Day One Practice Notes

Maxman

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5430950

CORTLAND, N.Y. -- The New York Jets conducted their first practice Monday without cornerback Darrelle Revis, who is holding out for a new contract. When he reports is anybody's guess, but the Jets believe they've made two substantial offers to Revis.

As general manager Mike Tannenbaum revealed Sunday, they made long- and short-term proposals to Revis, both of which were flatly rejected. The longer deal, ESPNNewYork.com confirmed, is more than $100 million in maximum value.

Jets blog

Jets Looking for more information on the green and white? ESPNNewYork.com has you covered. Blog

How much of that is fully guaranteed wasn't immediately known. That is a huge part to the puzzle. Obviously, it wasn't enough to satisfy Revis, who wants to become the highest-paid cornerback in the NFL. Revis, due to make $1 million, is seeking about $16 million per year.

"If he signs a contract one day before the first game, he'll be in the starting lineup," coach Rex Ryan said.

Dwight Lowery worked mostly with the first-team defense Monday alongside Antonio Cromartie, who was moved from right cornerback to Revis' normal left-side spot.

Revis' absence wasn't what Ryan blamed for a practice missing energy.

"I was expecting sparks to fly a little bit," said Ryan, who wore Converse sneakers to practice as part of a yearly tradition for him.

He mentioned a distinct lack of communication between the defensive backs and linebackers.

"We had a lot of free runners in the back end which is never a good sign," Ryan said.

He also revealed that team doctors advised LaDainian Tomlinson to miss the conditioning test due to a hamstring injury, but the running back wouldn't have it.

"He made it, Ryan said. "He's in great shape. He looks super."

Ryan said Jason Taylor's shoulder isn't bothering him.

Ryan saw some good things at the first practice. He started his press conference by congratulating himself on picking backup fullback John Conner in this year's draft. The Kentucky product knocked the wind out of three linebackers his first practice, which made Ryan smile.

Ryan admitted that having the veteran Mark Brunell to mentor Mark Sanchez was a good move. He said he resisted the idea last season with Matt Cavanaugh on staff and reluctantly said he might not have had all the answers his first year as a head coach.

Like last season, Ryan knows that the brash talk might get him in trouble if the team doesn't back it up during the regular season. That's a risk he'll take.

"Trust me I've been wrong a bunch, but I know one thing, we expect to win here," Ryan said.

"Our goal has never changed, you can write it this year last year our goal is to win the Super Bowl," Ryan said. "I don't care if you like it, I don't care whatever, makes no sense, people laughed at us -- and we backed it up with a huge exception."

Rich Cimini covers the Jets for ESPNNewYork.com. Information from ESPNNewYork.com's Jane McManus and The Associated Press was used in this report.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2010/08/rookie_joe_mcknight_was_frustr.html

Rookie Joe McKnight was 'frustrated' to fail first conditioning run

Published: Monday, August 02, 2010, 2:09 PM Updated: Monday, August 02, 2010, 2:39 PM

Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

After standing out in the wrong way at rookie minicamp -- throwing up and dropping passes -- rookie Joe McKnight knew he really raised eyebrows when he failed his first conditioning run last week.

"Yeah, I was frustrated," McKnight said after the Jets' first practice today. "Because I felt like I was behind with the rookie minicamp what happened there ... I really wanted to come out and prove myself. I felt frustrated, but I have to let it go and just focus on the future."

Coach Rex Ryan has defended McKnight, saying he had a bad day and that when he eventually passed the test in 103-degree heat.

McKnight muffed a kickoff and dropped a pass in today's morning practice. But Ryan remains confident that he's a talent, and says he's also "a lot bigger" than he looks.

"He’s a young man I think is a little hyped up sometimes," Ryan said. "He did that first mini-camp also; he'd run the ball throw up, run the ball throw up. But if you look at him, he's an impressive kid now."

McKnight maintained that he is in shape and spent the summer working out, including runs at the Los Angeles Coliseum where USC plays.

"I kind of burned myself out over break, went too hard over break, and didn’t give myself enough time to rest," McKnight said. "I just did that, so I could come into camp and be in shape. It was a bad day, but I finished the test Sunday morning."

Laveranues Coles said Ryan was up front with him before he came to the Jets, making clear that after Santonio Holmes returns from his suspension, Coles could be cut or have his role significantly reduced. But the veteran receiver was anxious to come back to the team that drafted him -- and to retire here.

