This Tebow article is more interesting to Jet fans because...

slats

... of the speculation at the bottom. Not that the idea of Tebow going late first/early second isn't interesting, I guess.

Tebow challenge will cause someone to take a chance on him early

Posted by Mike Florio on March 27, 2010 10:11 AM ET

Plenty of you have complained about the number of Tim Tebow stories on the site. The traffic generated by each story suggests a different sentiment.

Though we won't be flooding the site (some of you are saying, "Aren't you already?") with tales of Tebow, we will continue to follow the same principle that has guided us since November 1, 2001: If it's interesting to us, we'll assume it'll be interesting to you.

And here's something interesting we've heard recently regarding Tebow. A league source with extensive experience regarding the way teams think and operate told me Friday that he's convinced someone will jump on Tebow late in round one or early in round two for the opportunity to turn Tebow into a great quarterback.

"Someone will want to be the guy who turned Tebow into a star," the source said. "There's nothing to lose. Everyone expects him to struggle."

That's precisely why Packers coach Mike McCarthy recently told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that he'd "love the opportunity to develop him."

It's a twist on the more usual situation in which a highly-talented player has off-field issues or on-field attitudes that undermine his performance. Every coach believes that he's the coach to get through to the guy and change him. Thus, every coach will now believe that he's the coach to mold Tebow's talent and intangibles into greatness.

It also suggests to us that head coaches with an offensive background will be more likely to take Tebow, since those coaches will be in a better position to roll up their sleeves and become personally involved with the development of the player. One notable exception would be Cleveland, where the coach, Eric Mangini, has a defensive background but the guy calling the shots, Mike Holmgren, knows a thing or two about taking a raw talent and transforming him into a Hall of Famer.

Our best guess at this point is that a team that truly covets him will jump into the bottom of round one to get him, possibly before the team that currently employs Holmgren's greatest triumph gets a chance to give Tebow a year to learn from him directly.

They're talking about Brett Favre's Vikings there, and it's the Jets who pick just before them. I would love for the Jets to trade down this year, maybe collect a 3rd for their trouble.

... of the speculation at the bottom. Not that the idea of Tebow going late first/early second isn't interesting, I guess.

They're talking about Brett Favre's Vikings there, and it's the Jets who pick just before them. I would love for the Jets to trade down this year, maybe collect a 3rd for their trouble.

Would be nice to get additional picks in this draft. I'd be happy to trade 29 for 38 and a third. The Brownies currently have picks 71, 85, and 92. They may not want to hope he falls. Might work.

If the JETS also go ahead and find a taker for Leon then Rex will have enough chips to get weapons for Sanchez plus the type players he covets for his defense.

Why are people so obsessed with this guy? he sucks.

Im so tired of reading about the guy.

Of all the QB's I've seen him play the most. He doesn't suck. He's a great leader on and off the field. He has intangibles that make up a great QB. He has more desire then most guys on the field. He runs well. His throws are average and his throwing motion is bad. With the right coaching and system the guy is going to be a average to good starter. Or a very good back-up. he could very easily make the change to h back.

I've been saying this for a while now that he will be very important to us based on he will want to move up for him to jump in front of minny. Even it Favre comes back or Donovan gets trade to them.

Of all the QB's I've seen him play the most. He doesn't suck. He's a great leader on and off the field. He has intangibles that make up a great QB. He has more desire then most guys on the field. He runs well. His throws are average and his throwing motion is bad. With the right coaching and system the guy is going to be a average to good starter. Or a very good back-up. he could very easily make the change to h back.

I've been saying this for a while now that he will be very important to us based on he will want to move up for him to jump in front of minny. Even it Favre comes back or Donovan gets trade to them.

We're all entitled to our opinions.

I don't see the Jets trading out of round 1. Tannenbaum is ever-watchful of the contracts and dollars. A 2nd rounder can't sign more than a 4-year contract but a 1st rounder can sign for 5. So if you assume you get an identical-talent (good) player at 38 that you'd have at 29, you'll have to redo his contract a year earlier for big bucks. Effectively, a high 2nd rounder costs more dollar-wise than a very late first rounder.

Archived