Roger Goodell is ruining the NFL

Matt39

Stupid idiots should look into this new technology: http://themessierpro...technology.html

It's not going to eliminate them, but could very well help prevent them, like it is in hockey.

e-mail this guy

"We're turning over every stone you could imagine," said Richard Ellenbogen, chairman of the University of Washington medical school's department of neurological surgery and co-chair of the NFL's head, neck and spine medical committee.

The NFL says it has invested $10 million on the issue since 2006, including $6 million on concussion- and helmet-related research and education

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

e-mail this guy

"We're turning over every stone you could imagine," said Richard Ellenbogen, chairman of the University of Washington medical school's department of neurological surgery and co-chair of the NFL's head, neck and spine medical committee.

The NFL says it has invested $10 million on the issue since 2006, including $6 million on concussion- and helmet-related research and education

Perhaps they never heard of http://cascadesports.com/

Perhaps they never heard of http://cascadesports.com/

Hey guys, I'm here on behalf of the NFL Players Association and I was just reading through this thread. Obviously the health and medical benefits are something the players really want improved on the new labor agreement. We're trying to get as many signatures on this petition, so that when it's time to negotiate we can show the the Commissioner and the Owners how important it is that we have an 2011 NFL Season. We appreciate it!

Hey guys, I'm here on behalf of the NFL Players Association and I was just reading through this thread. Obviously the health and medical benefits are something the players really want improved on the new labor agreement. We're trying to get as many signatures on this petition, so that when it's time to negotiate we can show the the Commissioner and the Owners how important it is that we have an 2011 NFL Season. We appreciate it!

when billionaires get into a beef with millionaires, thousandaires don't have a say

all huge stakes negotiations come down to leverage and brinsmanship negotiating.

the owners will test the players resolve by at least locking out 1-3 games

at that point players realize they have no other way to make millions of dollars, but the owners do

see hockey as an example

when billionaires get into a beef with millionaires, thousandaires don't have a say

all huge stakes negotiations come down to leverage and brinsmanship negotiating.

at that point players realize they have no other way to make millions of dollars, but the owners do

see hockey as an example

If they lock them out for 1 game, the whole season is lost, per the current CBA.

see hockey as an example

Good post, Larz. I'd imagine that what it will all come down to is Goodell getting his 18 games in exchange for the players getting a bigger revenue cut and some built-in guarantees on their contracts. I think the injury thing is a farce (what can they really do?). It would be nice, too, to get compensation/insurance packages grandfathered in for retired players.

If they lock them out for 1 game, the whole season is lost, per the current CBA.

whoa

then I suspect there is some deadline for announcing the lockout for the TV guys, and whenever that is, it will probably come down to a few hours before that

Good post, Larz. I'd imagine that what it will all come down to is Goodell getting his 18 games in exchange for the players getting a bigger revenue cut and some built-in guarantees on their contracts. I think the injury thing is a farce (what can they really do?). It would be nice, too, to get compensation/insurance packages grandfathered in for retired players.

agreed

I think the huge sticking pount will be rookie contracts, the two sides are probably 75% apart on that one

whoa

then I suspect there is some deadline for announcing the lockout for the TV guys, and whenever that is, it will probably come down to a few hours before that

I hope so, they would be really stupid to lose an entire season.

The NHL did it and nothing Gary Bettman said would change, changed anyway.

He should run for president next. :face:

agreed

I think the huge sticking pount will be rookie contracts, the two sides are probably 75% apart on that one

Which shows you how big a role agents are going to play in the negotiations--they're the only ones who would have any interest in an unproven player getting paid exponentially more than some proven stars at the same position. You'd think that veteran players AND owners would rather see that money go to reward production than see a franchise get pistol-whipped by the Jamarcus Russells and Vernon Gholstons of the world.

see hockey as an example

Sere baseball where the players actually forced change, though, and the system is catered to them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

No more kick returns

:cheergal:

Gotta love it

To be fair, it seems like after every kickoff return there's a least one guy laying on his back shrieking in pain or blacked out. And those are all one-year, minimum contract guys, too. I'm not against conceding the kick return game to lower the percentage chance of a player losing his career.

To be fair, it seems like after every kickoff return there's a least one guy laying on his back shrieking in pain or blacked out. And those are all one-year, minimum contract guys, too. I'm not against conceding the kick return game to lower the percentage chance of a player losing his career.

True....but I don't believe for a second that this isnt another attempt to get the 18 game schedule.

True....but I don't believe for a second that this isnt another attempt to get the 18 game schedule.

It looks like the players are winning (so far), and hold the cards with the threat of an antitrust suit that the owners know they'll lose. I really hope the players take these douche owners out behind the woodshed with this thing. Sure, the owners will just cry poverty and turn around and boost ticket prices, but it's nice to see them eating sh*t, even for a little while.

It looks like the players are winning (so far), and hold the cards with the threat of an antitrust suit that the owners know they'll lose. I really hope the players take these douche owners out behind the woodshed with this thing. Sure, the owners will just cry poverty and turn around and boost ticket prices, but it's nice to see them eating sh*t, even for a little while.