"I think this situation fits me better than any," Coles said.

There are no developments on the Revis holdout front, but LB Bart Scott made it clear he's not worried about heading into the season without the Jets' All-Pro cornerback.

"I can't envision playing this season without Darrelle Revis," Scott said.

Mark Brunell says he's 'not here to just hang out with the quarterbacks.' »

By Manish Mehta

CORTLAND -- Mark Brunell may be closing in on the Big 4-0, but he’s admittedly feels fresher than he has in memory.

The reason?

“I haven’t played in five years,” the three-time Pro Bowler cracked after the Jets’ first training camp practice this morning. “I feel great.”

First and foremost, Brunell was signed last week to mentor Mark Sanchez, a move that suits the 17-year veteran just fine.

“Already we’re off to a good start,” Brunell said. “I think we’re going to have a good working relationship. He’s a great kid and he’s a hard worker. Obviously he has ability. This is a critical year for him. So I’m excited to be a part of it.”

Sanchez reached out to Brunell with four simple words after the team’s conditioning test in Florham Park Sunday morning: “You need a ride?”

The two quarterbacks made the three-hour drive to Cortland together, sharing stories about football and family along the way. (They arrived in record time: "He drove," Brunell said. "We got here a lot quicker than if I would… He was flying.")

“We talked some football,” Sanchez said. “We talked life. He’s great to have around so far. Maybe he’ll get on my nerves sooner or later… Just kidding.”

The 39-year-old Brunell has just one start and 30 pass attempts in the past three seasons. He has one more start (10) than Kellen Clemens (9) in the past four years. Despite the relative inactivity, Brunell maintained that didn’t just sign with the Jets to serve as an on-field coach for Sanchez.

"It's not here to just hang out with the quarterbacks,” Brunell said. “If called upon, I’m here to play and perform. Wherever I fall on the depth chart… my job during the preseason and regular season is to move the team. That’s first and foremost in my mind. That’s what this camp is for and that’s what I’m preparing for. At the same time, I know I have an opportunity to share some insight with some guys. I’ve been around for a long time and certainly willing to help those guys in any way I possibly can.”

Al though Rex Ryan anointed Brunell as the No. 2 signal caller heading into camp, Kellen Clemens could challenge to be Sanchez’s top backup. In other words, Clemens’ days on the team aren’t necessarily numbered.

However, it appears Brunell has the inside track to be the primary backup at this point.

“He sees the field so well,” Ryan said of Brunell. “(Sanchez) has a guy sitting right next to him. He’s got a great mentor in (quarterbacks coach) Matt Cavanaugh. So he’s getting the player perspective who’s sitting right next to him, he’s getting the coach right there with Matt Cavanaugh, and oh by the way, he’s got Brian Schottenheimer… I know (Brunell’s) going to help all the quarterbacks.”

Sanchez plans on picking up anything and everything for Brunell, who was an invaluable resource for Drew Brees in New Orleans last season.

“I’m trying to soak all that up and be mature beyond my years,” Sanchez said. “I want to make decisions for my team - on the field, off the field - more mature than a sophomore year player. To do that, I need help from him.”

“He’s got a great feel,” Sanchez added. “He’s a good people person. So those are things I’m working -- being a leader for this team. I can really feed off him.”

NOTES:

Laveranues Coles understands that his third stint with the Jets may be a short one. The veteran wideout had no offers until the Jets called. It’s no surprise that his career is winding down.

“I’m a realist,” Coles said. “I look at things the way it is. Of course they have a great core without me. The circumstances call for them to bring somebody else in like myself, a veteran guy, to try and help out while he’s gone. Coach Rex (Ryan) was straight forward and honest with me and said that it’s something we’ll deal with and approach when the time comes at four weeks when Santonio (Holmes) comes back. Of course it’s always a probability of him saying, “You’re being released.” There’s a probability of, “Your role is being reduced.” There’s a probability of a number of things. Just being straight forward and understanding the situation, it was great for me. Whenever somebody comes forward and tells you straight up that this is the situation, this is what it is, you can’t help but go with it.”

Said Ryan: “There’s no guarantee that he makes it. He may go in and have an unbelievable season where it’s impossible to keep him off the field. But I’m also realistic enough to know that Holmes comes back in Week 5, Santonio Holmes is here.”

