Revis to meet with Rex per Cimini

NIGHT STALKER

Updated: June 15, 2010, 5:05 PM ETJets' Revis: 'I'll talk to Rex By Rich Cimini

ESPNNewYork.com

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Twenty-four hours after Darrelle Revis' mini-protest became major news, Rex Ryan still hadn't talked to his star cornerback to find out what exactly happened Monday morning on the New York Jets' practice field. So much for a hurry-up attack.

Ryan and Revis were planning to meet late Tuesday to discuss the matter. If Ryan receives the same version that made headlines, Revis admitting he sat out a few plays to let everyone know he's upset with stalled contract negotiations, the coach won't be happy.

"It's so not him," Ryan said. "It's uncharacteristic of him to get out of anything. I have to hear it from the horse's mouth. I told what he told [reporters], but I'm sure there's an explanation. You know what, it might be just this is a thing he wanted to do and that's fine. But he knows that's not right."

Welcome to another day in the Revis soap opera.

Expressing a more conciliatory tone than Monday, Revis said he was looking forward to speaking with his coach to prevent the situation from deteriorating any further. The All-Pro cornerback said he wants to be "a Jet forever," and that he hasn't considered the possibility of requesting a trade, a la Logan Mankins of the New England Patriots.

"This is the beginning of stuff turning bad," Revis said after a minicamp practice. "I'll talk to Rex [Tuesday] and we'll try to see eye to eye and try to do it the right way. [Monday] was a little frustration going back and forth, but we want to keep things positive."

On Monday, Day 1 of a mandatory minicamp, Revis said sat out a few plays to make a statement about his contract situation. Initially, he told reporters that a pulled hamstring and lightheadedness were the reasons he removed himself, later acknowledging it was contract-related. Thing is, Ryan didn't get that version until he heard it from reporters he thought it was injury-related -- putting him in an uncomfortable position.

After a day to consider his remarks, which fueled an Internet buzz and a huge outcry on radio call-in shows, Revis said he didn't regret anything he said. He conceded the hamstring alibis was a tall tale, but he claimed he was, in fact, lightheaded, saying he hadn't eaten before practice. But he didn't recant the part about his protest being mostly contract-motivated.

"I'm not going to take it back because that's how I felt," he said. "I'm releasing some of the frustration from the course of a couple of months because of the things they promised me ... This is not me. I'm going to take a step back and re-evaluate things in my own personal life."

Revis' approach may have softened ever so slightly, but he wasn't in a forgive-and-forget mode. Not at all. He defended his unconventional actions from Monday, telling ESPNNewYork.com he sat out a few plays "to let [the organization] know that, 'You know, don't promise things that you can't promise.' That's hurtful when things don't happen. You're waiting on someone's word for something to get done, and it's frustrating."

Revis said it wasn't his intention to make a statement to Ryan, or to make Ryan look bad.

"He got the message, but the message is not to Rex," said Revis, who participated fully Tuesday in both practices. "Rex wants to get it done the right way. It's not him, it's upstairs."

Revis reiterated that GM Mike Tannenbaum promised, as recently as April, that the organization wanted to make him the highest-paid cornerback in the NFL. He said Ryan was in that same meeting and expressed the same sentiment.

The Oakland Raiders' Nnamdi Asomugha is the highest-paid cornerback, averaging $15.1 million per year -- including $16.2 million this season. Revis, due to make $1 million this season, wants to be in the $16 million neighborhood -- a Peyton and Eli Manning-esque neighborhood.

The Jets have said they're willing to renegotiate Revis' current contract, which has three years remaining, but they're believed to be offering around $10 million a year. They regard the Asomugha deal as an aberration.

"Negotiations get kind of crazy sometimes, but I'm here and I'm practicing," Revis said. "There's no hatred or anything like that. I'm just trying to take it one day at a time and let things be what they be."

Rich Cimini covers the Jets for ESPNNewYork.com. Follow him on Twitter. Information from ESPN.com's Tim Graham and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

I don't care what anyone says, sitting out plays like that shows zero class. I'm convinced this whole fiasco is going to change Rex, no more building up the players into superstars. Right now his wife and friends are prolly giving him the "no good deed goes unpunished" lecture.

I don't care what anyone says, sitting out plays like that shows zero class. I'm convinced this whole fiasco is going to change Rex, no more building up the players into superstars. Right now his wife and friends are prolly giving him the "no good deed goes unpunished" lecture.

Shows you all you need to know about him right there.

While I don't necessarily agree that sitting out OTAs or minicamp's result in zero class. I do believe that the way Revis did it shows zero class and is basically a slap to Rex Ryan's face, after all the praise and hype he's given him he repays him by throwing him under the bus. Either hold out or don't. Don't come to practice, play half-ass then fake an injury and hobble around the sideline while players jokingly come up and mess with your leg.

It's an embarrassment to the Jets organization in a pivotal year for the franchise. Revis sees this year as nothing more than an opportunity for a huge payday and is willing to disrespect his head coach and fellow teammates by attending practice with a metaphorical picketing sign by faking an injury.

