Mafia Game Thread--The Thing

SMC

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No, you didn't. You're just giving us an inconclusive report. Did I see someone? Yes, could they be scum? I'm not sure. Please don't kill me though, I've got 3 votes on me!

This really isn't your style of play. I'll hear out what the rest of the town happens to say though.

If you read what he's saying again releasing that name is a BAD idea... the player didn't leave the room (they weren't converted) but someone visited (presumably a cop to investigate). That's how I'm reading it anyway....

No, you didn't. You're just giving us an inconclusive report. Did I see someone? Yes, could they be scum? I'm not sure. Please don't kill me though, I've got 3 votes on me!

This really isn't your style of play. I'll hear out what the rest of the town happens to say though.

I offered to divulge what i have if you guys agree to it. If I out it and the person doesn't acknowledge it then you have a 50-50 standoff. Not exactly bad at this point.

I offered to divulge what i have if you guys agree to it. If I out it and the person doesn't acknowledge it then you have a 50-50 standoff. Not exactly bad at this point.

Is there something I'm missing? If the player didn't leave the room I assume it means they weren't converted... if they weren't converted that means the person visiting is the cop...

The watcher role allows you to see who visits who if your watching a house. The other option is following a person and see where they go. Means nothing unless it matches a result from that night. I caught Jetsbabe once like that because I followed her and she ended up at the house of the person night killed that night. We lynched her the next day ad she was scum. I rule. In a game where theres alot of night movement it's important to match it to the night moves.

If you read what he's saying again releasing that name is a BAD idea... the player didn't leave the room (they weren't converted) but someone visited (presumably a cop to investigate). That's how I'm reading it anyway....

Agreed.

The watcher role allows you to see who visits who if your watching a house. The other option is following a person and see where they go. Means nothing unless it matches a result from that night. I caught Jetsbabe once like that because I followed her and she ended up at the house of the person night killed that night. We lynched her the next day ad she was scum. I rule. In a game where theres alot of night movement it's important to match it to the night moves.

Interestingly enough, there was no night movement last night. So if you guys are going to factor this into the game we have to consider the fact that the only night actions that may have taken place last night were our own moves. How does that serve any purpose? Because so far all I can tell was a day conversion. Can't find scum if you can't follow during the day.

Feels like we'll need to hash out possible game play elements more, or it's just a clever ploy.

Interestingly enough, there was no night movement last night. So if you guys are going to factor this into the game we have to consider the fact that the only night actions that may have taken place last night were our own moves. How does that serve any purpose? Because so far all I can tell was a day conversion. Can't find scum if you can't follow during the day.

Feels like we'll need to hash out possible game play elements more, or it's just a clever ploy.

I was thinking this but I'm guessing those whoever had night actions to submit were aware of their results and SMC just wanted to spiff up the game while letting us know there was a conversion during the day phase... similar to when JVOR had daytime Vig attacks in his game.

Peter Petrelli? That was awesome. What made that so awesome is he wasn;t in the game so no one could counter claim. Maybe this is the case with this, maybe not. He just did it so early, weird.

Is there something I'm missing? If the player didn't leave the room I assume it means they weren't converted... if they weren't converted that means the person visiting is the cop...

I don't think "leaving the room" = "conversion." Especially since the assimilations can happen during day and night.

I think "leaving the room" means you have night actions - roled townie, or scum basically.

The person not leaving the room at night, basically has no night actions... which would make them role-less townie.

My assumption is that the person visiting was the cop... makes sense that the Watcher and Cop would look @ the same person on night 1.

I was thinking this but I'm guessing those whoever had night actions to submit were aware of their results and SMC just wanted to spiff up the game while letting us know there was a conversion during the day phase... similar to when JVOR had daytime Vig attacks in his game.

So you're saying you think the still submitted a night action but SMC decided to post it during the day rather than at the start of the day?

I was not given any other information as to what a visit means or person not leaving the room means.

I'm just assuming that it's cop, it could've been mafia visiting as well.

Person not leaving the room means they don't have a night action i'm presuming.

In CTM's game, mafia had to choose which person to submitted the kill. Presumably you could've had tracked mafia that didn't do anything that particular night.