Ryan praised rookie fullback John Conner for standing out in the morning practice:

“He was blasting guys,” Ryan said. “He took the wind out of three linebackers today. I don’t think I’ve ever seen that before. He’s a thumper. … As Mike (Tannenbaum) says, I get one (draft) pick a year. That was my pick. I don’t know about you guys, but I think it was pretty good.”

Matt Slauson took the first-team snaps at left tackle during 11-on-11 team drills. Rookie Vlad Ducasse will likely take first-team reps in the afternoon as the two players battle for Alan Faneca’s old spot.

Nick Folk was 7-for-8 in field goals… Sanchez was unofficially 4-for-9 in 11-on-11s.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2010/08/mark-brunell-im-not-here-to-ju.html#ixzz0vTbTudcC

Mark Brunell says he's 'not here to just hang out with the quarterbacks.' »

By Manish Mehta

CORTLAND -- Mark Brunell may be closing in on the Big 4-0, but he’s admittedly feels fresher than he has in memory.

The reason?

“I haven’t played in five years,” the three-time Pro Bowler cracked after the Jets’ first training camp practice this morning. “I feel great.”

First and foremost, Brunell was signed last week to mentor Mark Sanchez, a move that suits the 17-year veteran just fine.

“Already we’re off to a good start,” Brunell said. “I think we’re going to have a good working relationship. He’s a great kid and he’s a hard worker. Obviously he has ability. This is a critical year for him. So I’m excited to be a part of it.”

Sanchez reached out to Brunell with four simple words after the team’s conditioning test in Florham Park Sunday morning: “You need a ride?”

The two quarterbacks made the three-hour drive to Cortland together, sharing stories about football and family along the way. (They arrived in record time: "He drove," Brunell said. "We got here a lot quicker than if I would… He was flying.")

“We talked some football,” Sanchez said. “We talked life. He’s great to have around so far. Maybe he’ll get on my nerves sooner or later… Just kidding.”

The 39-year-old Brunell has just one start and 30 pass attempts in the past three seasons. He has one more start (10) than Kellen Clemens (9) in the past four years. Despite the relative inactivity, Brunell maintained that didn’t just sign with the Jets to serve as an on-field coach for Sanchez.

"It's not here to just hang out with the quarterbacks,” Brunell said. “If called upon, I’m here to play and perform. Wherever I fall on the depth chart… my job during the preseason and regular season is to move the team. That’s first and foremost in my mind. That’s what this camp is for and that’s what I’m preparing for. At the same time, I know I have an opportunity to share some insight with some guys. I’ve been around for a long time and certainly willing to help those guys in any way I possibly can.”

Al though Rex Ryan anointed Brunell as the No. 2 signal caller heading into camp, Kellen Clemens could challenge to be Sanchez’s top backup. In other words, Clemens’ days on the team aren’t necessarily numbered.

However, it appears Brunell has the inside track to be the primary backup at this point.

“He sees the field so well,” Ryan said of Brunell. “(Sanchez) has a guy sitting right next to him. He’s got a great mentor in (quarterbacks coach) Matt Cavanaugh. So he’s getting the player perspective who’s sitting right next to him, he’s getting the coach right there with Matt Cavanaugh, and oh by the way, he’s got Brian Schottenheimer… I know (Brunell’s) going to help all the quarterbacks.”

Sanchez plans on picking up anything and everything for Brunell, who was an invaluable resource for Drew Brees in New Orleans last season.

“I’m trying to soak all that up and be mature beyond my years,” Sanchez said. “I want to make decisions for my team - on the field, off the field - more mature than a sophomore year player. To do that, I need help from him.”

“He’s got a great feel,” Sanchez added. “He’s a good people person. So those are things I’m working -- being a leader for this team. I can really feed off him.”

NOTES:

Laveranues Coles understands that his third stint with the Jets may be a short one. The veteran wideout had no offers until the Jets called. It’s no surprise that his career is winding down.

