5 Best players in the league by position.

SenorGato

i'll rank the 2 most important positions

QB:

P. Manning

Brees

Brady

Favre

E. Manning (I could easily see the argument for Big Ben but he's one more rape away from being kicked out of the NFL)

Seriously? Eli? Any chance you can expound this choice? Last season was his best statistically by far and wasn't near Rodgers, Schaub Rivers or Romo... all had better ratings, yards, completion %'s, TD to Int ratios .. list goes on and on for pretty much any meaningful measurable statistic.

Seriously? Eli? Any chance you can expound this choice? Last season was his best statistically by far and wasn't near Rodgers, Schaub Rivers or Romo... all had better ratings, yards, completion %'s, TD to Int ratios .. list goes on and on for pretty much any meaningful measurable statistic.

Blackout has a split allegiance with the Jets & Giants. That's all you really need to know.

Davis is next. He's definitely getting into the top tier of TEs. He's one of the best run blockers in the league too.

Agreed. VD is a freakin monster, in the pass game and the run game also. If he had a good QB, he'd be damn near unstoppable.

Maybe I am just saying this cause I live near the Bay and 49ers are my second team..

But no love for Vernon Davis?

I wanted Vernon over D'Brick. The man's the complete package.

I agree QB is the most important position, but WR is closer to the bottom than to the top when it comes to importance. OL, DL, CB, LB, all more important IMO.

It's a passing league. You recognize that QB's the most important position in the game, but his primary targets don't crack the top five? But the CB position, who's primary job is to shut down WR's, is?

As a fish fan, you should recognize the importance of the position. Miami's WR's have sucked for a while, and now they've spent extra-heavy on a possession receiver of questionable character. Your team obviously places a premium on the position.

If you could only have a limited number of truly elite players, where would you rather have one? At WR? Or at guard, center, or inside LB? I think it's a no brainer that you take the elite WR over those positions, and a few others, too.

It's a passing league. You recognize that QB's the most important position in the game, but his primary targets don't crack the top five? But the CB position, who's primary job is to shut down WR's, is?

As a fish fan, you should recognize the importance of the position. Miami's WR's have sucked for a while, and now they've spent extra-heavy on a possession receiver of questionable character. Your team obviously places a premium on the position.

If you could only have a limited number of truly elite players, where would you rather have one? At WR? Or at guard, center, or inside LB? I think it's a no brainer that you take the elite WR over those positions, and a few others, too.

Id take Jake Long, Darelle Revis, Patrick Willis, Demacus Ware, or Dwight Freeney over Brandon Marshall any day of the week. And I'd rather have the best OL, DL, LBs or CBs in the league than the best WRs in the league. IMO you can get by w/ average WRs, but if your OL cant block, your DBs cant cover, your DL cant fill gaps/get pressure, your LBs cant tackle etc, youre pretty much going to get your hat handed to you when you face the stiffer competition.

Id take Jake Long, Darelle Revis, Patrick Willis, Demacus Ware, or Dwight Freeney over Brandon Marshall any day of the week. And I'd rather have the best OL, DL, LBs or CBs in the league than the best WRs in the league. IMO you can get by w/ average WRs, but if your OL cant block, your DBs cant cover, your DL cant fill gaps/get pressure, your LBs cant tackle etc, youre pretty much going to get your hat handed to you when you face the stiffer competition.

Yeah, but Brandon Marshall's severely overrated. ;)

CB is a critical spot - because they shut down WR's! That's why Revis is so critical, he takes elite WR's completely out of football games. You'll see it twice this year. Marshall's the kind of guy who does nothing against Revis.

But you'd take an elite guard over an elite WR? Jets have the best center in football right now, but I'd trade him straight up for Calvin Johnson without ever looking back. I'd rather have a JAG at the 3-4 DE position than at the WR position.

Patrick Willis is a special player. So's a guy like Troy Polamalu, but that doesn't make me rate the safety position as any more important. I definitely think my team's going to do better with an elite WR and an average MLB, than the other way around. The game is designed for teams to throw the football, and the teams that do it best are usually the ones who are still around at the end of the season. This year's Colts-Saints Super Bowl was not the exception, it's the rule.

It's very macho to say defense wins championships, but the reality is that offenses win championships.

does any1 really believe Aso ISNT worth that money, based on his play on the field?

a lock down shut down CB flat out doesn't exist. there are exactly 2 guys who can do it in the league.

Aso makes 15 a year. Asante Samuel and Dunta Robinson make 9. Can any1 rationally argue Revis is worth 10 or 11? He's 5 years younger than ASO and arguably better!

Yeah, but Brandon Marshall's severely overrated. ;)

CB is a critical spot - because they shut down WR's! That's why Revis is so critical, he takes elite WR's completely out of football games. You'll see it twice this year. Marshall's the kind of guy who does nothing against Revis.

But you'd take an elite guard over an elite WR? Jets have the best center in football right now, but I'd trade him straight up for Calvin Johnson without ever looking back. I'd rather have a JAG at the 3-4 DE position than at the WR position.

