Dustin Keller

Jets Voice of Reason

The talent was apparent from that Patriots game a few years ago where he repeatedly made clutch 3rd down conversions with Favre throwing to him. But he's putting it all together and has been a beast these past games. What's really impressing me were some of the blocks he threw yesterday that lead to big plays. On one last night he blocked two guys on the same play. While it probably won't be a strength for him he's vastly improved from what he was these past couple of years. He looks primed to have a breakout season. Teams are going to have to gameplan specifically for him now and that'll make it so much easier for Holmes, Cotch, Edwards, and ultimately Sanchez.

What kind of stat line do you guys think he ends up with at the end of the season?

The talent was apparent from that Patriots game a few years ago where he repeatedly made clutch 3rd down conversions with Favre throwing to him. But he's putting it all together and has been a beast these past games. What's really impressing me were some of the blocks he threw yesterday that lead to big plays. On one last night he blocked two guys on the same play. While it probably won't be a strength for him he's vastly improved from what he was these past couple of years. He looks primed to have a breakout season. Teams are going to have to gameplan specifically for him now and that'll make it so much easier for Holmes, Cotch, Edwards, and ultimately Sanchez.

What kind of stat line do you guys think he ends up with at the end of the season?

I had this conversation with my brother last night and there were two huge things that Keller has changed that are making all of the difference in the world. The first, which may possibly be the most important, is the blocking. He's by no means great, but he's no worse than your average starting receiving TE, and he's not a liability to have out on the field. This is a huge deal as it was a major problem for him the past, particularly his rookie year. When your TE can't be counted on to be on the field on running plays, it makes things that much more difficult. And it's not like you can just pull him for every run play and put him back in for every pass. So that has allowed Keller to stay on the field, which is huge.

The other is just a matter of consistency. I'm not sure if it was just a mental issue, but in the past it seems as though Keller was just all or nothing. I felt like there was a glimpse of that in the opener, but given the circumstances I'm willing to give him a pass on that one. So far, his been playing consistent ball and not having some of the sloppy, ugly play that has gotten him into trouble in the past.

You combine those two things and it turns Keller who seemed like a guy with a lot of potential into a very dangerous player. The fact that he's also built the rapport that he has with our young QB makes it that much better. As far as a statline, I think on the high end he could possibly even eclipse his career numbers coming into this season (1057 yards, 5 TDs). While the yardage numbers may be a bit high, particularly once Holmes is back and you consider him and Sanchez won't play like this every week, on the other hand I think he'll blow through his TD numbers in no time. I think 800+ yards and 10 or so TDs is very possible.

Archived