“I’m a realist,” Coles said. “I look at things the way it is. Of course they have a great core without me. The circumstances call for them to bring somebody else in like myself, a veteran guy, to try and help out while he’s gone. Coach Rex (Ryan) was straight forward and honest with me and said that it’s something we’ll deal with and approach when the time comes at four weeks when Santonio (Holmes) comes back. Of course it’s always a probability of him saying, “You’re being released.” There’s a probability of, “Your role is being reduced.” There’s a probability of a number of things. Just being straight forward and understanding the situation, it was great for me. Whenever somebody comes forward and tells you straight up that this is the situation, this is what it is, you can’t help but go with it.”

Said Ryan: “There’s no guarantee that he makes it. He may go in and have an unbelievable season where it’s impossible to keep him off the field. But I’m also realistic enough to know that Holmes comes back in Week 5, Santonio Holmes is here.”

Ryan praised rookie fullback John Conner for standing out in the morning practice:

“He was blasting guys,” Ryan said. “He took the wind out of three linebackers today. I don’t think I’ve ever seen that before. He’s a thumper. … As Mike (Tannenbaum) says, I get one (draft) pick a year. That was my pick. I don’t know about you guys, but I think it was pretty good.”

Matt Slauson took the first-team snaps at left tackle during 11-on-11 team drills. Rookie Vlad Ducasse will likely take first-team reps in the afternoon as the two players battle for Alan Faneca’s old spot.

Nick Folk was 7-for-8 in field goals… Sanchez was unofficially 4-for-9 in 11-on-11s.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2010/08/mark-brunell-im-not-here-to-ju.html#ixzz0vTbTudcC

Folk 7 for 8 is good. Brunell is never going to get into a game unless we have a 40 to 0 score.

7 for 8 is good but even if he has a perfect preseason it is going to take awhile until I am confident in him! That would be big for the Jets though if he steps up and regains his rookie form.

my surprise training camp cut this year is t-rich. the teams very deep this year and theyre going to need every possible roster spot. how do you allocate two for fullbacks?

Long Term deal over 100mil for Mevi$ and thats not good enough. Oh boy.

4-9 for Sanchez. 8-9 for Folk. hmmmmph?

LT injured already.

McKnight has a vagina.

Conner is a beast, wonder if he can be a backup ILB? lol. Knocking the wind out of people? Love it!

Lowery taking #2 reps over Wilson, no shock there.

And Coles is good with his future being uncertain.

Interesting day 1. Cant wait for Hard Knocks. Hope we see some of those Conner shots.

Ryan saw some good things at the first practice. He started his press conference by congratulating himself on picking backup fullback John Conner in this year's draft. The Kentucky product knocked the wind out of three linebackers his first practice, which made Ryan smile.

:-D

ah to be a fly on the dashboard for that ride.........

Dude, he was talking about "rides" transportation-wise, not sexual. Gosh.

The Conner stuff is interesting. The fact that he's Rex's pick could squeeze T-Rich out. Tough to carry two FB's, and there's no way I see the Jets try to slip Conner on their practice squad. If they plan to just use the FB as a battering ram in the running game (i.e.: no pass protection), it's a pretty easy move to make.

McKnight sounds like a kid who really needs to be treated with kid gloves. Lots of nerves. I wouldn't trust him with much of a role in the regular season. I suspect there will be future beatings around here as he goes thru some growing pains. Wouldn't be surprised if the cameras are on him quite a bit on Hard Knocks, either.

Like that Rex is coming right out and saying that if Revis signs the day before the opener, he'll be the opening day starter. That's the right thing for him to say.

Coles being comfortable is a good thing. Be interesting to see what he has left. I know he appreciates the honesty from Rex. How long he lasts may come down to the health of the Jets WR's, and the need for bodies on ST's.

I still think Brad Smith should be listed as the #2 QB on gamedays, and still don't give a crap about the kicker situation.

PM Session:

http://www.thejetsblog.com/2010/08/02/no-sparks-but-practice-in-the-books/#more-27169

CORTLAND–The Jets first practice went off without a hitch, although by everyone’s admission, there’s still a little rust to knock off. As Rex Ryan said afterward, “I was expecting a little more sparks to fly.”

Mark Sanchez made a similar comment saying, “We weren’t as crisp and sharp as we’d like to be yet.” Sanchez was sporting a t-shirt from the camp he held in California in mid-July for the offensive skill players. Dubbed Jets West, the group worked on offensive drills and also made the rounds to events like the Home Run Derby and the ESPY Awards.