So you're saying you think the still submitted a night action but SMC decided to post it during the day rather than at the start of the day?

Yes. I'm thinking the converted person knew they were converted but SMC wanted to release that info to the town in a unique way. This is just a guess and either way not very important to where we are right now.

I was not given any other information as to what a visit means or person not leaving the room means.

I'm just assuming that it's cop, it could've been mafia visiting as well.

Person not leaving the room means they don't have a night action i'm presuming.

In CTM's game, mafia had to choose which person to submitted the kill. Presumably you could've had tracked mafia that didn't do anything that particular night.

So all you know is the player who didn't leave isn't rolled and the person who visited is. I don't see how releasing the name is beneficial as we can WIFOM ourselves on whether the visiting player is town or scum....

although if we lynch the visiting player and they are scum we know the person they visited is in all likelyhood scum as well.

Aren't there too many if's and but's at this point???

Ok, i'd say that's enough for now since I'm pretty sure BG would locked into me at this point anyways.

I've pretty much been a scumball for the entire game and have been very wary of those with a townie feel on me.

Since a deadline is actually approaching pretty soon i'm just going to reveal now so you don't bother wasting time voting me. I'm town and I have the ability to watch a room at night to see who visits and if the person left the room. Yesterday I got a person visiting at night.

I could reveal that person but my gut feeling is the person i saw visiting was the cop. if u want me to i can just do it to verify me.

My first impression is that this reveal stinks to high heaven, but I don't know what to do about it.

We're all operating under the impression that we began with a small Thing team. It's not likely that they'd have roles that would require the town to have a "watcher" type role. In fact, I think the opposite is true. With such a small scum team, SMC could've given them one power role such as this to give them some insight as to who in the town did have power roles.

If they started with just two guys, it would make sense that they'd have some additional power. This one could be it.

All that said, it's not like I feel comfortable jumping all over it and voting JVoR, either.

Crap.

I don't think "leaving the room" = "conversion." Especially since the assimilations can happen during day and night.

I think "leaving the room" means you have night actions - roled townie, or scum basically.

The person not leaving the room at night, basically has no night actions... which would make them role-less townie.

My assumption is that the person visiting was the cop... makes sense that the Watcher and Cop would look @ the same person on night 1.

Upon further thought this sounds right.

His premise is that he can watch someone "leave the room" which I assume means be converted. The questions I would have are:

- if he chose to watch a cult member than of course they wouldn't "leave the room" cause they're already cult.

- if there's a witch doc who cures someone would that show up as them "leaving the room"

- why the hell have the words "leave the room" been chosen?! Wouldn't a mod normally tie it in to something from the opening scene? I'll read again but I don't recall us being trapped in a room or anything of the sort.

these are just questions popping in my head in the last minute or two.. stream of consciousness posting.

If its the same as past games then in the case of the watcher it would simply be a person leaves when they are performing a night action that night (I'm not sure how this would work with day actions), and anyone who visits that person is performing a night action on that person. I would think scum trying to convert would be "leaving", but given it happened as a day action I'm really not so sure what to make of that.

Yes. I'm thinking the converted person knew they were converted but SMC wanted to release that info to the town in a unique way. This is just a guess and either way not very important to where we are right now.

Well I guess my point is if he's a night-time watcher, and they can only act during the day, then he can essentially only watch townies.

If its the same as past games then in the case of the watcher it would simply be a person leaves when they are performing a night action that night (I'm not sure how this would work with day actions), and anyone who visits that person is performing a night action on that person. I would think scum trying to convert would be "leaving", but given it happened as a day action I'm really not so sure what to make of that.

Yes I think I jumped the gun on the assumption the person who left was converted. I've backed off that and agree if they leave it just means they're rolled.

Well I guess my point is if he's a night-time watcher, and they can only act during the day, then he can essentially only watch townies.

gothcha... which kind of goes to SMC just wanting to add his own style to let the town know. Day time submissions of names defeats the purpose of having a watcher.

My first impression is that this reveal stinks to high heaven, but I don't know what to do about it.

We're all operating under the impression that we began with a small Thing team. It's not likely that they'd have roles that would require the town to have a "watcher" type role. In fact, I think the opposite is true. With such a small scum team, SMC could've given them one power role such as this to give them some insight as to who in the town did have power roles.

