Weekend Try Out Players?

I'm pretty interested in Satele, he's got good natural size to play ILB in the 3-4. The guy played ball in Hawaii, missed all of 2009, and he's still of interest? There's gotta be something to him. I have to think he would've been drafted if he managed to build on what he was doing his previous year in school - when he became a local star.

the linebacker from hawaii brashton satele also got a contract. 2 try out players made it to camp: Reamer and Satele.

Thanks Bitoni . BTW wasn't there an OL from Hawaii, named Satele , in the draft a few years ago ? ::GoJets:

Never mind, I just read it in a later post. Thanks again.

Satele signs free-agent contract with the Jets

Ex-UH linebacker performed well during mini-camp

By Stephen Tsai

HawaiiWarriorBeat.com Editor

Proving that football dreams do not come with expiration dates, former University of Hawai'i linebacker Brashton Satele yesterday signed a free-agent contract with the New York Jets.

It was a standard three-year contract for an undrafted free agent.

Satele, who missed the Warriors' 2009 season after undergoing shoulder surgery, did not receive a signing bonus — a factor that was not a factor.

"That does not matter," agent Kenny Zuckerman said. "This is an opportunity to make an NFL team."

Satele said: "I'm fortunate to be on any team. Two weeks ago, I wasn't on any team."

That was a reference to the NCAA's denial of Satele's appeal for a medical exemption that would have allowed him to play for UH as a sixth-year senior in 2010. Satele had argued he met the criteria of missing two seasons (2005 and 2009) because of injuries. In its ruling, the NCAA insisted that Satele did not have enough contemporaneous documentation — notes written by doctors in 2005.

The ruling enabled Satele to be available as a free agent to National Football League teams.

After the NFL draft last week, Satele reached agreement on a free-agent deal with the Oakland Raiders. Satele signed the free-agent contract. But two days before he was set to report to mini-camp, Satele learned the Raiders did not "execute the contract" after receiving a faxed copy of the signed document.

That left Satele free to accept a tryout with the Jets this past weekend.

Satele reportedly played well during the mini-camp, which involved double practices Friday and Saturday, and a single workout yesterday.

"I haven't played for a year, but I didn't lose a step," Satele said. "Coming into the situation, I knew I was ready for the physical part. The mental part, I was wondering if I still had it."

Apparently Satele showed enough to warrant a contract. He has been invited to return May 16 to the Offseason Team Activities, which, in essence, is another mini-camp.

The Jets, who attack out of a 3-4 alignment, are looking to add depth behind starting inside linebackers David Harris and Bart Scott.

"Those are two great guys to learn from," said Satele, who also will be used on special teams.

Meanwhile, former UH offensive tackle Aaron Kia said he does not expect to be signed by the San Francisco 49ers. Kia was invited to participate in the 49ers' mini-camp the past weekend. He competed at guard and center.

"It was good exposure," Kia said. "But as far as a job, the chances are slim."

Former Warrior defensive tackle Rocky Savaiigaea, who also participated in the 49ers' mini-camp, said he will learn today whether he receives a free-agent offer. Savaiigaea was the only rookie nose tackle invited to workouts.

Visit Tsai's blog at http://warriorbeat.honadvblogs.com.

I'M Going for 128's job

Jets' Ryan praises former Tide linebacker Reamer, signs him to free-agent deal

By Gentry Estes, Mobile Press-Register

May 03, 2010, 7:41AM

bcs-championship-alabama-fojpg-689be358a7acf96a_medium.jpgAP File PhotoFormer Alabama linebacker Cory Reamer signed a free-agent deal with the New York Jets on Sunday.TUSCALOOSA -- Cory Reamer grew on Alabama coach Nick Saban, whose initial assessment of the departed Crimson Tide linebacker was, "To be honest, I didn't know if he'd ever play here."

NFL teams, at first, seemed to concur. Reamer went undrafted last weekend and without an offer for a free-agent deal. He eventually accepted an invitation to try out during a mini-camp the following weekend with the New York Jets.

Given that opportunity, the Hoover native showed how he was able to star in high school and start the past two years for Alabama. Impressed by three practice days, the Jets didn't let him get away. They offered Reamer a free-agent contract after Sunday morning's practice, the final one of the mini-camp.

"I'm officially a Jet," Reamer said Sunday night. "This weekend has just been crazy, wondering whether you're going to make the team or not. You go out there and you've got all these guys that are free agents and draft picks and all these guys that are working out too that you're competing against for a spot. So to come out of it with a deal was pretty exciting."

Sunday's free-agent offer wasn't too surprising, since Reamer's name generated buzz during the first two days of the Jets' mini-camp.

Though Rex Ryan had to be prompted as to Reamer's actual name, the Jets' head coach mentioned him without provocation during press conferences Friday and Saturday, saying, "The guy that's really standing out to me is the kid from Alabama."

Ryan, who admitted he has a soft spot for the underdog player, said Reamer impressed with his football savvy and joked that he could fill in for the team's defensive coordinator.

"Maybe I know that the sacrifices that some of these guys have to make are maybe greater than some of other ones that have had it made," Ryan said. "But you see it in here, like 'This guy is not going to fail.' Like the kid from Alabama, he wants to stay. That's obvious. He's here competing and he wants to stay. Every year, there's a few guys that are like that."

Reamer said the defensive style for the Jets is "very similar" to what he experienced at Alabama, which made it easy to pick up the system.

"It was a pretty easy pick-up for me," Reamer said. "I had great preparation for this style, the practice pace and everything. I was excited to get out there every day. A lot of these guys were complaining about the heat, and I was like, 'You guys have no idea what heat is like.' It was a different climate for a lot of those guys, but it was an improvement for me.

"Just going up there with one goal and keeping that in mind the entire time, it really kept me focused to try to go out there and come home with a deal."

After receiving his Masters from UA this week in Sports Management, Reamer is due back to the Jets later this month.

He now has a spot reserved at training camp in August, and as friends have already reminded Reamer, the Jets will be featured this season on HBO's "Hard Knocks," a popular show that chronicles one NFL team each year through the rigors of the preseason.

"It really was a good time," Reamer said. "I enjoyed it, and I'm looking forward to going back and doing it all over again."

I'm pretty interested in Satele, he's got good natural size to play ILB in the 3-4. The guy played ball in Hawaii, missed all of 2009, and he's still of interest? There's gotta be something to him. I have to think he would've been drafted if he managed to build on what he was doing his previous year in school - when he became a local star.

There was a running back, James Stark from U of Buffalo , who missed all of 2009 yet was drafted. The Packers grabbed him in the 6th round. Very unusual. You'd think you'd just fall off the radar.

There was a running back, James Stark from U of Buffalo , who missed all of 2009 yet was drafted. The Packers grabbed him in the 6th round. Very unusual. You'd think you'd just fall off the radar.

Jermaine Gresham missed all of 2009 as well...he was an elite prospect before the injury though. Starks had a good shot to get into that second, third round conversation so I don't think anybody was shocked by it, he's a solid all around back and could surprise if he's healthy.

hell yeah it's hot and humid in alabama. it's even more so in central florida. you just walk outside, stand still, and sweat.

Yeah, when Auburn DE Quentin Groves went to JAX training camp he said he had to shave his dreadlocks off because JAX was too hot for dreads.

Archived