Terrence MF'ing Cody

SenorGato

Individually, Terrence Cody was a man against the Panthers, beating numerous double teams and causing havoc in the backfield multiple times. It really showed tonight just how strong and quick Cody can be on certain plays and poor Jimmy Clausen was scared for his life back there. Did Mount Cody really lineup at fullback? Yes, he did.

http://www.sbnation.com/2010/8/13/1621026/nfl-preseason-ravens-panthers-joe-flacco-jimmy-clausen-terrence-cody

If many will recall this is the 23 year old 350 pound DT many expected to be perfectly fit. Ignoring that he plays a valuable position well, he fell out of the first because he was not perfectly fit. He even failed his conditioning test 3 times to start camp. Despite all this, he's still been doing the whole playing football thing well. He's doing it for the Ravens.

The Ravens are a team that took another really large DT who was deemed too fat to be an elite prospect in the general view 4 years ago. He is their best DL and probably the second best big DL in the league behind Kevin Williams.

It's preseason, but our DL depth leaves alot to be desired. We've got 3 guys I trust, a really talented question mark, and then JAGs. With Ellis and Jenkins closer to retirement than not a guy like Cody would have been nice. Not that we should fear...the Dolphins might/should/could cut THE Vince Oghobaase.

It's preseason, but our DL depth leaves alot to be desired. We've got 3 guys I trust, a really talented question mark, and then JAGs. With Ellis and Jenkins closer to retirement than not a guy like Cody would have been nice. Not that we should fear...the Dolphins might/should/could cut THE Vince Oghobaase.

If Gholston gives us something this season our depth on the DL isn't all that bad. It would have been great to bring Cody in but having 4 draft picks didn't give us much flexibility. We should be drafting linemen early and often in 2011 to replace Ellis and Jenkins.

I wouldn't mind putting some FA money into a DT either...I've got my eye on Gabe Watson from the Cardinals.

I have no idea why the organization is so lax about getting talent in on the DL...Ellis and Jenkins are way closer to retirement than not.

With Gholston we have 4 DL I trust + Pace/Thomas/Scott as DEs in certain packages. That's decent, but Cody/Jenkins/Ellis packages would be fun with our LBers...or the crazy could have happened with Gholston/Cody/Jenkins/Ellis...Tom Brady, Chad Henne, and our many enemies would be crushed like leetle bugs.

I don't get why in the NFL humongous DTs like the fridge and mt cody are more likely to line up in the offensive backfield than an offensive linemen is.

On a distantly related note, just once I'd like to see Gholston on offense as a blocking TE or fullback just to see what happens.

I don't get why in the NFL humongous DTs like the fridge and mt cody are more likely to line up in the offensive backfield than an offensive linemen is.

On a distantly related note, just once I'd like to see Gholston on offense as a blocking TE or fullback just to see what happens.

If he plays well on defense at all you can expect it as early as this season. I haven't even seen the guy yet except on Hard Knocks, but I really think he'll turn out alright.

I wasn't part of the anti-Cody brigade, but you can't complain about our draft. Without Revis the Wilson pick is almost necessary. To pay Revis going forward they will probably need the money (cap-wise) they save by cutting Faneca so the Ducasse pick is also pretty necessary. If you believe that Faneca was that bad in pass protection it may have been a necessity.

I agree that the way that they neglect the DLine is puzzling, but it appears to be Rex related. He is looking for speed rushers at LB. Doesn't seem to care about tinkering with the down 3. Before Rex arrived they made some moves on the Dline. They signed Kimo, traded for Jenkins, they signed Coleman, Douglas and Green. Those mostly aren't big moves, but though showed they cared about having some known commodities. Now, without Pitoitua, they have nothing known after Ellis and Devito.

I wasn't part of the anti-Cody brigade, but you can't complain about our draft. Without Revis the Wilson pick is almost necessary. To pay Revis going forward they will probably need the money (cap-wise) they save by cutting Faneca so the Ducasse pick is also pretty necessary. If you believe that Faneca was that bad in pass protection it may have been a necessity.

I agree that the way that they neglect the DLine is puzzling, but it appears to be Rex related. He is looking for speed rushers at LB. Doesn't seem to care about tinkering with the down 3. Before Rex arrived they made some moves on the Dline. They signed Kimo, traded for Jenkins, they signed Coleman, Douglas and Green. Those mostly aren't big moves, but though showed they cared about having some known commodities. Now, without Pitoitua, they have nothing known after Ellis and Devito.

:sign0098: ... well said!!! ...

l_j_r

http://www.sbnation....n-terrence-cody

If many will recall this is the 23 year old 350 pound DT many expected to be perfectly fit. Ignoring that he plays a valuable position well, he fell out of the first because he was not perfectly fit. He even failed his conditioning test 3 times to start camp. Despite all this, he's still been doing the whole playing football thing well. He's doing it for the Ravens.

The Ravens are a team that took another really large DT who was deemed too fat to be an elite prospect in the general view 4 years ago. He is their best DL and probably the second best big DL in the league behind Kevin Williams.

Credibility gone. I defy anyone to find a single article by anyone who said Ngata was too fat to be an elite prospect, let alone enough people for that to be the general view. Totally fabricated nonsense.

Credibility gone. I defy anyone to find a single article by anyone who said Ngata was too fat to be an elite prospect, let alone enough people for that to be the general view. Totally fabricated nonsense.

This.

Ngata was a can't miss type of prospect if I recall... certainly not deemed "too fat."

This.

Ngata was a can't miss type of prospect if I recall... certainly not deemed "too fat."

If I recall most mocks had him going, at the lowest, to the Bills at #8 after they let Adams go. Hell, he was the one I was yapping away for the Jets to draft instead of Brick with Mangini switching us to a 3-4 and us having no NT (and wouldn't until, by ridiculous luck, Kris Jenkins was available 2 years later without coughing up a pick in the first 2 rounds).

If I recall most mocks had him going, at the lowest, to the Bills at #8 after they let Adams go. Hell, he was the one I was yapping away for the Jets to draft instead of Brick with Mangini switching us to a 3-4 and us having no NT (and wouldn't until, by ridiculous luck, Kris Jenkins was available 2 years later without coughing up a pick in the first 2 rounds).

Agreed, while I'm far from a draft expert, I do know Ngata was extremely highly rated in that draft and once Mario Williams was off the board, he was the guy I wanted the Jets to take at #4. Of course, in hindsight it's tough to complain about the Brick pick (which I admittedly hated at the time), but it sure would be nice to have Ngata right now.

As far as the Jets current DL situation, it's rather simple. Ryan's specialty from his position coaching days is the DL. He knows more about the position than any other and because of that, he has no problem with not stocking up on talent there and just sticking with a handful of unknowns who he just personally feels comfortable with, whether it was bringing in a guy like Douglas to start last year or handing the starting job to Devito this year. He's certainly not the first head coach to take this approach, and would much rather put more talent at the positions that he doesn't feel convinced that he can manipulate quality play out of. That said, while age is a factor going forward I'm not sure the depth is that awful this year. If Gholston continues to improve and with how good Pouha looked last year, you take those guys and add them with the numerous LBs we have who can play DE, I have no doubt Ryan feels confident he'll be fine this year. Although I do agree that DL needs to be addressed in the draft soon.

Archived