I agree the man deserves to get his payday, but do it the right way. Either hold out and shut up. Or come to practice and shut up. Either way, SHUT UP and play football. Let the agents do what they get paid to do and you do what you get paid to do.

I agree with what you're saying. On the flip side, It shows zero class to tell a player that you're going to make them the highest paid at the position, then when the player soughts after that then you low ball him with contracts with no gauranteed money as well as not making him the highest paid at the position.

Whats worse is when the media ask you dont comment on it. You stay silent.

I guess thats Revis fault too.

On the flip side, It shows zero class to tell a player that you're going to make them the highest paid at the position, then when the player soughts after that then you low ball him with contracts with no gauranteed money as well as not making him the highest paid at the position.

The Jets had ZERO obligation to be proactive about Revis's new deal, especially with the CBA uncertainty. I don't think either the Jets or Revis are classless on this one. This is how negotiations work in the NFL, there's no hint from the things that are being reported that the Jets are going to let Revis go into the 2010 season without a new contract.

I agree with what you're saying. On the flip side, It shows zero class to tell a player that you're going to make them the highest paid at the position, then when the player soughts after that then you low ball him with contracts with no gauranteed money as well as not making him the highest paid at the position.

2 wrongs don't make a right Bronx. If in fact the Jets said all that and failed to pull the trigger then they were in the wrong.

Revis could have used that against them, instead he chose to act even worse. Not a good way to play your cards in my book.

2 wrongs don't make a right Bronx. If in fact the Jets said all that and failed to pull the trigger then they were in the wrong.

Revis could have used that against them, instead he chose to act even worse. Not a good way to play your cards in my book.

I dont think its an "acting worse" situation when you know like I know that the very same organization that will tell you one thing and do another also hold all the cards in the deck when it comes to negotiation anyway, unless you're on some Ricky Williams shyte and money isnt that important to you.

Lets stop acting like Revis is looting the bank here. Lets also stop acting like organizations telling a player something just to get them to do something without digging in their banks to pay them doesnt happen on the reg either Brooklyn. They sold Revis a dream.

They sold Revis a dream.

Hardly. The only person I recall saying that Revis deserved to get paid more than the insanely well-paid Nnamdi Asomugha was Revis himself. The Jets' initial proposal (4 yrs/$13.75M) was not exactly chump change (that number is over $4 million more than the 3rd highest-paid CB), and the team has made a 2nd offer since then.

The Jets had ZERO obligation to be proactive about Revis's new deal, especially with the CBA uncertainty. I don't think either the Jets or Revis are classless on this one. This is how negotiations work in the NFL, there's no hint from the things that are being reported that the Jets are going to let Revis go into the 2010 season without a new contract.

I agree with your statement 100%. So with that you must understand why I dont like how the majority is making it seem like Revis is so unfair and he's not a team player or he's greedy and everything else that you see...yet not even half the effort that is used to criticize a player that was lied to in the first place is being used to see why he may be taking the road he's taking....and mind you, its not such an ugly road because he's still participating and at the end of the day thats whats important.

I dont think its an "acting worse" situation when you know like I know that the very same organization that will tell you one thing and do another also hold all the cards in the deck when it comes to negotiation anyway, unless you're on some Ricky Williams shyte and money isnt that important to you.

Lets stop acting like Revis is looting the bank here. Lets also stop acting like organizations telling a player something just to get them to do something without digging in their banks to pay them doesnt happen on the reg either Brooklyn. They sold Revis a dream.

If they did, they're still going to pay him large, so no big foul there in my opinion.

In any case it's no reason for Revis to pull a fake injury sit out and then say it was done in protest.

Come on that's a terrible way to act.

Look if you show up - play, if you get hurt - sit, if you want to hold out - hold out, but keep it real man!

Read my previous post. How exactly was Revis lied to?

I read it. And to answer, Revis publicly stated that the Jets organization stated that they were going to make him the highest paid player at his position. The media questioned the front office about it and they didnt answer the question.

I read it. And to answer, Revis publicly stated that the Jets organization stated that they were going to make him the highest paid player at his position. The media questioned the front office about it and they didnt answer the question.
No proof of anything there Villain.

There's zero evidence the Jets said they wanted to make him the highest-paid CB. Revis is the only one who said it, and there's no way the Jets would make him a promise like that before negotiations even began.

Like we've said ad nauseum, the Jets hold all the cards and have to go into these negotiations with the assumption that the cap is going to decrease by 18 % like the owners want.

I'm not saying Revis should just be grateful the Jets initiated the contract talks, he should certainly go ahead and get every last red cent he can. Point is, I don't think there's a "bad guy" in all of this.

The Jets are doing their thing, and Revis is doing his. It's June. It'll get sorted out well before the season starts, all will be forgotten, and that's all that really matters.

There's zero evidence the Jets said they wanted to make him the highest-paid CB. Revis is the only one who said it, and there's no way the Jets would make him a promise like that before negotiations even began.

Like we've said ad nauseum, the Jets hold all the cards and have to go into these negotiations with the assumption that the cap is going to decrease by 18 % like the owners want.

