Only 2,250 PSL's yet to be sold. No chance of a Black out

flgreen

Your math is wrong.

The equation is ticket + psl + preseason.

Just saying.

for the same price as a 5k PSL you can get three 58'' 1080p plasmas: one for living room, one for kitchen and one for crapper and you'll never miss a second of any game even when you take a leak or get a beer.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
for the same price as a 5k PSL you can get three 58'' 1080p plasmas: one for living room, one for kitchen and one for crapper and you'll never miss a second of any game even when you take a leak or get a beer.

Worst argument ever.

Can someone clarify what a PSL is?

It`s essentially a season ticket to watch the Jets in any given seat?

A PSL is a Personal Seat License that gives holders the right to buy season tickets for certain seats in the stadium and gives them ownership over their seats for the life of the stadium. This means that Jets fans will be able to make their mark at New Meadowlands Stadium forever, returning to their same seats, passing them down to family members and keeping their football traditions alive.

And if you can get the same life spam out of that so called plasma tv that you are referring to, that you will get out of the New Meadowlands Stadium please let me know your secret. Remember we are in 2010 not the 1960's. Please try again and think a little bit harder next time. The plasma tv vs Psl debate died with HD-dvd players.

:rim:

Just a simple answer... I know math... I did the math... the math works in my favor even with 5% increases annually.

What if they hit you with 15% or 20% or 25% increase? There is nothing contractual preventing them. They won't with this current economy. But it is safe to assume that over the next 20-30 years there will be several booms and several periods economic slow downs. If Jet success is coupled with economic growth you could be looking at much more than a 5% increase in ticket prices.

Actually if the Jets are an average team. Meaning some good years in which they make the playoffs and win some playoff games and some years where they suck and once every 32 years win the SB, but overall they have a .500 avg then I would anticipate the ticket prices outstripping inflation buy about 2-5%. E.g. if inflation is 7% you would have a 9-12% price increase.

If the Jets have a great run. Such as Patriots recently. Or Cowboys in the 90s. Or 49rs in the 80s you can expect dramatic ticket price increase.

The only way you will see ticket prices rise at only 5% a year is if the Jets are god-awful. As in Lions awful.

If the market/secondary market is robust the Jets have no reason to keep ticket prices low. If the Jets can sell the tickets, they don't care if you give up your PSL tickets. The can sell them as regular season tickets, single game tickets or even find a new sucker to buy a PSL.

The real problem with the Jets PSLs as being a horrible purchase is not as many have griped that you don't get first crack to buy tickets if Eddie Money plays at the stadium, it is that there isn't a contractual cap on ticket price increases.

The lowest priced ticket is marked up 80% im not trying to defend ecurb here cause i dont agree with psl's but you are trying to be a douche for the sake of being a douche on a jets board nice try douche.

You can get tickets for the Texan's game for $97. As the least expensive ticket face value is $95, that is only a $2 mark up.

You cannot buy JETS tickets through ticketmaster at face value, if you can please prove me wrong and I will be the happiest man alive.

This year or in years past? In years past you could always get face value tickets the weekend of the game, usually end zone seats, sometimes better. Last year you could buy them all over the stadium.

As for how expensive the tickets go for during the year I guess we will have to wait and see. The StubHub prices are ridiculous as are most of the seats on Ebay, but none of them are really being purchased at those markups. Maybe they will maybe they wont. A few weeks ago there was a season ticket package for 2 seats in 137 that was a real auction bid. Thats probably a better assessment of the market value. The final sales price was 3590 for two or 179.50 a game, which I'm guessing is way lower than the yearly PSL fee plus ticket price the guy paid for the seats. Two other sets I looked at were a pair of tickets to the Texans game in 142 which went for 162.5 per seat and included a parking pass and 2 in 217 for the Giants preseason game which sold for 127.5 per seat and included parking. So in true auction style it looks like the market is not far above face value and far below it for the preseason. Id imagine the secondary market will go lower as the season nears and then rise if the team is good, especially if the Jets get a home game in the playoffs.

