Ticks...

jetophile

...'tis the Season. I hate those sons a b itches. Last week I kept feeling an itch on my back. For days. So I say to the old man check it out, full body search, scalp, back, behind the knees, behind the ears, where they love to go.

Yeah, a fully engorged nuisance on my shoulder blade. Luckily, a brown dog tick, but they're still disgusting. The head broke off (ugh), so the old man had to gouge a hole in my skin with a needle to break it up. Doused it with rubbing alcohol. I didn't get a bulls-eye on top of it, so I know I'm good on that one.

So Friday I went hiking (although hiking is essentially everyday) and felt stuff crawling hours later. That awful sensation, that stuff is crawling on you. I take off my boots and there's four of those fukkers under my sock where I lace up. One was happily attached, but he was new, so I got him with my fingers. Try to snuff a tick with your fingers after pulling them out, nearly impossible. You've got to flush them down the toilet or slam them with a hammer.

I took a drinking glass to the main offender and pressed with all of my might on the counter until I heard a satisfying crunch. B astard. I've got a really ill dog right about now, and this afternoon flicking the channels aimlessly and in an awful mood, I feel that hated sensation - AGAIN! I lift up my shirt, and one is having lunch on my stomach. GAH! Freaked out now, I rip off my pants and there's another one sticking out in the crease of my thigh where the bone meets the hip. C'mon.

Goddamn it.

Holy crap, I've got a hundred tick stories. None of them good. I've been lunch a few times and my poor old dog....I pull a tick off him every week or so. DEET. My friend. DEET. and not that wimpy family-friendly dose of 6%. You gotta do 30% or better. And burn them with a lighter when you get them. Not because its more effective. Do it to send a message. Burn them alive. Like a rude census taker.

well.. this is just another reason why being a couch potato with indoor cars watching the game show network is better then that lame fresh air and exercise... no ticks!

yeah me! :P

When I was a kid, we had a house on an island in the Great South Bay. It's official name is Sexton Island, but the residents called it Tick Island. When we'd get back to the main land (as we Long Islanders refer to Long Island), the first job was a full body inspection on the way to the shower. I've had countless ticks on me over the years.

My dad had Lyme Disease. Serious sh!t. He was strong and healthy, and all of a sudden thought he got old. Once he was diagnosed, he was treated and got better - but he was never really the same after that.

For....days?
Three, actually, but it was in a spot I couldn't access. I chalked it up to a mosquito bite at first. Anyway, even if I'd seen it with a mirror, I couldn't have yanked it myself given where it was.

My dog, Bela, sleeps on my bed, but none were from him. He wears a tick collar called TickArrest (a/k/a Preventic). I buy it online from an Australian website, good price. Those collars are great. It affects the nervous system of the ticks and makes them spaz, so they detach, usually before Lyme can be transmitted.

Anyway, I get freaked out and start to get itchy all over if I think about it too long.

Three, actually, but it was in a spot I couldn't access. I chalked it up to a mosquito bite at first. Anyway, even if I'd seen it with a mirror, I couldn't have yanked it myself given where it was.

My dog, Bela, sleeps on my bed, but none were from him. He wears a tick collar called TickArrest (a/k/a Preventic). I buy it online from an Australian website, good price. Those collars are great. It affects the nervous system of the ticks and makes them spaz, so they detach, usually before Lyme can be transmitted.

Anyway, I get freaked out and start to get itchy all over if I think about it too long.

too bad they dont make a human version. OY!

when my daughter was little.. it became an end of the day ritual to check for ticks.. and when i use to do the 8th grade camping trip.. there were many ticks.. it wasnt pretty.

Archived