. I love Martin, as his jersey hangs in my closet, but this is possibly his last season. Cedric Houston or Derrick Blaylock should get a serious look the further this season continues. Martin has been a rock, an ironman, but he cannot last forever. Blame the line or the man, Martin simply does not look the same, and he shouldn't. He has handled the ball far too much the past three years and is worn down. Youth, speed, wins in the NFL and Martin has neither. Holes close before he can hit them, and he rarely breaks the long run. We needs gamebreakers, play makers on this team.

4-Decide whether to sign John Abraham to a long term contract or let him walk.

Thoughts?

I concur. Cept with the getting rid of Martin and Pennington, at the same time, since that would be cap-impossible. They need to get the new CBA done, so they can have that get out of jail free card the NBA got, so they can cut the dead weight, without any cap implications.

I concur. Cept with the getting rid of Martin and Pennington, at the same time, since that would be cap-impossible. They need to get the new CBA done, so they can have that get out of jail free card the NBA got, so they can cut the dead weight, without any cap implications.

No, cap wise, it would be impossible, especially with John Abe's contract situation hanging over our heads like a guillotine.

I think the most logical choice would be to sit Chad down for the season and let him rehab through Spring. Unless we bombed and a Matt Leinhart fell to us in the draft, Terry would be wise to make a trade or sign one of the qb's I mentioned(Volek is untouchable, Kitna or Maddox a possibility and Brees or Rivers an outside chance.

Martin is most likely here for another year, but Herm would also be wise to go with youth. Play the kids and let Martin do his best Marcus Allen impersonation. I think that would be ideal, but maybe Terry finds the room and cuts him. I seriosuly doubt it. We cannot afford to restructure, as it doesn't help us in the least....

No, cap wise, it would be impossible, especially with John Abe's contract situation hanging over our heads like a guillotine.

I think the most logical choice would be to sit Chad down for the season and let him rehab through Spring. Unless we bombed and a Matt Leinhart fell to us in the draft, Terry would be wise to make a trade or sign one of the qb's I mentioned(Volek is untouchable, Kitna or Maddox a possibility and Brees or Rivers an outside chance.

Martin is most likely here for another year, but Herm would also be wise to go with youth. Play the kids and let Martin do his best Marcus Allen impersonation. I think that would be ideal, but maybe Terry finds the room and cuts him. I seriosuly doubt it. We cannot afford to restructure, as it doesn't help us in the least....

Well, you know that, I know that, most of the intelligent posters here know that, but that's what seperates us from others, I suppose.

The way I see it, the Jets are stuck with Chad and Curtis, for at least another year. 2007 will be the year that everyone gets their jail out of free card. Anyway, they need a vet, and they should (if those juniors declare) draft a QB for the third spot. Cut bait with the QB's currently on the roster, save for the one they can't. I'd draft offensive line heavy in the draft, pick up a few quality linemen at discount too. And one of those huge, never ending motor DT's that plug a hole. That'd be sweet.

All good ideas.

I would love if they totally tanked and Leinart fell in our laps. But that's no given; this is still a good enough defense to steal a few games.

One flaw in your plan-Edwards. He doesn't play young guys. Never has; never will. Until the old guy is being carted off, he doesn't break young guys into the lineup. Chrebet's a perfect example-he didn't even expect to be brought back. His job may be on the line, so in his mind it isn't time to see what the draft picks can do. On this his interests and the interests of the franchise may not coincide.

As far Edward is concerned - I wouldn't bank on him being here. Based on Woody's reactions to losing the last two seasons (both coordinator's fired) compounded with the way the Jets drafted win now luxery players - Woody realizes that his window has closed and it is time to move on. That is my opinion and it makes sense considering the patch job done. I do think Bradway survives though. Many of his players are starting and making contributions - unfortunatly most of them are currently contributing with other teams.

All good ideas.

I would love if they totally tanked and Leinart fell in our laps. But that's no given; this is still a good enough defense to steal a few games.

One flaw in your plan-Edwards. He doesn't play young guys. Never has; never will. Until the old guy is being carted off, he doesn't break young guys into the lineup. Chrebet's a perfect example-he didn't even expect to be brought back. His job may be on the line, so in his mind it isn't time to see what the draft picks can do. On this his interests and the interests of the franchise may not coincide.

I do agree, but Herm has shown more flexibility with playing young guys. He did give the job to Vilma, albeit AFTER Cowart went down to injury, but he also awarded jobs to Coleman and Rhodes after good trainign camps.

I think Martin can still contribute to this team, but again, I would like to see him play more of a Marcus Allen role. Use him on third downs and around the goal line. Take advantage of his experience, but not expose him. We do not have the type of line that can open up huge gaping holes for him. At least not now, at this moment.

This season is thisclose to being shot to hell. Heimerdinger has one hell of a job trying to get Bolly ready. Had our line been more steady, he might have a better chance.

Several good things can come from this, though. Bolly gets his chance and so does Cotchery. Blaylock and Houston also see more time as the season goes on. Miller and Strait might also get their chance, and Gragg gets a chance to dig dirt on Fabini's grave.

Gragg is a strange situation. You have to play him to keep who ever the QB is from getting killed. But you cannot have another Adrian Jones/wishful thinking episode of not knowing what you have with your OL projects/FAs/draft picks/practice squaders until you see on the field that you've been kidding yourself.

Herm is attached to certain players (Vinny, Curtis, Chad) so even if we drafted Leinart he'd sit the bench for 5 years because HErm would give Chad every chance in the world to come back from his injury while making excuses for why leinart is not playing like "well right now he doesnt have proper english on his passes, he just has to stop thinking so much and get proper english on those passes. But dont worry if he ever plays and does well i will tell you that i knew it all along"

Archived