Sports fans are Idiots

JOJOTOWNSELL

It seems there is more than one 9-4 team who's fans are unhappy with their record. Between the past week on this site and reading this I decided that 80% of sports fans are idiots....jusging on the comments the number may go up or down!

Seriously, have we become this impatient and driven by "instant gratification" in this country........there are two 9-4 teams battling their fans for respect!!?? PLEASE!!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/16/derrick-mason-to-baltimore-fans-be-glad-were-not-buffalo-or-cincinnati/

In the last three weeks the Ravens have had a fourth-quarter lead against the Steelers turn into a loss, and big late leads turn into close games against the Buccaneers and Texans. That has led to some grousing among Baltimore fans that the Ravens need to learn to put teams away.

Ravens receiver Derrick Mason wants all those fans to be grateful for what they have.

“We could be worse,” Mason said, per the Baltimore Sun. “We could be Buffalo or Cincinnati. We could be completely out of the playoffs right now. But we’re 9-4. You can’t satisfy everybody. Obviously we’d like to be going into this week undefeated just like everybody else in the NFL wants to be. But the reality is, it don’t happen that way. Some weeks you play well, and some weeks to skate by.”

Mason notes that the Ravens are, after all, on pace to make the playoffs for the third straight year.

“I can understand the fans frustration, but they’ve got to look at the big picture,” Mason said. “Where are we? We’re 9-4 and if the playoffs happened right now, we’d be the fifth seed. Stop being a pessimist. Be an optimist. Be happy with where we are. Because honestly, it could be a lot worse.”

As Bengals and Bills fans will attest, Mason is right about that.

Suggested reading on this topic:

64539781604739541111632Pic.jpg

Point of the book is that sports stopped being sports when they became about the spectator and not the athlete. Spectators are usually a bunch of drunk assholes who consider themselves experts on everything from contract negotiations to draft scouting to pro level playing and coaching. It's not a bad point to make.

I read this site and listen to WFAN alot and one thing that always sticks out to me is the LACK OF DISCUSISION OF THE ACTUAL GAMES! People talk and write about everything from trades, schedules, free agents, why a team is gonna win, why a team is gonna lose, the coach, the gm, the players, why they are a fan, how they became a fan, why they are a better fan ect, ect......but no one ever says, "Hey, remember that 3rd and short play in the 1st quarter? man our D-Line got a great penetration against there O-line" It seems like the games have almost become an afterthought in this new age of media.

On a side note - some Jets nd Ravens fans should have their passes taken away

It seems there is more than one 9-4 team who's fans are unhappy with their record. Between the past week on this site and reading this I decided that 80% of sports fans are idiots....jusging on the comments the number may go up or down!

Seriously, have we become this impatient and driven by "instant gratification" in this country........there are two 9-4 teams battling their fans for respect!!?? PLEASE!!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/16/derrick-mason-to-baltimore-fans-be-glad-were-not-buffalo-or-cincinnati/

In the last three weeks the Ravens have had a fourth-quarter lead against the Steelers turn into a loss, and big late leads turn into close games against the Buccaneers and Texans. That has led to some grousing among Baltimore fans that the Ravens need to learn to put teams away.

Ravens receiver Derrick Mason wants all those fans to be grateful for what they have.

“We could be worse,” Mason said, per the Baltimore Sun. “We could be Buffalo or Cincinnati. We could be completely out of the playoffs right now. But we’re 9-4. You can’t satisfy everybody. Obviously we’d like to be going into this week undefeated just like everybody else in the NFL wants to be. But the reality is, it don’t happen that way. Some weeks you play well, and some weeks to skate by.”

Mason notes that the Ravens are, after all, on pace to make the playoffs for the third straight year.

“I can understand the fans frustration, but they’ve got to look at the big picture,” Mason said. “Where are we? We’re 9-4 and if the playoffs happened right now, we’d be the fifth seed. Stop being a pessimist. Be an optimist. Be happy with where we are. Because honestly, it could be a lot worse.”

As Bengals and Bills fans will attest, Mason is right about that.

40 years?

I read this site and listen to WFAN alot and one thing that always sticks out to me is the LACK OF DISCUSISION OF THE ACTUAL GAMES! People talk and write about everything from trades, schedules, free agents, why a team is gonna win, why a team is gonna lose, the coach, the gm, the players, why they are a fan, how they became a fan, why they are a better fan ect, ect......but no one ever says, "Hey, remember that 3rd and short play in the 1st quarter? man our D-Line got a great penetration against there O-line" It seems like the games have almost become an afterthought in this new age of media.