A PSL is a Personal Seat License that gives holders the right to buy season tickets for certain seats in the stadium and gives them ownership over their seats for the life of the stadium. This means that Jets fans will be able to make their mark at New Meadowlands Stadium forever, returning to their same seats, passing them down to family members and keeping their football traditions alive.

Thank you, that was exactly what I thought it was but I wasn`t sure sports would ever be that greedy.

The building I work in has Elevators with those hip/trendy little TV screens in them. Half the screen is news and weather, the other half is commercials. I haven't seen anything but the Jets PSL commercial run for the last 5 weeks.

90% of PSLs are a flop. But don't go painting them as stupid across the board. Plenty a scalper bought them to, and that is all math.

For instance, row one where jets come out, $120 ticket, $250 down and no PSL payment till 2011. Year one, with PSL payment ticket price is $120 + $25 = $$145. Seats are selling at $350 a ticket for the better games. Scalper bought under dummy corp and can walk away anytime.

There are most likely 1,000 -5,000 seats that fit this equation. Unless you know someone's exact seat location, their cost (PSL+Ticket price) vs. historical prices for the seat in secondary market (data sites like seatgeek or stubhub sells to scalpers) hard to know if it is a stupid investment.

Most fans buy with their hearts and love of team and sit where they want to sit with no regard for secondary market. They paid through nose blindly to sit where they want and they may be very happy. As it is not an investment at all. They know it is like a time share or new car, a big money loser but if they like it they like it.

But I am stating for the record if every PSL was a bad deal there would not have been scalpers buying blocks of seats in certain sections and in certain rows.

Worst argument ever.

i'd rather have 3 plasmas than a PSL and then cherry pick a game here and there on stubhub. it's not an "argument" it's a preference that i think many people share. you don't - good for you.

And if you can get the same life spam out of that so called plasma tv that you are referring to, that you will get out of the New Meadowlands Stadium please let me know your secret. Remember we are in 2010 not the 1960's. Please try again and think a little bit harder next time. The plasma tv vs Psl debate died with HD-dvd players.

:rim:

fail. your argument assumes you will only use the TVs to watch jets games. you will get many more hours of useage out of a plasma TV's lifespan than a PSL over 30 years not to mention you still have to buy the tickets.

i'd rather have 3 plasmas than a PSL and then cherry pick a game here and there on stubhub. it's not an "argument" it's a preference that i think many people share. you don't - good for you.

Good for you, but that has nothing at all to do with a PSL that has to do with how you like to watch the game.

Basically you are saying even if it were free to go, you would sit at home and watch.

Good for you, but that has nothing at all to do with a PSL that has to do with how you like to watch the game.

Basically you are saying even if it were free to go, you would sit at home and watch.

"...cherry pick a game here and there on stubhub."

reading comprehension is important

fail. your argument assumes you will only use the TVs to watch jets games. you will get many more hours of useage out of a plasma TV's lifespan than a PSL over 30 years not to mention you still have to buy the tickets.

I am not trying to defend PSL's, there are far better things to spend your money on. All I am saying is that your plasma tv that you buy will not last you 30 years. Within that time spam you will be buying a couple of TV's and not just one. We as consumers can always say if I don't buy this, I can buy that. This is what we call LIFE. A guy that buys a BMW 5 series can say, for 50,000 dollars I can buy two Honda's and give one to the Mrs. I for one would rather not have to pay for a PSL. But as a first time Jets STH this whole PSL situation has given me the chance to do so. And the money spent, won't feel that bad with all of the memories that will be gained from taking my son to the games. That experience and the time spent is something that I look forward to.