The players are winning because they are right. And the majority of the fans know it.

The owners are really trying for this divide and conquer tactic amongst players and the fanbases...but for once, it seems people see right through it.

Players have been a little silly, and that probably is because the Fedora Guy wants to impress everyone with what a tough guy he is. May be be decertifying made sense, but not talking is stupid. The NFLPA will win in court again, and possibly hold the antitrust exemption in the balance. Which means talking brings things closer to an end. Because the closer you get to a settlement, the more the big market/new stadium clubs with debt service to pay need to play a season to pay their bills,and the less the blather of small market assholes like Richardson, Adams, Bidwill and Wilson will be given any traction. Those guys really do not want to play a season with the idea that they can break the union and somehow make even more money. In a $ 9 billion annual industry, that is idiocy on stilts. Not saying that Kraft or Snyder or Johnson or Jones or Lurie or Mara are enlightened business geniuses, but the have to be more than a little pissed off they are being led off a cliff by a collection of jerkoffs in old stadiums getting rich on TV money (that is now not coming: another piece of the small market lockout plan the courts ruled against) without a season who think they are going to win big, when EVERY LAWSUIT has gone against their business practices.

Cut the bullsh*t and make a deal already.

The players are winning because they are right. And the majority of the fans know it.

The owners are really trying for this divide and conquer tactic amongst players and the fanbases...but for once, it seems people see right through it.

In a great oversimplification-The owners and players were split on a definite amount of revenue in the most recent discussions. The owners agreed to meet halfway, and the players walked away.

You tell me who is playing harder ball?

The NFLPA is trying to become the MLBPA. Be careful what you wish for.

In a great oversimplification-The owners and players were split on a definite amount of revenue in the most recent discussions. The owners agreed to meet halfway, and the players walked away.

Based on what? Goodell's letter? Everyone saw right through that load of BS.

The NFL players were perfectly satisfied under the previous CBA.

Players have been a little silly, and that probably is because the Fedora Guy wants to impress everyone with what a tough guy he is. May be be decertifying made sense, but not talking is stupid. The NFLPA will win in court again, and possibly hold the antitrust exemption in the balance. Which means talking brings things closer to an end. Because the closer you get to a settlement, the more the big market/new stadium clubs with debt service to pay need to play a season to pay their bills,and the less the blather of small market assholes like Richardson, Adams, Bidwill and Wilson will be given any traction. Those guys really do not want to play a season with the idea that they can break the union and somehow make even more money. In a $ 9 billion annual industry, that is idiocy on stilts. Not saying that Kraft or Snyder or Johnson or Jones or Lurie or Mara are enlightened business geniuses, but the have to be more than a little pissed off they are being led off a cliff by a collection of jerkoffs in old stadiums getting rich on TV money (that is now not coming: another piece of the small market lockout plan the courts ruled against) without a season who think they are going to win big, when EVERY LAWSUIT has gone against their business practices.

Cut the bullsh*t and make a deal already.

Didn't the TV money the owners were disallowed get put into escrow? Can't they take loans out against that money? I've been wondering about that, if there's ever going to be a financial Zero Hour for owners.

BINGO!

Again-Oversimplification- There was a divide in how revenues divide. The owners met them half way. The players walked.

Isn't that also an oversimplification? The owners "meeting them halfway" was still pulling huge sums of cash off the table, while the players were saying that the owners had yet to provide any evidence that ANY money needed to be pulled off the table. It's like having a guy mug you in an alley and he takes all your cash, but after negotiations lets you keep your debit card. Either way, you still got robbed.

How do you even compare? They are different models.

You can't play that game.

In reference specifically to guarantees. The NFL has the more violent game with the least amount of contractual guarantees. That's weighted (pragmatically so) toward the owners. They (almost) never have to pay a dime for a player who can't play at the level he was playing when he signed the original deal. NBA, MLB, not the case.

Isn't that also an oversimplification? The owners "meeting them halfway" was still pulling huge sums of cash off the table, while the players were saying that the owners had yet to provide any evidence that ANY money needed to be pulled off the table. It's like having a guy mug you in an alley and he takes all your cash, but after negotiations lets you keep your debit card. Either way, you still got robbed.

We should all be robbed and feel so fortunate ;)

The danger for fans is if either side gains too much of an upper hand in the ultimate deal. The best settlement is one that benefits both sides, allows the league to grow and prosper, and both sides feel like they gained something out of the process.

If either side feels "raped", it will only bring more unrest to the sport and cause divides (see baseball in the 70's and 80's)-The fans lose most of all in those situations.

There is no "side" in this thing that fans should feel pity for.

We should all be robbed and feel so fortunate ;)

The danger for fans is if either side gains too much of an upper hand in the ultimate deal. The best settlement is one that benefits both sides, allows the league to grow and prosper, and both sides feel like they gained something out of the process.

If either side feels "raped", it will only bring more unrest to the sport and cause divides (see baseball in the 70's and 80's)-The fans lose most of all in those situations.

There is no "side" in this thing that fans should feel pity for.

Dude, the owners are going to squeeze you for every last penny, regardless of what the players make.

Archived