The only thing a game is useful for is determining what the attitude for the week should be.

Interestingly, it seems those complaining the loudest are the ones talking about the actual games. As, the Jets have won many games, but have not played impressive football in a long time. Also, in the actual games, the last two contained one blow-out where the whole team looked inept and a game where we had 20 chances to win, and we simply refused.

Interestingly, those watching the actual games see a QB playing poorly 3 weeks in a row, and wondering what, besides some close wins against bad teams, indicate that he, or the rest of the team, will get it together for the next game.

Those talking about the 'actual games' see serious flaws in this team and acknowledge that games against the Lions, Texans, Browns, and Broncos, although wins, didn't show me to feel good about.

What 'actual games' are you watching where these things are irrelevant?

I disagree. We have threads on certain calls at certain points in the game. We have threads recapping the game and predicting future games. We have threads breaking down key components to the game. We have threads breaking down terrible play calling.

I'd say we have plenty of those, they just often get lost in the shuffle of some pissing match between rival fans or the same talking points that consume the board over and over again ie; Schotty sucks, Sanchez sucks, Rex is fat or back in the day, Pennington sucks, Herm is dumb and Bradway drafts like a douche.

kinda makes my point for me......in 40 years you have been 9-4 maybe 2 or 3 times! this is one of the good years....attempt to enjoy it no?? Or has your fan-dom made you not able to live in the present....only dwell on the past??

When my kids play sports and they suck I tell them. When I sit next to a parent who's kid swings and strikes out and they yell, "Good cut Josh" I want to punch myself in the face. **** 9-4, **** good effort. Your either win it all or you lose. No in between.

there's an old saying in cards that if you can't spot the sucker at the table in first 5 minutes, then it's you..

exactly how long did it take you to figure out that most football fans are dumb?

This site has a nice mix of dumb fans and smart ones. You, RJF EY make up one list and I'm here to balance you braniacs out. Good thing I bulked up.

When my kids play sports and they suck I tell them. When I sit next to a parent who's kid swings and strikes out and they yell, "Good cut Josh" I want to punch myself in the face. **** 9-4, **** good effort. Your either win it all or you lose. No in between.

Crusher, im not sure im follwing this....how can you say **** 9-4, you either win it all or lose it all?? If you dont win games in the regular season you cant qualify for the playoffs, hence you cant win it all?? am i missing something here??

and do you really want to punch yourself in the face when anotehr parent encourages their kid who just failed at something?? maybe you should next time...geez man

i think Crusher just made the point....SPORTS FANS ARE IDIOTS!

Crusher, im not sure im follwing this....how can you say **** 9-4, you either win it all or lose it all?? If you dont win games in the regular season you cant qualify for the playoffs, hence you cant win it all?? am i missing something here??

and do you really want to punch yourself in the face when anotehr parent encourages their kid who just failed at something?? maybe you should next time...geez man

9-4 will be 9-5 after this weekend. 9-5 will be 9-6 after the Chicago game. 9-6 very well could be 9-7 after Buffalo. We haven;t score a ******* touchdown in 9 quarters. I do understand we need to win games in the regular season but it helps to beat teams with winning records. The way this team is playing we will either not make the playoffs or be one and done. Both suck, both win nothing, win it all or your a loser. Thats all their is. **** effort, fucck a good try, **** a good run. If this years ends with anything less than a Lombardi it's a TOTAL failure. Last year was entertaining and meant nothing. The great feelings we felt during the Cinci and SD games plus the 1st half of the AFc championship game became a bunch of nothing when the AFC game ended. 1 winner and the rest are a bunch of losers. 2nd, 3rd place? **** that.

\

I hate parents that tell their kids it's ok to suck. Killing this country with that shiit. Tell your kids the ******* truth so when they hear it as adults they will not break down and end up in therapy. I encourage my kids all the time, all 5 of them. But when they suck they suck. Rather than telling the kid "good cut" how about "keep your eye on the ball, get them next time". If they don;t hit the ball "the cut" wasn;t that good, was it?

Being a sport fan makes me a fanatic, caring about this underachieving team as much as I do makes me an idiot. No argument their.

No, I think he just made the point that sports' fans that take a game too seriously are idiots ;)

Your ability to consistently not get it is really smashing the curve here.

Rolls eyes.

Archived