I am not trying to defend PSL's, there are far better things to spend your money on. All I am saying is that your plasma tv that you buy will not last you 30 years. Within that time spam you will be buying a couple of TV's and not just one. We as consumers can always say if I don't buy this, I can buy that. This is what we call LIFE. A guy that buys a BMW 5 series can say, for 50,000 dollars I can buy two Honda's and give one to the Mrs. I for one would rather not have to pay for a PSL. But as a first time Jets STH this whole PSL situation has given me the chance to do so. And the money spent, won't feel that bad with all of the memories that will be gained from taking my son to the games. That experience and the time spent is something that I look forward to.

a cookie jar lasts 30 years and a car doesn't - is a cookie jar worth more than a car? it's about hours of use, not about how many years you have it. average plasma lasts 25,000 hours. assuming you spend 8 hrs at each game including tailgating that's 3,125 football games or 390 seasons.

a cookie jar lasts 30 years and a car doesn't - is a cookie jar worth more than a car? it's about hours of use, not about how many years you have it.

That all depends on who you ask!!!!!!! To a guy that lives in NYC, a cookie jar might be a better investment then a car. I women that lives in Asia, a cookie jar might be a better investment. Do I really need to start typing like a middle school kid for people to understand my point?

That all depends on who you ask!!!!!!! To a guy that lives in NYC, a cookie jar might be a better investment then a car. I women that lives in Asia, a cookie jar might be a better investment. Do I really need to start typing like a middle school kid for people to understand my point?

and my point is stupid? haha.

if it all depends on who you ask, why is my viewpoint not as valid as the ridiculous hypothetical moron in your post who prefers a cookie jar over a car?

The worth of everything in the world all depends on the person looking to buy that item. And comparing a car to a cookie jar is something that my 6 year old son would do!

again, if it's all in the eye of the beholder why are you so wound up by my statement that i'd prefer 3 plasmas to a PSL?

ironic that you mock my cookie jar comment but then humorously concoct a scenario where the cookie jar could be more valuable to someone.

and my point is stupid? haha.

if it all depends on who you ask, why is my viewpoint not as valid as the ridiculous hypothetical moron in your post who prefers a cookie jar over a car?

Why judge somebody on what they prefer??? Do you understand what the word WORTH means? If so please tell me the answer. And calling somebody a moron based on what they prefer just lets me know that I need to stop going back and forth with you. Sorry I only have conversations with adults.

Why judge somebody on what they prefer??? Do you understand what the word WORTH means? If so please tell me the answer. And calling somebody a moron based on what they prefer just lets me know that I need to stop going back and forth with you. Sorry I only have conversations with adults.

aw, no more back and forth? oh gee, please, punish me more.

and i didn't call anyone a moron for their choice to buy PSLs. i said i prefer 3 plasmas to PSLs and you went psycho. practice what you preach.

Again I will say I am not knocking somebody for buying a plasma tv instead of a PSL. But just be honest and say I will be buying a couple of plasma tv's instead of a PSL. One tv won't last you 30 years.

you are making a faulty assumption that renders your cost/benefit analysis untenable. you will get many more hours of use from just one plasma TV than a PSL unless you and the new stadium live to be over 300 years old. and let's not forget, you're still on the hook to buy the tickets.

PSL+tickets is very expensive entertainment per hour of game. a plasma tv is very cheap entertainment per hour of tv watched over its lifetime. lot more bang for your buck from 3 plasmas than 1 PSL. if you prefer PSLs, great, but don't kid yourself by saying it's some sort of objective good investment. it's completely subjective value.

you are making a faulty assumption that renders your cost/benefit analysis untenable. you will get many more hours of use from just one plasma TV than a PSL unless you and the new stadium live to be over 300 years old. and let's not forget, you're still on the hook to buy the tickets.

PSL+tickets is very expensive entertainment per hour of game. a plasma tv is very cheap entertainment per hour of tv watched over its lifetime. lot more bang for your buck from 3 plasmas than 1 PSL. if you prefer PSLs, great, but don't kid yourself by saying it's some sort of objective good investment. it's completely subjective value.

I never said that buying a PSL over a plasma tv was a better value. For anybody buying a PSL, you are doing so because you prefer going to games and having that experience over sitting at home watching it on TV. Are you paying more then buying a 50inch 3D Sony Tv, yes! Watching games on Tv is great, I have been doing it for years. But I for one rather be there even if it cost a lot more money to do so. But at the end of the day maybe it is better to think like you. I need to explain to my wife how it would be much cheaper to buy a new plasma tv and watch a family trip to Paris on dvd then to actually go there in person. I hope you would agree with that one!

