Jets News 3/7/10

SoFlaJets

Why Braylon Edwards IS The Right Man for the Jets WR1 Job

by Matt Birch on Mar 6, 2010

It's time to accept him into our family, Jets fans.

He was tendered at the highest level for a reason -- no team is going to pursue him at that hefty pricetag. So get used to having him around!

The Jets fan-base and media alike have been buzzing about Braylon Edwards and his future with the Jets. Since he was tendered earlier this week and WR's Anquan Boldin (who has now found a home in Balty) and Brandon Marshall were placed on the trading block, talks have been heating up. Many Jets fans feel that Braylon is not consistent enough, and that Brandon Marshall is the man for the job. I will tell you why he's not later in this piece.

Guys can say what they want about his attitude, but I see a new, focused Braylon emerging. Can you blame the guy for not wanting to play for Eric in Forbe's #1-ranked place featured in their "Most Miserable Cities" report?

There are a lot of intangibles and "little things" that Braylon does which go unnoticed. I truly believe he is going to have a breakout season next year, and am very happy that he will, indeed, be our WR1 in 2010 (pending an impulsive, shocking move).

Follow me after the jump so I can explain why Braylon is not only the Jets' best available candidate for this position, but also why you should respect his game.

As an added bonus, I will also give reasons as to why Brandon Marshall doesn't fit GangGreen's offensive scheme.

Before you judge him, and berate him for his 'drops', hear me out.

What I like about Braylon:

Coles May Want to Come Home

by John B on Mar 5, 2010 5:23 PM EST

Laveranues Coles reportedly is interested in being a Jet again.

Laveranues Coles, released by the Bengals yesterday, said he plans to contact the Jets to see if they want him to return.

"They

Risky Cromartie Addition Could Give Jets Top Defensive Backfield

By MARK CANNIZZARO

The Jets yesterday introduced the newest piece to Rex Ryan's defensive puzzle -- cornerback Antonio Cromartie, who at age 25 is a seven-time father and one-time Pro Bowler.

The Jets traded a 2011 conditional third-round draft pick to the Chargers late Thursday night in hopes that Cromartie, an enigmatic talent, adds a second Pro Bowl by the time 2010 is finished.

"When we weighed everything, we felt like the risk was reasonable given price we had to pay," Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum said yesterday, referring to Cromartie's inconsistent play since his career year in 2007 (10 interceptions) and his chronicled child-support issues. "Without those issues, maybe he wouldn't have been available at this price. We're looking forward to him having a fresh start with us."

050_antonio_cromartie--300x300.jpg

BIG DADDY: Cornerback Antonio Cromartie, who has seven children in five states by six different women, was traded from the Chargers to the Jets for a 2011 conditional third-round draft pick.

So, too, is Cromartie, who has had five interceptions in the last two seasons and has been a suspect tackler.

"I'm excited about being in a new scenario and having a fresh start," Cromartie said. "This fresh start is going to work out for the best for me and the Jets organization. I'm not going to let them down in any way."

Cromartie addressed a number of topics, including:

* Whether he can return to his 2007 form: "I believe I can. I love playing bump-and-run and am excited about getting ready for this upcoming season. In 2007, I played lot more man-to-man."

* Starting opposite Jets' Pro Bowl cornerback Darrelle Revis: "I'm definitely looking forward to being on the other side of the No. 1 corner in the NFL."

* His suspect tackling: "I'm not the best tackler out there. It's been inconsistent at times in my career. I'm going to work on it in the offseason and I'll be surrounded by guys on the team and coaching staff to help me do that."

* His whiffed tackle on the 53-yard TD run by Jets running back Shonn Greene in the playoffs that has been posted on YouTube: "It's something I should have made the play on. I was there to make a tackle for a three- or four-yard gain and it didn't happen. It's something I look back on, but now I have to forget and move on."

* His kids: "I have seven kids in five different states. I made some wrong decisions my first two years in the NFL, and now I have to take on that responsibility to be a father."

* His child-support problems: "I need to deal with my kids and child-support issues. Those things are being taken care of. . . . I'm going to be the best father to them that I can."

* Off-field issues being a distraction: "It won't impact my focus on the field. I can separate my personal life and off-field issues from football."

If Cromartie plays the way he did in 2007, Ryan will have the best cornerback tandem in the NFL.

The Jets yesterday officially released RB Thomas Jones and CB Donald Strickland, whose 2009 season was riddled with injuries.

Asked if there's any possibility the Jets would re-sign Jones, Tannenbaum said, "Yes, there is certainly a scenario where we would evaluate that. But right now he's looking at other opportunities, and we're doing the same."

Cromartie file

Ht./Wt.: 6-foot-2, 203

Position: Cornerback

* Was first-team All-Pro in 2007 with 10 interceptions.

* Has just five picks in last two seasons.

* Hasn't paid $799 in traffic-related fines.

* Reportedly fathered seven children by six different women in five states.

* Allegedly was past due on $25,000 in child support last month.

2. He needs to realize he will not be a starter. He will work primarily out of the slot.

3. He needs to realize playing time will not be guaranteed. If the Jets draft somebody like Jordan Shipley or Golden Tate, they will compete with him for the job.

I don't see Lava a slot receiver. I just think the guy's taken way too much punishment over the course of his career to expect him to be able to take that kind of abuse week in and week out at this stage. If anything, he'd be the #3 WR, but lineup outside with Cotch moving to the slot in 3 WR sets.

That said, I strongly prefer the draft pick route. Rather than sign Coles with the caveat that there'd be no guarantees, I'd wait to see what the position looks like after the draft before I even spoke to him. If he signs somewhere else, it's really no great loss.

I don't see Lava a slot receiver. I just think the guy's taken way too much punishment over the course of his career to expect him to be able to take that kind of abuse week in and week out at this stage. If anything, he'd be the #3 WR, but lineup outside with Cotch moving to the slot in 3 WR sets.

That said, I strongly prefer the draft pick route. Rather than sign Coles with the caveat that there'd be no guarantees, I'd wait to see what the position looks like after the draft before I even spoke to him. If he signs somewhere else, it's really no great loss.

and this whole notion that Coles would play for less money....when has he EVER done that? When has he EVER taken less money to play anywhere...pass....see ya twice next year down in Miami

and this whole notion that Coles would play for less money....when has he EVER done that? When has he EVER taken less money to play anywhere...pass....see ya twice next year down in Miami

Agreed. The greedy mofo can go play with Pennington!

Agreed. The greedy mofo can go play with Pennington!

Pennington was his bitch anyway, he was butt hurt when we cut Penny and signed Favre. They can both go be gay together on South Beach in the teal & orange.

Agreed LC was greedy and wanted more. He had no loyalty to the JETS.

Archived