If they started with just two guys, it would make sense that they'd have some additional power. This one could be it.

All that said, it's not like I feel comfortable jumping all over it and voting JVoR, either.

Crap.

The only pro I see to releasing that name is we lynch then and they're scum... we can then assume who they've visited is now scum as well.

conversely if we lynch and that player is innocent we just knocked it down to 7-4 and JVOR is a dead man walking because he's sure to be the target in the next couple nights....

yuck to all of this.

gothcha... which kind of goes to SMC just wanting to add his own style to let the town know. Day time submissions of names defeats the purpose of having a watcher.

Right- which is why PERHAPS, it's just pure BS. I'm not going to go on a one man crusade on this but I think we need to consider every possible situation.

That's of course assuming that the scum team has no individual night actions (e.g., mafia roleblocker).

That's another thought. But if we had a roleblocker and they hit last night... my assumption would be we would have some stronger cases being made right now.

The only pro I see to releasing that name is we lynch then and they're scum... we can then assume who they've visited is now scum as well.

conversely if we lynch and that player is innocent we just knocked it down to 7-4 and JVOR is a dead man walking because he's sure to be the target in the next couple nights....

yuck to all of this.

Well, you're the one who faced off vs. us last game. A role claim this early with so little pressure is fishy. Right now I feel it's doing more harm than good. If we decide to move away from JVoR and to someone else I'm with the town, but I just dont' feel good about this at all.

"Guys, I REALLY wouldn't recommend you lynching me. I can't say anything now, but i'll do it L-1!"

Yeah, that's not a soft claim or anything, Vic.

Well I apologize for not being a total puss and claiming as quickly as you. Bravo.

LOL to both of these posts btw.

Right- which is why PERHAPS, it's just pure BS. I'm not going to go on a one man crusade on this but I think we need to consider every possible situation.

That's another thought. But if we had a roleblocker and they hit last night... my assumption would be we would have some stronger cases being made right now.

Well, you're the one who faced off vs. us last game. A role claim this early with so little pressure is fishy. Right now I feel it's doing more harm than good. If we decide to move away from JVoR and to someone else I'm with the town, but I just dont' feel good about this at all.

You keep saying with so little pressure. I was going to reveal at L-2. BG said himself that he'd vote me, and he has been for voting me the entire game. L-1 reveal is bad because of ninja hammers like last game.

I haven't discounted an elaborate rouse like this either... It would have JVOR and CTM's fingerprints all over it.

Why is killing JVOR a good idea today though.... I can see the argument in coming days as I think it's only a matter of time before he's targeted but if we lynch him today and we're wrong.... yikes.

You keep saying with so little pressure. I was going to reveal at L-2. BG said himself that he'd vote me, and he has been for voting me the entire game. L-1 reveal is bad because of ninja hammers like last game.

YOU'RE SO SCUM

Ninja's don't use hammers. Ninja shuriken kill would've been more believable.

Me neither. Would they be required to submit day actions the night before, and thus be "seen" by such a role at night? Or do they perform daytime actions in real time?

Me neither. Would they be required to submit day actions the night before, and thus be "seen" by such a role at night? Or do they perform daytime actions in real time?

This conversation can slow us down... may as well try asking...

SMC - are any players in the game allowed to submit day time actions?

I haven't discounted an elaborate rouse like this either... It would have JVOR and CTM's fingerprints all over it.

Why is killing JVOR a good idea today though.... I can see the argument in coming days as I think it's only a matter of time before he's targeted but if we lynch him today and we're wrong.... yikes.

Because I said so.

Honestly though- because the guy has been ridiculously inactive the entire game, drops a bomb on us and now has us at full attention. Like Dan X's avatar. SEE WHAT I DID THERE?

Even with him being a watcher, does it explain his odd behavior? I figure someone so pro-town would have developed stronger cases rather than lurk hardcore only to drop the reveal on us. The sequence of events seems really off to me. If we're wrong today on him we're still in the same spot if we lynch another townie. That's why for me it's important we come to an agreement on the possibilities of the day/night phases. How much value does his role really have?

It's just... odd to me. So we drop JVoR and who do you think we look at next?

Archived