I never said that buying a PSL over a plasma tv was a better value. For anybody buying a PSL, you are doing so because you prefer going to games and having that experience over sitting at home watching it on TV. Are you paying more then buying a 50inch 3D Sony Tv, yes! Watching games on Tv is great, I have been doing it for years. But I for one rather be there even if it cost a lot more money to do so. But at the end of the day maybe it is better to think like you. I need to explain to my wife how it would be much cheaper to buy a new plasma tv and watch a family trip to Paris on dvd then to actually go there in person. I hope you would agree with that one!

if you thought value was in the eye of the beholder you wouldn't be letting your emotions run your fingers.

i don't fault people for buying PSLs+tickets. i do fault them for trying to make it out like a good investment or a logical allocation of money -- nothing about being a jets fan is logical. :)

If the games were free and 5 minutes from your house would you go to most?

if you thought value was in the eye of the beholder you wouldn't be letting your emotions run your fingers.

i don't fault people for buying PSLs+tickets. i do fault them for trying to make it out like a good investment or a logical allocation of money -- nothing about being a jets fan is logical. :)

I think you are trying to say run through your fingers, look I just helped you edit your own post. And don't worry I won't charge you a fee, don't want to take money away from your plasma fund.

Please go back and read my first post. When and if you read my first post you will, or should understand the point that I am trying to make. I will say this again, there is not one single TV that you will buy today in 2010 that will last you 30 years, not even 15. It really is as simple as that! Through those years you will be buying a couple of plasma Tv's. If you are a newbie to the whole Hd Tv thing and think that these amazing sets will last as long as your grandfathers Tv from the 40's then I am here to tell you they won't. I never said that a PSL is a good investment. Please read my sig as well. Again, I will answer are you saving money buying a couple of HD sets through the 30 years vs buying a PSL? YES

If the games were free and 5 minutes from your house would you go to most?

I'm curious, how much is parking at the new stadium? Gillette charges $40 - to this day that bugs the sh*t out of me. How much is a beer? I'm not a beer drinker, but they have Margarita stands at Gillette - 1 margarita is $12, a medium dd coffe $3.50 a bottle of water- $4.50 I think? It's just outrageous. A good seat at Gillette $169.00. I am being robbed, really....and I keep going back and getting robbed some more. I can't imagine paying for a PSL which essentially means I'm paying for the right to be robbed. And Lord knows, I hate getting "robbed" in the cold winter. This is why I now pick and choose my games and end up attending four a season. The rest are at home on my 50" plasma or at a local pub with like-minded patsie fans.

Theres nothing like a a game day experience at the game. Regardless if its 100 degrees or 20 degrees below. I was a season ticket holder for 20 years. I had 2 lowers and 4 uppers. A few years ago I gave up the lowers and kept the uppers. I attended 95% of all home games. It was like a job preparing,cooking,cleaning up. I would have bumped back from row 26 to a higher location. I chose to give up the tickets. This doesnt make me anyless of a fan. I now buy tickets from others or stubhub.

There is definitely a monetary savings in not attending games. Ive purchased 3 LCD TVs and actually turned my backyard into a party zone on gamedays regardless of the weather.

For those that chose to be part of the PSL experience good for you and good luck.

I'm curious, how much is parking at the new stadium? Gillette charges $40 - to this day that bugs the sh*t out of me. How much is a beer? I'm not a beer drinker, but they have Margarita stands at Gillette - 1 margarita is $12, a medium dd coffe $3.50 a bottle of water- $4.50 I think? It's just outrageous. A good seat at Gillette $169.00. I am being robbed, really....and I keep going back and getting robbed some more. I can't imagine paying for a PSL which essentially means I'm paying for the right to be robbed. And Lord knows, I hate getting "robbed" in the cold winter. This is why I now pick and choose my games and end up attending four a season. The rest are at home on my 50" plasma or at a local pub with like-minded patsie fans.