Patrick Willis is a special player. So's a guy like Troy Polamalu, but that doesn't make me rate the safety position as any more important. I definitely think my team's going to do better with an elite WR and an average MLB, than the other way around. The game is designed for teams to throw the football, and the teams that do it best are usually the ones who are still around at the end of the season. This year's Colts-Saints Super Bowl was not the exception, it's the rule.

It's very macho to say defense wins championships, but the reality is that offenses win championships.

Yeah, so Revis should have no problem shutting him down ;).

Not being arguementative, I just think an elite CB, LT, OLB, or DE increases your chances of winning games more so than an elite WR. And I think you fix those positions before you go out and get a stud WR.

I agree on the Mangold-Megatron comparison talent wise, but think of it this way: I can have Mangold at his salary and still go out and get a decent WR for alot less than Im going to have to pay Calvin Johnson.

I disagree on the Saints-Colts though. Brees and Manning are not the rule, theyre the exception. I dont care how many good WRs you have, if you dont have a good QB and a good OL, its not going to matter. Brees and Manning are special players who have the phyical and mental ability to make use of the talented WRs and TEs around them, and the have an OL to protect them in the process. Put a bad QB or bad OL on those teams and the WRs wont do much for you. Passing is en vogue right now, but defense still wins championships.

Yeah, so Revis should have no problem shutting him down ;).

That is correct, sir. Marshall will not gain 100 yards total in two games this year lined up against Revis. He'll be a complete non-factor against the Jets.

Not being arguementative, I just think an elite CB, LT, OLB, or DE increases your chances of winning games more so than an elite WR. And I think you fix those positions before you go out and get a stud WR.

You originally said OL and LB. I understand the pass rusher argument, and the guy who blocks the pass rusher argument, but guards, centers, 3-4 DE's? No.

Both our teams play the 3-4. I'm more than happy to put a warm body like Vernon Gholston's at the DE position and let him occupy blockers. Since Bruce Smith retired, there's no such thing as a dominating 3-4 DE anymore.

I agree on the Mangold-Megatron comparison talent wise, but think of it this way: I can have Mangold at his salary and still go out and get a decent WR for alot less than Im going to have to pay Calvin Johnson.

If you want to talk bang for your buck, then I'll take the elite TE over many positions in the NFL. They block, they catch, they score TD's, and they cost a lot less than other positions. The fact that top WR's command so much money is evidence of their importance on the field.

I disagree on the Saints-Colts though. Brees and Manning are not the rule, theyre the exception. I dont care how many good WRs you have, if you dont have a good QB and a good OL, its not going to matter. Brees and Manning are special players who have the phyical and mental ability to make use of the talented WRs and TEs around them, and the have an OL to protect them in the process. Put a bad QB or bad OL on those teams and the WRs wont do much for you.

QB is the key, no one's denying that. No one's denying that it's a team game, either. The QB has to have people to throw to. Look up the OL's on the Colts and Saints. The starting line-ups for both teams were primarily second day picks. That's not where those teams were built.

Passing is en vogue right now, but defense still wins championships.

Ha! Define "right now." Passing's been in vogue in professional football since before Daryle Lamonica starting chucking it downfield in the 60's. Top passing games have been getting into the Super Bowl since it's inception, and the rule changes every year in some way, shape, or form, are always designed to make it even easier for teams to throw the football. That genies long out of the bottle, and is never going back in.

My first team all NFL:

QB - Manning - Marino + better + a ring. Possibly rings.

RB - Johnson - I'll dig it after the 2,000 yard season and no fumble issue.

FB - Richardson - There's alot of guys who could go here.

TE - Gates

OT - Ferguson - His next 5-7 years should be really, really good. Long term he's got HOF potential, as most of these guys do.

LG - Mankins - Beast just entering his prime.

C - Mangold

RG - Evans

OT - Thomas

WR - Andre Johnson

WR - Larry Fitzgerald

4-3

DE - Jared Allen

DT - Kevin Williams

DT - Pat Williams

DE - Julius Peppers

OLB - Greenway

MLB - Beason

OLB - Cushing

3-4

DE - Seymour

NT - Wilfork

DE - Ngata

OLB - Ware

ILB - Willis

ILB - Dansby

OLB - Harrison

CB - Revis

CB - Aso

S - Wilson

S - Reed

2nd team

QB - Brees

RB - CJ

FB - Polite

TE - Witten

OT - Roos

LG - Hutchinson

C - Mack?

RG - Snee

OT - Long

WR - CJ

WR - Moss

4-3

DE - Freeney

DT - Bunkley

DT - Mebane

DE - Williams

OLB - Howard

MLB - Ryans

OLB - Davis

3-4

DE - Dockett

NT - Hampton

DE - Smith

OLB - Suggs

ILB - Scott

ILB - Harris

OLB - Pace

CB - Samuels

CB - Woodson

S - Dawkins

S - Rolle

Troy P was hurt last year. Otherwise he's first team with Reed. Wilson then goes 2nd team with Dawkins.

Archived