Ryan joked that he’d almost like a fight to break out just to stir things up a bit. By the way, his money is on Rob Turner and James Ihedigbo to be the first combatants from each side of the ball – not a stretch based on last year’s training camp.

Notable in his absence was Darrelle Revis, now in day two of his holdout. However, Ryan made the point that regardless of how long Revis is out, he will walk right back into his job. “If he signs a contract one day before the first game, Darrelle will be starting. It’s as simple as that,” said Ryan.

Also not on the field, but working on the sidelines with members of the conditioning staff, were Kellen Clemens and Kris Jenkins still rehabbing their injuries – Clemens with a calf and Jenkins with a hamstring.

One person Ryan was quite happy with was fullback John Conner who goes by the nickname “The Terminator.” Conner more than earned the moniker today. “He took the breath out of three guys,” said Ryan.

Back for his third stint in a Jets uniform was Laveranues Coles, who looked and sounded as happy as could be. “It was the right situation,” he said of re-signing with the Jets, who brought him in to fill the hole that will be there when Santonio Holmes serves his four-game suspension. “I’m a realist,” Coles said, “they have a great core without me.” Coles has been told that while there are numerous scenarios for him, one is that he could be released upon Holmes’ return.

Coles is fine with whatever happens. “This is it. The boat stops here,” he said. “I was gonna sign a one-day deal [to retire a Jet]. Whether they wanted me or not, I was coming back here. When I got a call from here, I lit up.”

http://www.thejetsblog.com/2010/08/02/woody-johnson-discusses-darrelle-revis/#more-27244

• Laveranues Coles also switched his number from 85 to 19 sometime between the morning and afternoon practices. David Clowney of course is wearing Coles’ original number 87.

Vlad Ducasse and Matt Slauson continue to rotate at left guard.

Afternoon practice was rather quiet. Vernon Gholston got a rise out of the crowd after batting down a passs from Mark Sanchez during 11-on-11s.

Still getting used to seeing Bryan Thomas in number 58 after he and Jason Taylor brokered a deal with Taylor coming out owning 99.

Laveranues Coles also switched his number from 85 to 19 sometime between the morning and afternoon practices. David Clowney of course is wearing Coles’ original number 87.

Still getting used to seeing Bryan Thomas in number 58 after he and Jason Taylor brokered a deal with Taylor coming out owning 99.

I don't think I'd like Lava wearing what I still consider to be Wesley Walker's number, but the idea of him wearing Keyshawn's number makes me smile. smile.gif

I'm now officially pissed off at Bryan Thomas. F Jason Taylor. They should've given him one of Vernon Gholston's old jerseys.

I recapped some notes from the PM session: http://www.jetnation.com/2010/08/03/jets-camp-notes-day-one-pm/

Jets Camp Notes: Day One (PM)

New York Jets

by Phil Sullivan on August 3, 2010[edit]

in Camp Reports

Here are news and notes from the afternoon practice on the first day on New York Jets training camp.

* Cimini tweets that Dwight Lowery is getting extra work with Revis out.

* On TheJetsBlog Lisa Zimmerman had several observations:

1. Laveranues Coles also switched his number from 85 to 19 sometime between the morning and afternoon practices. David Clowney of course is wearing Coles’ original number 87.

2. Vlad Ducasse and Matt Slauson continue to rotate at left guard.

3. Afternoon practice was rather quiet. Vernon Gholston got a rise out of the crowd after batting down a passs from Mark Sanchez during 11-on-11s.

4. Still getting used to seeing Bryan Thomas in number 58 after he and Jason Taylor brokered a deal with Taylor coming out owning 99.

Manish Mehta also had this to say about Woody Johnson’s comments today about being willing to meet directly with Revis. Here is another update where Woody says cash flow problems are not the issue here.

* Tannenbaum will reach out 2 Revis’ representatives 2night/2morrow &reiterate Woody’s position aboutt setting up face2 face meeting

You are pissed at one teammate for making another teammate feel welcomed onto the team, but fully support another teammate for abandoning the team. You are an odd fellow.

Its Jason Taylor dude. We're talking about a guy who, oh I don't know, OPENLY HATED THE JETS AND THEIR FANS more than just about anyone in the league before making us his home for the 2010 season. It will take a LOT to make the most ardent Jets fans root for Jason Taylor. I still can't quite believe he'll be wearing the green & white.

Archived