Parking is $25/game so $250/year

Who knows what food will end up costing as it is a new company... but I will hopefully be doing most of my drinking and eating at the "Tailgate Joe" tailgate...

I think you are trying to say run through your fingers, look I just helped you edit your own post. And don't worry I won't charge you a fee, don't want to take money away from your plasma fund.

Please go back and read my first post. When and if you read my first post you will, or should understand the point that I am trying to make. I will say this again, there is not one single TV that you will buy today in 2010 that will last you 30 years, not even 15. It really is as simple as that! Through those years you will be buying a couple of plasma Tv's. If you are a newbie to the whole Hd Tv thing and think that these amazing sets will last as long as your grandfathers Tv from the 40's then I am here to tell you they won't. I never said that a PSL is a good investment. Please read my sig as well. Again, I will answer are you saving money buying a couple of HD sets through the 30 years vs buying a PSL? YES

no, your emotions are running your fingers - as in controlling what you type.

and it is you who isn't t listening. a stone will last forever, so what? it's about amount of utility, not length of existence that determines objective value. you will use a television for many, many more hours during its 7 or 10 year life time than you will ever spend with your butt in a seat at a Jets game. I have made this point clearly, and the fact that you continue to ignore it and advance the red herring that a "tv won't last 30 years" shows that you have no response for it:

average plasma lasts 25,000 hours. assuming you spend 8 hrs at each game including tailgating that's 3,125 football games or 390 seasons.

maybe an analogy will help. there are two cars: car A and car B. car A is left in a garage and driven only on special occasions on 8 sundays a year and after 30 years it has only been driven 10,000 miles and is still in perfect working order. car B is driven daily for several hours and after 10 years it finally breaks down when the odometer reads 175,000 miles. is car A "better" because it still works after 30 years? of course not. its mileage that counts. that is what i'm saying. you don't use the plasma for only 8 sundays a year (10 if you include preseason). you have to divide the cost by the hours of entertainment provided. the plasma is pennies per hour, the games are hundreds. to wit: you really have to SUBJECTIVELY like watching a game in person to justify the massive price differential.

besides you can afford THREE top of the line plasmas for the price of one PSL. and yes, TVs can last 10 years (especially if you only use it as often as you will use your PSL - about 10 times a year for 4 hours each which the average plasma would last 635 years - the only reason it doesn't "last as long as a PSL" is because you use the heck out of it!) so even by your flawed logic and using the tv to watch all sorts of stuff well beyond jets games, $5000 probably can keep a TV in your house for 30 straight years (you can actually get 4 or 5 replacement tvs for the price of a PSL factoring the time value of money).

while it is true that there is nothing like being there at game day, it is a great experience, it has a very high subjective value to many and i fault no one for buying PSLs and tickets. but its objective value is quite low and those who try to justify buying PSLs by referring to objective value are likely trying only to convince themselves (or their wives) that they made a logical purchase. when in reality it needs no such defense: if you like it, that should be enough.

if you derive enough pleasure from watching games live than buy the PSLs. but don't kid yourself: fandom is subjective.

now if you want to continue the back and forth (long after you said you were done with it, nice empty threat) than by all means do, but i've said all there is to say on the matter in this post.

Theres nothing like a a game day experience at the game. Regardless if its 100 degrees or 20 degrees below. I was a season ticket holder for 20 years. I had 2 lowers and 4 uppers. A few years ago I gave up the lowers and kept the uppers. I attended 95% of all home games. It was like a job preparing,cooking,cleaning up. I would have bumped back from row 26 to a higher location. I chose to give up the tickets. This doesnt make me anyless of a fan. I now buy tickets from others or stubhub.

There is definitely a monetary savings in not attending games. Ive purchased 3 LCD TVs and actually turned my backyard into a party zone on gamedays regardless of the weather.

For those that chose to be part of the PSL experience good for you and good luck.

PSLs change the cost/benefit analysis of watching the game in person or elsewhere. with PSL savings you can literally build a party zone as you describe. and you can use the party zone for away games and other events, as well.

Archived