I'm not saying Revis should just be grateful the Jets initiated the contract talks, he should certainly go ahead and get every last red cent he can. Point is, I don't think there's a "bad guy" in all of this.

The Jets are doing their thing, and Revis is doing his. It's June. It'll get sorted out well before the season starts, all will be forgotten, and that's all that really matters.

I dont understand the "evidence" aspect of what you said, however, if Revis said it publicly and the front office basically gave no comment on it then I would say that its more plausible than anything. To say that there's no evidence doesnt mean that it didnt happen. And with the Jets not stating that they didnt say it surely doesnt help either.

My point in this whole thing is that the off season is "business season", so need to stop with the bias.

No proof of anything there Villain.

I guess if we want to play CSI with it then true. The Jets front office didnt come forth and say that the comment wasnt true so im not going to sit here and say that Revis just lied to lie. The statement stands until the Jets say that it wasnt true.

I guess if we want to play CSI with it then true. The Jets front office didnt come forth and say that the comment wasnt true so im not going to sit here and say that Revis just lied to lie. The statement stands until the Jets say that it wasnt true.
What good would calling Revis a liar do?

Did you ever think that maybe Revis' agent told him they said that?

Let's see would that be in his best interest?

Regardless of what or was not said, none of it should have made Revis do what he did on the 1st day of OTA's.

I'm sorry but that was just plain old bullsh*t, and he was dead wrong for doing it no matter what's going on in his negotiations.

If you show up, be real! If you want to sit out, then sit out! Grow a pair of balls either way!

What good would calling Revis a liar do?

Did you ever think that maybe Revis' agent told him they said that?

Let's see would that be in his best interest?

Regardless of what or was not said, none of it should have made Revis do what he did on the 1st day of OTA's.

I'm sorry but that was just plain old bullsh*t, and he was dead wrong for doing it no matter what's going on in his negotiations.

If you show up, be real! If you want to sit out, then sit out! Grow a pair of balls either way!

To each his own bro, but to have questions like the one's stated above doesnt mean anything. Because if he's agent didnt tell him to say that and if it is true then maybe we could get an clearer picture of why he did what he did at OTA's.

I'll say it again brooklyn. What he did was wack. but the difference here is that im criticizing both sides yet everyone else just wants to blame revis or present questions (like what you did) to take away the part that the organization could have played in it. THATS NOT FAIR.

This is typical of the NFL and this is why I tend not to like the bull**** that goes on. Revis is getting more heat off of this than Bellicheat did for cheating teams out of honest superbowl games. Im stretching it just alittle but you get what im saying. Like I said, the organization always holds all the cards, excuses is always made for them and players are always the greedy ones, yet they're always the ones with the medical bills at the end of their career. Right.....

To each his own bro, but to have questions like the one's stated above doesnt mean anything. Because if he's agent didnt tell him to say that and if it is true then maybe we could get an clearer picture of why he did what he did at OTA's.

I'll say it again brooklyn. What he did was wack. but the difference here is that im criticizing both sides yet everyone else just wants to blame revis or present questions (like what you did) to take away the part that the organization could have played in it. THATS NOT FAIR.

This is typical of the NFL and this is why I tend not to like the bull**** that goes on. Revis is getting more heat off of this than Bellicheat did for cheating teams out of honest superbowl games. Im stretching it just alittle but you get what im saying. Like I said, the organization always holds all the cards, excuses is always made for them and players are always the greedy ones, yet they're always the ones with the medical bills at the end of their career. Right.....

First of all he's not getting more crap than I gave Bellicheat from me.

Perhaps you missed this, but I'm saying even if the Jets did all what you and Revis say they did, it's still no excuse for Revis' actions.

Look I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt and saying for arguments sake, let's say the Jets are 100% guilty as charged. I still cut no slack on Revis for acting a fool.

I'm not happy about what the Jets may have done here, but I really don't have enough to go on to slam them for it for sure.

I think it was good of them to make him a better offer than he has now, and not make him play out the remaining 3 years of his rookie deal.

Now on the other hand Revis gave me all the proof I need to criticize him, by pulling that stunt the other day.

I'm confident they will get a fair deal worked out and all this will blow over and I do see your points here, and I agree with them, but I just don't see how any of them could justify playing games like Revis was doing.

They promised they'd address his contract to get it redone this offseason. Beyond that - actually getting it done - requires acceptance on the part of Revis, which no one can promise.

I never read anywhere that the Jets promised to make him the highest paid at the position, since the Jets clearly believe - correctly in my opinion - that the Aso contract is not based in reality. There is NO WAY that the Jets promised Revis, "Since Al Davis gave out an insane contract so will we." That is something new that Revis has now added to his "the Jets promised me" comments, that he didn't say before he was so horribly insulted by the Jets' 8-figure per season offer.

In other words, judging from the way Revis's comments have changed from then to now, it sounds like he's lying.

And staying silent is better than telling your coach one thing and telling the media the exact opposite, so said coach has to learn the truth during a press conference.

Archived